What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

@Sigma Pi Your front looks good. Don't worry about the chain rub. Tires can withstand a lot more than that.

Did you change your wheel size on your dash? I believe Beringer said somewhere that the new location of the magnet and speedo sensor don't require it. Like they are at a the right distance from the axle where you can leave your bike set on a 21" wheel and it will calculate speed fine with the 17. I believe that was the case but can't find it.

And they're not answering emails until 8/20 when they're back from the Bonneville flats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

@Sigma Pi Your front looks good. Don't worry about the chain rub. Tires can withstand a lot more than that.

Did you change your wheel size on your dash? I believe Beringer said somewhere that the new location of the magnet and speedo sensor don't require it. Like they are at a the right distance from the axle where you can leave your bike set on a 21" wheel and it will calculate speed fine with the 17. I believe that was the case but can't find it.

And they're not answering emails until 8/20 when they're back from the Bonneville flats.

I have been in there where you can, but I do not bother, I have a cellphone mounted for that.   When on the street on the Sumo I am not getting crazy like its a sport bike on the freeway, I barely go 75 MPH. 

23 minutes ago, Sigma Pi said:

I have been in there where you can, but I do not bother, I have a cellphone mounted for that.   When on the street on the Sumo I am not getting crazy like its a sport bike on the freeway, I barely go 75 MPH. 

I just want to track mileage properly because I record it during maintenance. I don't look at my speedo at all!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I just want to track mileage properly because I record it during maintenance. I don't look at my speedo at all!

The app on the phone does it.  I have my phone going when ever I am riding.  It is off maybe 10% from what I can guess on the speedo VS GPS speed. 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:35 PM, HansLanda said:

What sliders are you runing front and rear?

5 hours ago, Sigma Pi said:

What sliders are you runing front and rear?

Don't have axle sliders yet. I want to get Slide Moto ones.

And speed was clearly off. I adjusted the tire size to 1886 I believe and it's accurate according to GPS.

My bike gets pretty hot but hopefully that will change when I add a Vortex and muffler. Even after adding those parts it would still be nice to simplify the radiator hoses, and use some Engine Ice or Evans to really drop the temp.

Without buying that $200 digital fan kit, do most people just use one of these thermal bolts? What's a good temp to activate the fan?
Not interested in a handlebar switch to turn it on.

ni-ra004_(3).jpg

12 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

My bike gets pretty hot but hopefully that will change when I add a Vortex and muffler. Even after adding those parts it would still be nice to simplify the radiator hoses, and use some Engine Ice or Evans to really drop the temp.

Without buying that $200 digital fan kit, do most people just use one of these thermal bolts? What's a good temp to activate the fan?
Not interested in a handlebar switch to turn it on.

ni-ra004_(3).jpg

The Vortex controls the fan, you don't need to add or modify anything else. People losing that function are running the motocross Husky ECU.

The bike is engineered to run at a certain temperature, that's what the thermostat is for, it's all part of the science of fuel injection. Eliminating the thermostat and re-routing hoses isn't advantageous, or necessary. Even with all that fancy water in the radiator, it will still warm up to the same temperature because of the thermostat, it might just cool down slightly faster.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Portmod7 said:

The Vortex controls the fan, you don't need to add or modify anything else. People losing that function are running the motocross Husky ECU.

The bike is engineered to run at a certain temperature, that's what the thermostat is for, it's all part of the science of fuel injection. Eliminating the thermostat and re-routing hoses isn't advantageous, or necessary. Even with all that fancy water in the radiator, it will still warm up to the same temperature because of the thermostat, it might just cool down slightly faster.

Ah interesting. I thought the thermostat was a bit of a bottleneck.

46 minutes ago, Portmod7 said:

Not entirely true my friend, the thermostat is there for emissions... You can remove it with the Tusk hose kit for the FX450.

14 minutes ago, crazybrother said:

Not entirely true my friend, the thermostat is there for emissions... You can remove it with the Tusk hose kit for the FX450.

I was probably a bit absolute with my post. I guess I don't truly know that it's not advantageous. But, I do know that engines run best at certain temperatures and I know that the workings of fuel injection are very temperamental and sensitive to temperature. Fuel injection also compensates for temperature, but I know that the system I built in my hot rod is a lot happier once the engine has made it to the temperature dictated by my thermostat.

In my opinion, I think it would be really hard to say one way or the other unless you were on a dyno watching the power numbers. But, I am pretty confident that the engineers designed the running temperature around the best performance of the engine. Really, I would think the stock cooling system would need to over cool to compensate for the stock lean mixture(done for emissions) that would cause the bike to run hot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Portmod7 said:

I was probably a bit absolute with my post. I guess I don't truly know that it's not advantageous. But, I do know that engines run best at certain temperatures and I know that the workings of fuel injection are very temperamental and sensitive to temperature. Fuel injection also compensates for temperature, but I know that the system I built in my hot rod is a lot happier once the engine has made it to the temperature dictated by my thermostat.

In my opinion, I think it would be really hard to say one way or the other unless you were on a dyno watching the power numbers. But, I am pretty confident that the engineers designed the running temperature around the best performance of the engine. Really, I would think the stock cooling system would need to over cool to compensate for the stock lean mixture(done for emissions) that would cause the bike to run hot.

The hot rod runs rich when the engine is cold.   When it is at operating temperature it gets off the cold start map and goes to normal map.  That temp is right around when the thermostat opens up.   The thermostat helps the bike warm up by recirculating the same water.   In super cold conditions it closes so the engine stays at operating temp. 

With that said I live in so cal and our "cold season" is 60* so I took my thermostat out, our warm season is 90-100.   The fan kicks on for me even when riding out at 60*.   I have the EU map and TPS set around .70

I have the blue samco hoses because of bling, it has a thermostat delete.  

• Like 1

I also think the engine component clearances are established around proper operating temps.  Trying to achieve colder temps could lead to premature engine wear, which is why we warm our bikes up a bit before running them hard.

• Like 2

Tpipe leaking. Gong show to remove I'm going to replace it with a Samco T pipe less points of failure and better flow.20180822_191642.jpeg

How do you like the seg pegs?
Unbelievably great. I noticed during an uphill climb Rocky section with loose Sandy rocks that I was able to stand up on 90 degree turns and feel confident about standing up while climbing

16 hours ago, Wadzy said:
16 hours ago, Sigma Pi said:
How do you like the seg pegs?

Unbelievably great. I noticed during an uphill climb Rocky section with loose Sandy rocks that I was able to stand up on 90 degree turns and feel confident about standing up while climbing

If you want to run Torx instead of hex on those 2 bolts that Steg gave you, let me know.  I had to order them from China, but I got extras.  You and I chit-chatted on Youtube earlier this year...  thx

oh and i went with double pucks, i prefer it more IMHO.

ta2.jpg

ta1.jpg