I'm about to spend 10K on a dirt bike, is it the right one?!?

Like I said, this bike is gorgeous man. It's gonna be real hard to find something like this in this condition on cal before spring(without having to drive five hours)

IMG_2556.PNG

Edited by ddaily726

Like I said, this bike is gorgeous man. It's gonna be real hard to find something like this in this condition on cal before spring(without having to drive five hours)

look at the price guides and negotiate for it.  Little pricey for an '08 model.  I dont have any problem with you starting on a 250 four stroke offroad/enduro model.  Sounds fine to me.  The problem in my mind was your desire to start out with a brand new $10K 450cc bike.....and all the problems that entails.

Nothing wrong with looking at the 250 four stroke enduro models.  Basically that is where everyone was telling you to start and buy used.

www.kbb.com/motorcycles

www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles

Hey guys thanks again to everyone. The 08 ktm was overpriced and the dealer is not gonna budge. No thanks! I'm buying a 2016 KTM 250 SF-X used for $4800, 30 hours. Thanks again, happy ridin

Hey guys thanks again to everyone. The 08 ktm was overpriced and the dealer is not gonna budge. No thanks! I'm buying a 2016 KTM 250 SF-X used for $4800, 30 hours. Thanks again, happy ridin

SX-f? that's a straight mx bike...
  • Like 2

SXF is not a trail bike mate.

I've heard that the something like a 250 or 300 would be better for trail riding because they shift out of gears better in wood type areas but I'm afraid that because of my size it will quickly become too weak for me. Is a 300 the best bet? I think I'll outgrow a 250 after the first couple months. I've heard a 450 can't really get out of third gear in the woods. whats the best 300 to go with if that's the best size for a trail bike?

Thanks for the replies fellas

I weigh 190 lbs and own an 200 and 450, I can go faster through the woods on the 200 and no it is not too small of a bike for me. I recommend you get 250 to 350 cc. Two or four stroke, with the best all around being a 250 two stroke. My opinion of course. 300 will be fine too, very popular size.

That is basically a new bike for $3,900. I say go for it.

• Like 1

Only thing I can add is from many years of experience.  I have owned dirt bikes from 250-500cc.  250 is the perfect size for a trail bike, lighter, maneuverable and plenty of power for everything other than high speed desert.  And DO NOT buy an MX bike for trails, there are so many trail/enduro bikes out there you are crazy if you buy an MX bike to ride trails.  Suspension is wrong, gearing is wrong.  You would be miserable.

• Like 3

Sometimes enthusiasm can get the best of you. That's not a bad price on the KTM you have made your mind up on but as everyone has told you....not a trail bike. You'll learn the difference between gearing for a trail bike and a race bike gearing. Suspension will be different and a bigge for me I need to have it plated.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

I made the mistake of buying a MX bike 25 years ago for the 2000 acres we owned. Rocky, hilly, twisty...I was miserable.

Edited by Salty Dog

I race

That bike doesn't look very 'raced' if you're talking about offroad.

• Like 3

I'm buying a 2016 KTM 250 SF-X. Thanks again, happy ridin

This made me chuckle.

Thanks again? For what? You went against what every body in this thread suggested for you. Lol

• Like 4

Yo that place B&B is overpriced. I looked there when i was buying. Check out crossroad powersports in upper darby. Way better prices. Edited by ArcticWhiteGT