crazybrother

What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

Don't need to take the endcap (or exhaust) off at all.  Simplest way I have found is to take a Dremel tool with a metal cutoff wheel, and make a slice right through the middle of the first screen.  Make it as long of a slice as you can.  Use a flathead screwdriver to open up the slit enough to grab, twist and yank out the screen with some vice grips.  It is just seated into a shallow slot inscribed into the endcap opening.  Repeat the process for the second screen that its about 1/4-1/2" inside of the first one.  Takes a little wrestling, but does come right out.  Don't be gentle.
Fair enough on the dongle.  Not needed, but I have one on my bike as well for the same reason.  Just know it is not needed for the bike to function properly.
Pulling the reeds, and opening up the exhaust are what gives the most power gains.  The Vortex is mainly there to fix the already lean conditions (and then excessively lean conditions created by opening the bak up further).
When you swap your exhaust, if you are also pulling the header off (or simply disconnecting it from the exhaust port), that is a great time to also pull the carbon canister out of the front down frame tube.  You can wrestle it out through the bottom, but the header will need to be out of the way.  It will hit a hump in the bottom of the engine while wrestling it out.  It's made of plastic, so it will flex enough to come out.  Some (I did) use a screwdriver to pry it enough to clear the hump while working it out.  Others have used a small tie-down strap pulled around the front wheel.  This, along with removing the solenoid, SAS, etc, makes for a very clean desmog.  

Cool, I'll get started on that. Thanks! I used the tie down method when I got rid of my charcoal canister.
I know the Vortex will cool down the bike, but I still might get some different radiator hoses and coolant. They just seem so convoluted.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:38 AM, Spud786 said:

Couple of ball peen indentions problem solved , BTW its pretty common to have to peen the pipe for shock spring clearance , especially on the pds bikes. Doesn't hurt anything.

Can you post a picture of the modified head pipe?  Want to see how good you are with a ball peen hammer!  

On 10/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, HansLanda said:

What are these bullet connectors behind the dash for? 

2018-10-12 09.39.50.jpg

I saw that too. I wonder if it’s an accessory power connector, gps...

Anyone have any ideas?

On 10/29/2018 at 6:49 PM, markbfe501 said:

One more thing, when you install the Vortex, you can finish removing the solenoid without it continuing to throw a code.

What do you replace the solenoid with, a regular bolt, or does it come with the kit from Blais racing?

2 hours ago, D37OPIE said:

I saw that too. I wonder if it’s an accessory power connector, gps...

Anyone have any ideas?

I think it's for ignition, like a key delete. Just a guess.

2 hours ago, D37OPIE said:

What do you replace the solenoid with, a regular bolt, or does it come with the kit from Blais racing?

You can leave it unplugged, or use this dongle if you don't want an exposed connection. 
https://slavensracing.com/shop/canistersolenoid-valve-removal-dongle/

Anyone have comments on MotoHose? Thinking of getting simpler hoses and Boyesen supercooler. They also sell the T shaped hose inside the frame downtube. Much cheaper than Samco, and hopefully not as cheap as GPI. 

I emailed them about the fitment, their site only lists 2014-2015 FE501.

Posted (edited)

Well MotoHose doesn't make hoses for the '17+ FE501. Guess I'll have to go Samco after all. Surprising that no one else really makes hoses for these bikes with how popular they are.
Their T piece is out of stock. If I feel like it needs replacing, I'll try the MotoHose out before the Samco if possible. Can't believe a single Samco hose is $100.

- Researched some more, looks like their SXF/XCF/FC/FX 450 hoses are compatible with the 501. Since you can use OEM offroad bike hoses on the FE, they should fit. Here's a photo comparison of the Samco FE501 hoses and some 450 SXF hoses. Looks compatible.

And their T piece is available on Ebay, so you can get a full hose kit for about $150 instead of $200.

Samco_2017_KTM_450_500_EXC_XCW_Thermostat_Bypass.jpg

611B_31e99d22-6b29-4200-ad48-5ec9ef4bfaab_2048x2048.jpg

Edited by HansLanda

Posted (edited)

MotoHoses fit great. 2016+ FC450 fitment is the key. Quality looks good to me, and much cheaper than Samco.

IMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101.JPG

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 1

Hopefully the lever pull will be smoother with this 6 piston.
IMG_0103.JPG

• Like 1

Where the heck does the tail light connection end?

Got it. Square connector by the negative terminal. Easiest to remove the battery, then disconnect and yank it back out.

IMG_0118.JPG

I took pictures today of the new seat cover, graphics and plastics. 

Installed the Zeta pro handguards today. No more snapping ends off of front brake levers anymore IMG_20181126_162431.jpeg.84ac5ffa1238e185231cd3cd1bfece9e.jpegIMG_20181126_162317.thumb.jpeg.5267c22c10d1967a508353e2e7d675e9.jpeg

Quick question, did you need to install their U clamp to clear clutch hose?

I know what I'm doing with my '17 FE501 today.  I'm getting it ready to trade in on a '19 TE300i.  If I could have only one motorcycle it would be a 501.  But since getting divorced (she wanted it after 9 years) and retiring last summer, I've acquired an '18 701 that is now my travel bike.  The 501 works in the desert mountains here, but I have a feeling that the 300 will work even better.  It was hard for me to accept the idea that it's the rotating mass that makes the 501 feel heavy, something that bikes like the 300 and the FE350 don't have to contend with.  I know too many riders with an FE350 that will gladly testify to the superior handling of the 350.  Or maybe I'm wrong and making an expensive mistake.

I know it isn’t flashy, but upgraded the battery in my 501. The biggest reason was no I can say it is lighter than the 350.. haha. Of course not the new ‘19, but the 2016. Orig battery is 4.06lbs. The new Lithium one is .81lbs! Yes, less than 1 pound! So that is a savings of 3.25lbs!IMG_8798.JPG

• Like 1

I know it isn’t flashy, but upgraded the battery in my 501. The biggest reason was no I can say it is lighter than the 350.. haha. Of course not the new ‘19, but the 2016. Orig battery is 4.06lbs. The new Lithium one is .81lbs! Yes, less than 1 pound! So that is a savings of 3.25lbs!IMG_8798.thumb.JPG.2f04f9a2dfe9eacd192809a000f4ee93.JPG

That’s a lot less weight! What’s the part number for that battery? I’m having a hard time finding it.