Big and tall guy looking at the 300RR

Hey everyone,  I've been researching and re-researching the 300 two stroke class of bikes and keep coming back to the 300RR.  I was also looking at the KTM 300 xc-w as well as the Husqvarna 300 te.  I seem to have settled in my head on the 300rr but a few things keep nagging me, and not being able to drive the distance to a dealer to really sit and compare I'm going to elude to the "experts" here.  I'm a 6'2" weighing around 280 lbs fully geared up.  I plan on using the BYOB option to put the heavier springs on it and a few others, but where I am nervous is just the overall shortness of the bike.  Is the 300RR going to feel to small while I'm on it.  The KTM and Husqvarna are a full inch higher in ride height and ground clearance.  That doesn't seem insignificant.  How does the cockpit feel to all you guys who are tall and big?  Is there anything you would recommend doing immediately in the BYOB, such as a different seat or something.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks guys!

1 inch is not insignficant IMO but once your on the bike you probably will not notice.  For me its more significant when your getting on or off....or more specifically slowly falling over cause your slightly high centered or on uneven ground in the tight stuff, nearly stopped and need to dab a foot down.  (that's never happened lol)

I'm 6'2" 165, so not sure how it will feel for you, but I do have a 300rr.  Ive had literally dozens of bikes.  The 300rr is my favorite of all time.  I just like the way it rides and handles. But I do have to say, I have not tried the KTM 300's or other 300 woods bikes.  I do have a 2013 sx250.  The only draw back to Beta is the parts.  The aftermarket guys have not caught up yet and the Dealer prices are high and can take some time to arrive.  Ktm parts are cheap and plentiful, plus there is lots of cross over to the various years and models making availability extremely high.  The fact that my 300 rr is street legal and the ride and handling are enough to compensate for the parts problem.  But, if you get a newer one, and keep it well maintained your only going to chew up brake pads, sprokets and once in a while  the chain sliders. Lots of aftermarket items for these items and more and more beta "consumables" are arriving on the market all the time.  I would recommend buying hand guards to protect your levers so you don't break them (replacements may be relatively costly and take a while to arrive).  Not sure if there are aftermarket alternatives.

On another note, my son has an X trainer, its 10% smaller.  I figured It would be too small for me, cause I am all legs and really love a tall bike..., but after riding it, I find myself saying hmm 300rr or xtrainer...some times I take the x trainer cause there are zero issues with size for me (added handle bar risers) and infact its a bit easier to handle in the tight stuff and there is something about it that is soooo nice.   I say, don't agonize over the choice they are all fantastic bikes (ktm, Husky, etc). Your having a real first world crisis I can tell.    Poor you!!!!! Pick the one you like to look at most. 

But check how much the suspension mods are going cost for each bike your considering...that may be the deciding factor.

Edited by bikedad1
  • Like 2

Yes it will feel cramped stock, a bit more than any other bike, but it's so good it's worth it.

BRP submount, "High" bars,  MotoBau 30mm low pegs, and a custom tall seat.

6.6 rear spring, .54 front, AND a revalve, are in order.

I can now stand on mine (430RRRE) in comfort, and ride seated with control.

I do graze my heel, standing on g-outs, now and then.

• Like 2

Google this..put a search here on TT for this as its come up before. You arent that big compared to some others and you can adapt easily. Im 6'1" with extra long arms about 230 no gear. 300rr is the best bike for me. It was good stock but I tailored It a little.first put the bars in the furthest forward 3rd triple clamp hole. I got a taller ktm suzuki bend pro taper.. Thats good enough but you can put a tall seat and maybe some rear offsett ktm pegs like I did if you want. Really its not an issue. I did not want a taller ktm husky seat height..Thats too high to me..and I hate those thin ass seats on all 300 2t bikes. This way I have a comfortable taller seat to put on.. I love my tall seat concepts seat..

• Like 2

Im 6'1, 195 and the 300rr feels small to me, but in a good way.  With adjustable pegs in the lower position I find standing is fine.  I suggest you find one in your area to do a demo ride first to see if the ergos work with you.

Listen to what KM says above, he is in your situation.

Edited by dstewart
  • Like 2

We have a term for the thin 300 seats....we call it beta but!!!   First few rides I felt like I did some hard time...on the seat.

Edited by bikedad1
  • Like 2

6'1" here, 250. I have both a 16 Husky 300 and a 17 RR, dont know why but the RR feels way better for me. I did raise bars on BRP dampner kit and added Flexx bars, but I was OK before that as well. The Husky is for sale now =)

• Like 3

Enduro enginnering sells bar risers $30-ish. Comes with three plates that can be stacked to achieve three hieghts. I have them on three of our bikes and i really like them. Btw, i found my taller sx250 to feel more cramped, likely due to shorter bars. There is a reall concesus here that there is just something about these betas that really works for many of us. To me its the sound, goemerty, handling, and grunt...plus I'm not riding corperate orange like just about everone now adays!!!

• Like 1

6'1" and 190lbs here... I honestly did nothing to change the stock ergo's aside from moving the bar clamps to the forward position. I love everything about the ergos...I might be the exception as I have a more aggressive riding position and hate set-ups that put me into an "upright" riding position.

• Like 1

We have a term for the thin 300 seats....we call it beta but!!!   First few rides I felt like I did some hard time...on the seat.

That's all of the 300 2 strokes.. That's why first thing I did was get a Beta because first it is way lower than the others and I got a soft tall seat and then it's comfortable. Can't do that with  the other 300 2t's. The benny is Beta is the better of the other 300's in addition  to me.

1 inch is not insignficant IMO but once your on the bike you probably will not notice. For me its more significant when your getting on or off....or more specifically slowly falling over cause your slightly high centered or on uneven ground in the tight stuff, nearly stopped and need to dab a foot down. (that's never happened lol)

I'm 6'2" 165, so not sure how it will feel for you, but I do have a 300rr. Ive had literally dozens of bikes. The 300rr is my favorite of all time. I just like the way it rides and handles. But I do have to say, I have not tried the KTM 300's or other 300 woods bikes. I do have a 2013 sx250. The only draw back to Beta is the parts. The aftermarket guys have not caught up yet and the Dealer prices are high and can take some time to arrive. Ktm parts are cheap and plentiful, plus there is lots of cross over to the various years and models making availability extremely high. The fact that my 300 rr is street legal and the ride and handling are enough to compensate for the parts problem. But, if you get a newer one, and keep it well maintained your only going to chew up brake pads, sprokets and once in a while the chain sliders. Lots of aftermarket items for these items and more and more beta "consumables" are arriving on the market all the time. I would recommend buying hand guards to protect your levers so you don't break them (replacements may be relatively costly and take a while to arrive). Not sure if there are aftermarket alternatives.

On another note, my son has an X trainer, its 10% smaller. I figured It would be too small for me, cause I am all legs and really love a tall bike..., but after riding it, I find myself saying hmm 300rr or xtrainer...some times I take the x trainer cause there are zero issues with size for me (added handle bar risers) and infact its a bit easier to handle in the tight stuff and there is something about it that is soooo nice. I say, don't agonize over the choice they are all fantastic bikes (ktm, Husky, etc). Your having a real first world crisis I can tell. Poor you!!!!! Pick the one you like to look at most.

But check how much the suspension mods are going cost for each bike your considering...that may be the deciding factor.

ktm parts are cheap? Where?
  • Like 1

I would recommend buying hand guards to protect your levers so you don't break them (replacements may be relatively costly and take a while to arrive). Not sure if there are aftermarket alternatives.

I think the levers and foot pegs are interchangeable with KTM/Husky so availability isn't an issue.

• Like 1

6'1" here, 250. I have both a 16 Husky 300 and a 17 RR, dont know why but the RR feels way better for me. I did raise bars on BRP dampner kit and added Flexx bars, but I was OK before that as well. The Husky is for sale now =)

Odd the same goes for me.

I'm 6'3", I have a 2016 husqvarna TE 300 and a 2016 Beta 300RR in the garage.

Don't ask me how or why because on paper the beta is a smaller cockpit but the husqy feels much more cramped than the Beta. I feel like I have way more room on the Beta in general and I feel like my knees are in my face on the husqy comparatively. Nether bike has any mods or changes to the ergo's.

I've also ridden a 2015 350XCF and the cockpit felt about the same, though again my feet felt a little higher, not as bad as the husqy though.

Overall I can say the Beta feels the most comfortable of all the bikes I've ridden given my height. The only bike that felt like it had a bigger cockpit was my 2013 WR450F.

• Like 1

1 inch is not insignficant IMO but once your on the bike you probably will not notice.  For me its more significant when your getting on or off....or more specifically slowly falling over cause your slightly high centered or on uneven ground in the tight stuff, nearly stopped and need to dab a foot down.  (that's never happened lol)

I'm 6'2" 165, so not sure how it will feel for you, but I do have a 300rr.  Ive had literally dozens of bikes.  The 300rr is my favorite of all time.  I just like the way it rides and handles. But I do have to say, I have not tried the KTM 300's or other 300 woods bikes.  I do have a 2013 sx250.  The only draw back to Beta is the parts.  The aftermarket guys have not caught up yet and the Dealer prices are high and can take some time to arrive.  Ktm parts are cheap and plentiful, plus there is lots of cross over to the various years and models making availability extremely high.  The fact that my 300 rr is street legal and the ride and handling are enough to compensate for the parts problem.  But, if you get a newer one, and keep it well maintained your only going to chew up brake pads, sprokets and once in a while  the chain sliders. Lots of aftermarket items for these items and more and more beta "consumables" are arriving on the market all the time.  I would recommend buying hand guards to protect your levers so you don't break them (replacements may be relatively costly and take a while to arrive).  Not sure if there are aftermarket alternatives.

On another note, my son has an X trainer, its 10% smaller.  I figured It would be too small for me, cause I am all legs and really love a tall bike..., but after riding it, I find myself saying hmm 300rr or xtrainer...some times I take the x trainer cause there are zero issues with size for me (added handle bar risers) and infact its a bit easier to handle in the tight stuff and there is something about it that is soooo nice.   I say, don't agonize over the choice they are all fantastic bikes (ktm, Husky, etc). Your having a real first world crisis I can tell.    Poor you!!!!! Pick the one you like to look at most. 

bikedad1, a couple of off topic questions.

Have you plated your 300 for street? From what I've found the 2 strokes can't be registered for street in Alberta, the only the Beta 4 stroke 2017 models are streetable.

Beta parts, I've had no problem getting them quickly at my local dealer. Even if I have to order them online they arrive at my door faster than parts my local Honda dealer orders for my Honda.

Odd the same goes for me.

I'm 6'3", I have a 2016 husqvarna TE 300 and a 2016 Beta 300RR in the garage.

Don't ask me how or why because on paper the beta is a smaller cockpit but the husqy feels much more cramped than the Beta. I feel like I have way more room on the Beta in general and I feel like my knees are in my face on the husqy comparatively. Nether bike has any mods or changes to the ergo's.

I've also ridden a 2015 350XCF and the cockpit felt about the same, though again my feet felt a little higher, not as bad as the husqy though.

Overall I can say the Beta feels the most comfortable of all the bikes I've ridden given my height. The only bike that felt like it had a bigger cockpit was my 2013 WR450F.

You have the Husky and the Beta in the garage? I'm interested to know the measurement from the pegs to the top of the seat as well as the pegs to the bars on each bike. (assuming stock seat height)

Edited by silver_fox
  • Like 2

bikedad1, a couple of off topic questions.

Have you plated your 300 for street? From what I've found the 2 strokes can't be registered for street in Alberta, the only the Beta 4 stroke 2017 models are streetable.

Beta parts, I've had no problem getting them quickly at my local dealer. Even if I have to order them online they arrive at my door faster than parts my local Honda dealer orders for my Honda.

I went to my dealer and they told me Beta was difficult to deal with and they would not even bother to find out how long it would take to get my part in.  My local honda dealer gives me about a 20% discount on OEM stuff and I usually get it (eg piston, cylinders, cams, etc) next day if the order is placed before 11:30 am!!!).  I buy lots of stuff from them.  I can take my internet prices to them we calculate shipping and currency exchange and they try to match the price.   I will often pay a few % more if they can't.   In contrast with my local beta dealer, it almost feels like they sneer at me when I walk through the door, and I haven't even opened up my mouth yet lol 

My 2015 300rr is plated for the road, here in Alberta.  Apparently It came with a street legal vin.  However the trick is the FIRST time its registered it must be registered for street, not dirt.  The people at the registry said If you do register it for dirt it stays that way unless you jump through some hoops.  Or so the story goes.  All I know is it came with the street legal Kit, the PO registered it for the road with zero problems, and so did I.  Maybe I'll call registries and ask if they made a mistake  hahahaha

Edited by bikedad1

ktm parts are cheap? Where?

Really you gong to make me answer that!!!!

Not OEM parts lol!!!! 

I mail order most of my stuff from the USA.   Example.   OEM Piston rings gasket and wrist pin for my Beta was 400 plus  CDN, ordered at a discount from BC (local dealer wanted even more!!!!).   Because...at the time there was no clear aftermarket piston available!

For a KTM 300 xc-w I can get same RMATV (non OEM)    For about 150-175 US, depending on what I order....

or.... over 100$ CDN for an OEM beta chain slider vs (in USD) 17$ for polysport  or $25 for acerbis for KTM. 

Thats not even shopping around!!!!

Edited by bikedad1

I went to my dealer and they told me Beta was difficult to deal with and they would not even bother to find out how long it would take to get my part in.  My local honda dealer gives me about a 20% discount on OEM stuff and I usually get it (eg piston, cylinders, cams, etc next day if the order is placed before 11:30 am!!!).  I buy lots of stuff from them.  My local beta dealer, it almost feels like they sneer at me when I walk through the door.  

My 2015 300rr is plated for the road, here in Alberta.  It came with a street legal vin.  However the trick is the FIRST time its registered it must be registered for street, not dirt.  The people at the registry said If you do register for dirt it stays that way unless you jump through some hoops.  Or so the story goes.  All I know is it came with the street legal Kit, the PO registered it for the road with zero problems, and so did I.  I certainly will not call them back and ask if they made a mistake!!!!

That's great... you must have talked to the right person at the registry.

Your Beta dealer must be Argyll, those guys are useless. You'll do better by making a phone call to Twisted Shifter Performance in Eckville or to Blackfoot Direct in Calgary, both of them are doing a great job on promoting the brand and are knowledgeable about the product. Arygll still has 2015 models on the floor they can't sell. 

• Like 1