Anyone else experience tight biceps after arm workout?

The skin around my upper arms used to get extremely tight during arm workouts and make it almost impossible to finish.. I made some changes to include diet, hydration and workout routines and eventually got past that point (not sure which actually helped). But every once in a while, I'll do a a tough arm workout yesterday and the tip of my bicep, toward the elbow, is extremely tight. It feels like just the tip of the bicep is cramping and makes it difficult to straighten my arms.. Don't know if this a deformity in me so I was wondering if anyone else has these issues. It's not golfer's elbow or tennis elbow either.

• 2 weeks later...

You're either getting a good pump or your form is off. The part where you say that your skin is getting tight leads me to believe that you're getting a good pump, but the last part about cramping on a small part leads me to believe that you man be moving something incorrectly. When I do biceps, if my bicep doesn't feel like it wants to split the skin covering it, I don't feel like I had a good enough workout.

• 5 weeks later...
You're either getting a good pump or your form is off. The part where you say that your skin is getting tight leads me to believe that you're getting a good pump, but the last part about cramping on a small part leads me to believe that you man be moving something incorrectly. When I do biceps, if my bicep doesn't feel like it wants to split the skin covering it, I don't feel like I had a good enough workout.

I think i just overworked it. After 2 days it felt like normal soreness (really sore) and after 4 days I was ready to lift again.. Guess I just never worked my biceps that hard before cause the pump would make it to where I couldn't complete the workout.. I've done it twice more since but it isn't the same shock that it was the first and it goes away by day 2

Stop "working your arms". Start doing heavy compounds and your arms will get big as a byproduct of the rest of you getting huge. I see so many idiots in the gym doing 3x the arm bs and no squats or deadlifts. Good luck.

I'd agree that they're not necessary but working arms, shoulders and what I call smaller muscle groups make huge improvements in large muscle groups and core exercises.. I start with core exercises (heavy compound movements) then work all the small muscle groups the next day, then rest then back to the core exercise.. Example, Monday do chest and back heavy compound movements, Tuesday work arms, wed rest, Thurs is chest/back again.. I like changing it up but for best gains that's what works for me.. And You're only as strong as the weakest link.
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 0:20 AM, 07KTM250 said:

I'd agree that they're not necessary but working arms, shoulders and what I call smaller muscle groups make huge improvements in large muscle groups and core exercises.. I start with core exercises (heavy compound movements) then work all the small muscle groups the next day, then rest then back to the core exercise.. Example, Monday do chest and back heavy compound movements, Tuesday work arms, wed rest, Thurs is chest/back again.. I like changing it up but for best gains that's what works for me.. And You're only as strong as the weakest link.

Not that I'm an expert by any means....but to Me that looks like you're over working those poor muscles by giving them a hiding 2 days in a row.

When I was into training hard out I did back and biceps together (back is pulling-contracting the bicep) and chest and triceps together (the same- but opposite) That way they get a decent rest.

Something like that anyway...it was a few years ago...

Not that I'm an expert by any means....but to Me that looks like you're over working those poor muscles by giving them a hiding 2 days in a row.
When I was into training hard out I did back and biceps together (back is pulling-contracting the bicep) and chest and triceps together (the same- but opposite) That way they get a decent rest.
Something like that anyway...it was a few years ago...

I do switch to a push or pull style of workout.. Right now I do opposites, the idea is that when one muscle group is fatigued there is less resistance for the opposite muscle group.. I really focus on form and using the proper muscle for the movement so on chest and back day my biceps do get some work but I make sure to pull with my back and not my arms.. I talked to the guy I got the arm workout from and due to the style of workout, it's supposed to be on a 6 day full body rotation.. Back/chest on day 1, and arms on day 4.. 3 days rest, then work out the soreness, then 3 more days rest.. I still do the workout but I'm not nearly as sore as the first time.. I'm on a 3 day full body rotation and after this month I'll do full body 3 days a week for a month, then to a 4 day split rotation ( with out 2 days, rest a day, then work out 2 days, then 2 days rest)

I was going to say that it's just lactic acid, but that sounds like something else. Make sure you're hydrated, maybe take a pre workout supplement, and try changing up the routine. Every person is different.