OT: First Hare Scramble and race in 15 years advice please...

I bought a brand new WR426f this year (it was hiding in the back of a dealers shop in the crate) and have been out riding a lot(OK maybe not a lot but... ?) . I used to race motocross with a KX250 15 years ago. I have some experience. Does anyone have any thoughts about racing in the Intermediate/advanced 2 hour hare scramble(which is what I would like to do) without any experience for 15 years? I want to do it just to see if I can finish. My wife thinks I am nuts and that if I race I should be in the beginners 45min race and that is why I am posting this question. Thanks in advance.

You can always go in the 2 hour race and quit when you have had enough. Pace yourself and you will end up with a better time. Try and keep up with the fast guys and you will be toast in a few minutes. Hare scrambles can be tough especially in mud races. You can get ruts as deep as your knees and if you stall you and your bike are traction for everyone else. ? Your wife is nuts if she thinks you cant go out with a good attitude and have fun. Raise Roost! :D

You can always go in the 2 hour race and quit when you have had enough. Pace yourself and you will end up with a better time. Try and keep up with the fast guys and you will be toast in a few minutes. Hare scrambles can be tough especially in mud races. You can get ruts as deep as your knees and if you stall you and your bike are traction for everyone else. ? Your wife is nuts if she thinks you cant go out with a good attitude and have fun. Raise Roost! :D

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Just go out and have fun. Drink alot of water the week before the race to make sure you are hydrated. Invest in a camel pack, it will be the best peice of gear you will ever buy. Oh, and did I mention to just have fun. Just remember this isn't a motorcross race. Don't go out full bore or you will poop out after a couple of laps. Instead, set a comfortable pace that you can run for the entire race, even if it means letting people by. If you can do that, then you should be able to pick off all the motocrossers that went all out from the beginning on the last couple of laps. If you cant keep a full pace up, then just pullover and take a breather, it's no big deal. Last but not least, HAVE FUN!!! And make your wife work the pit stop for ya! LOL

You can handle it!!

Go for it!!

All good advice given so far!

Hydrate yourself well before and during the event, make sure your bike is in top shape, and of course pacing yourself is what it is all about in a longer event. Also remember that you'll be in competing in a 'class' that puts you up against riders and bikes of the same type.

It is much different than motocross but it is my favorite type of racing.

I'm 38 and I raced for the first time since 94-95 two weekends ago. There were only 7 guys in the Vet Class at the HS.

It was VERY muddy (ie. ruts that Indy spoke of) and I only made 3 laps around the 5.4 mile loop in just over 2 hours. The leader and one other guy actually made 5 laps. Less than half a dozen made 4 laps and less than half the people finished at all . . . what I'm getting at is that I stuck it out and got 1st in the Vet Class . . . first time out in about 10 years or so . . . Go for it and let us all know how you did!!!

I had so much fun we're going to Union SC for the GNCC next weekend, Loretta's after that and then on to Sparta, KY on May 1st and 2nd!

Have fun and remember that you gotta go to work on Monday morning!!!

Thanks guys for your advice/thoughts. I am going to enter the 2 hour event and I am very excited. I know I will have a blast. My goal is to ride the full 2 hours and I know I can do it if I pace myself.

I will report back on Monday. ?

Race Report.

I am sore today. I put on 45-50miles and I came in last place (except for people with bike failure) and I had 5 get offs, but I finished the two hour event. I have to say that my bike is AWSOME!!! The track was a lot of sand and gravel which is not what I am used to but when I put my trust in the bike, I went a whole lot faster. I learned a lot as well. It was a blast and I cant wait to do it again. I also met people that belong to TT which was great. It was overall a great experience. ?

LATEHIT

Where was the HS at, I graduated from the UofM back in 97. I ended up moving down to San Antonio so the wife could become a dentist. When she is done with school we plan on moving back to the missoula area. I heard they have great riding there. I still have a few buddies that ride dirt bikes around that area. I'm actually planning a 2 week ride with some buddies from TX show them what it's like to hill climb.

SlowRider:

The race was at the Anaconda MX track on the tailings of the old smelter at the base of the Pintlar range. There is another Cross country race north of Lewistown on the Missouri river breaks on May 9th. It is on a private ranch and it is only open to motorcycles. I think the loop is 18 miles down near the river. It sounds great but I will be on vacation in Mexico with the family. If I didn't already have tickets I would be there in a heart beat. There are a lot of great trails to ride around here but the Missoula area doesn't have any dirtbike events at all that I know of. :D

You say you graduated in 97. I graduated in the fall of 97 from UM. :D Look me up if you do move back here I need all the riding partners I can find. ?