What did Roczen do wrong?

If you haven't see Ken Roczens crash last night a quick google will pull it straight up.

Looks like he tried to seat bounce but due to track conditions the shock compressed more than he expected  and launched him.

Gonedirtbikin >> how's the novice seat bouncing coming?

** Get well soon Ken**

If you haven't see Ken Roczens crash last night a quick google will pull it straight up.

Looks like he tried to seat bounce but due to track conditions the shock compressed more than he expected  and launched him.

** Get well soon Ken**

Well a few things.

First, what I posted the question about was scrubbing and I guess that is what you are referring to. What about that, or me in general, put such a burr up your backside with me? Maybe I'm off about that but seems to me specifically calling me out in this post is quite a crappy move.

Second, actually yes, I do seat bounce, but not often and not big. Done carefully under the right conditions it is not that big of a deal. It's not like I'm on a professional SX track trying to do it through the rhythm section from hell. Where I use it is mainly coming out of a tight corner when I realize I have less speed that I typically do, then I'll add a little seat bounce to ensure I don't case the double that follows. There's also this step up that I have a difficult time clearing. When conditions are good (not lately with all the rain) meaning not very rutted out at the landing where it goes almost immediately into a right hander, and I'm feeling good about my riding, and I fell like pushing it a little, I'll throw in the seat bounce and that get's me just to the top of the step up. A lot of and's in that last one so that's an indicator that I don't do it on a regular basis.

So since you posed the question to me, here's mine for you: How's your "corners for dough" mantra working out. Does focusing on only one thing really make your MX riding better or do you just end up "stuck in a rut" if you'll excuse the play on words?

Looks like he tried to seat bounce but due to track conditions the shock compressed more than he expected and launched him.

** Get well soon Ken**

Watch it again, he wasn't seat bouncing.

If he wasn't seat bouncing then he was just jumping off. You can see him spring his legs with tremendous power, or at least that is what it looks like to me. Maybe he committed to jumping off as soon as he felt it kick up, but it looks like he could have throttled it out and had a better result.

You can see him jumping hard at 1:03. Maybe just a classic bail.

Edited by LSHD

Watch it again, he wasn't seat bouncing.

You're right, well spotted. It looks like the back kicked up hard and hit him in the butt. But as LSHD said, he is jumping hard with his legs just when the seat hits him. 

Edited by gatorfan
  • Like 1

If he wasn't seat bouncing then he was just jumping off. You can see him spring his legs with tremendous power, or at least that is what it looks like to me. Maybe he committed to jumping off as soon as he felt it kick up, but it looks like he could have throttled it out and had a better result.

I noticed that too. It made me wonder if he was trying to triple that section. The commentators said about a "square edge" and while yes that can cause the back end to boot, but Roczen went way, way past the double. I think the only person who is going to know exactly what happened is Roczen.

• Like 1

Exactly. I watching it over and over.

What I see is him sitting down a fraction of a second too soon and getting ejected because the rear of the bike is still rebounding.

I see him doing a power squat. Watch his legs, not his butt, especially at the 1 minute mark on the video above. If it was just a butt lift his legs would still be bent at first. I think he immediately bailed when the rear kicked more than he expected, a leftover reflex from MEC.

Edited by LSHD

I see him doing a power squat. Watch his legs, not his butt. If it was just a butt lift his legs would still be bent at first. I think he immediately bailed when the rear kicked more than he expected, a leftover reflex from MEC.

On the last angle I kept pausing it trying to see frame by frame. This is how I saw it.

There is a kicker in the jump half way up the face and then the top is rounded over. He sits down after the bike becomes airborne but the bike isn't past the actual top of the jump yet. The rear tire contacts the top of the jump while rebounding which catches Ken off balance and bucks him over the top.

Without knowing what he was doing with the throttle its hard to say, it does appear he was going to triple. If he would have had his weight back more on the back wheel he wouldnt have been pitched off.

I thought it looked like the bike rebounded and hit him in the butt, launching him.  I watched his bike compared to others and it looked to me like the rebound was set faster than the other riders.  The bike looked springy in the rear.  It seems to me that it was poor body position (his butt was too low) in combination with a too fast rebound setting.

there was definitely no seat bounce involved in that endo, it was the complete opposite actually. He soaked up the face with his legs which also drops the front.

If you look really closely his front tire left the ground further up the lip then his rear. I would guess he carried more speed over the step on step off, jumped closer to the transition on the face of the triple which caused his rear to compress more, less throttle up the face because he carried more speed combined with the rowing motion soaking up the face and he got bucked because of the uneven rebound. The rear end put him up, he held on as long as he could and threw the bike away to try to get to his feet. He ended up slamming into the landing of what would have been a quad, so he definitely has some speed/distance.

Edited by temporarily_locked
  • Like 1