Worth Trading in for a 250X

So i've had the 2 stroke bug and cant seem to get it out, current bike is 2015 YZ250FX while i love the bike i wish it was lighter, i love the electric start because i seem to stall it randomly had it for over a year and do hare scrambles and single track only no motorcross.. I used to ride a RM250 but its been a while so i'll be a noob for a bit. But getting trade in values is a bit disappointing and selling outright seem like a struggle, not sure if i should just suck it up and have 2 bike and not lose out 3k on my yz250fx or just stop thinking about the 250x and ride the damn FX..

Being in CA you want to ride year around yes? Then what you need is a 2002 YZ250. You can do the 3-5X gears, change the CDI, and head, gov. spring, and other internal parts, SSS if you need it, put on a FWW and bam! You have the 250X without spending 7 thousand plus and can ride year round. Not to mention the steel frame is supperior in desert and hair scrambles. 

Just saying.

• Like 5

Being in CA you want to ride year around yes? Then what you need is a 2002 YZ250. You can do the 3-5X gears, change the CDI, and head, gov. spring, and other internal parts, SSS if you need it, put on a FWW and bam! You have the 250X without spending 7 thousand plus and can ride year round. Not to mention the steel frame is supperior in desert and hair scrambles.

Just saying.

But Gary it's not a new bike with a blingy aluminium frame why would anyone do that ......... hahaha

• Like 2

My recommendation would be to keep the FX, and don't spend any money on it besides necessary maintenance.  Then, put aside some money for a proper off-road suspension revalve and look for one of the following:

1. any yz (125 or 250 for that matter) after 98

2. any CR 250 after 2000

3. any RM 125 or 250  after 2003

4. any ktm 250/300 after 2004

5. any ktm 200 after 2003

6. If you can keep them on the pipe 2000 and later CR 125s are a blast too, but you have to be a good 125 rider.

These are all bikes I've either owned, or spend a fair amount of seat time on, for woods riding after a suspension revalve.  All of them will provide lots of smoker fun for a very modest price.  I also predict that the FX will begin to collect dust after you acquire one of the above.

• Like 3

Just saying.

Does it have to be a 02 or can it be a 01 I read the convert your yz into a X and it seems like it needs a harness for the cdi. I have thought about the older yz how are the non SSS suspension I have a local guy that can Revalve it he did my FX.

Just saying.

Does it have to be a 02 or can it be a 01 I read the convert your yz into a X and it seems like it needs a harness for the cdi. I have thought about the older yz how are the non SSS suspension I have a local guy that can Revalve it he did my FX.

My recommendation would be to keep the FX, and don't spend any money on it besides necessary maintenance.  Then, put aside some money for a proper off-road suspension revalve and look for one of the following:

1. any yz (125 or 250 for that matter) after 98

2. any CR 250 after 2000

3. any RM 125 or 250  after 2003

4. any ktm 250/300 after 2004

5. any ktm 200 after 2003

6. If you can keep them on the pipe 2000 and later CR 125s are a blast too, but you have to be a good 125 rider.

These are all bikes I've either owned, or spend a fair amount of seat time on, for woods riding after a suspension revalve.  All of them will provide lots of smoker fun for a very modest price.  I also predict that the FX will begin to collect dust after you acquire one of the above.

I have thought about the 125 yz but I'm not that aggressive rider so it might hinder my performance haha. But this seem like my best option but I also don't want the FX sitting might buy new plastics and clean it up real nice or just keep it and use the wheel set from it if it fits the older YZs.

my recommendation is unless you have screw you money, you're pissing money into the wind Trading in a dirt bike. If this is the case keep the 250f, and by the 250 smoker. If this is not the case, Sell it out right if you really want the 250 smoker.

Edited by dmm698

But Gary it's not a new bike with a blingy aluminium frame why would anyone do that ......... hahaha

CA has the crap law of red/green.

01 will be the older plastics. 02 will be to 14, and can change to 15-17.
  • Like 1

Ok so i was checking out craightslist and found a 06 YZ250 with recluse and small normal things for a woods bike and willing to trade plus cash on his hand almost 2k would this be a better route? Man i dont want to regret anything haha. I'll probably order the 250 X CDI and maybe have the suspension redone again.

Also how can i tell they are the 06 SSS suspension never can be too sure whats out there haha will they looks like my currents on my FX?

Edited by IronUA

Get both ?

Love my 250x, it is a great bike.

A while back my friend brought both of his YZ250Xs to an off-road riding park that has miles and miles of awesome trails. He let me split my riding time between his two Xs. I absolutely LOVED those bikes. It made me want to sell my 2007 YZ250 and go buy an X. Edited by ron_m

Just saying.

I know I have been discussing with you before about this conversion but one piece I see in here is the "3-5x gears". Are you saying I can buy 250x OEM gears and throw them in? I have a 2011 and would still like to change the gearing. I want to buy a 250x so bad but just hate knowing I have 6-7k into something I thrash around. Edited by Ride_Flip_Repeat
  • Like 1