Pipe is smoking PLZ HELP (pics)

I just replaced my oil, oil filter, fuel line, and coolant for the first time on this used 2002 drz-400 I got couple months ago. When I started it back up everything was fine until 20 secs of idle this pipe started smoking a bit (PICS below). I turned it off immediately and checked to make sure the coolant was level. Coolant was overflowing and dripping from where radiator pressure is released (pics). Maybe it wasn't suppose to overflow from there? I dunno what to make for this smoking. 

ANY HELP, ADVICE, OR RECOMMENDATIONS WILL BE APPRIECATED! I am a Noob.

20170129_143325(1).jpg

20170129_143334.jpg

20170129_143740.jpg

20170129_143759.jpg

The coolant needs to be burped , to get the air bubbles out and allow full flow. When I changed mine I poured coolant in , shook the bike some , tipped it side to side, also you need to take the air bleed cap off the left radiator and turned it over a few times to help the pump prime. Once I didn't have any more air coming out and both rads were full , I started it up and again tipped it side to side some and with the cap off watched for flow. I  shut it off after a little while and refilled and the same burping deal. Then she was done.Rechecked after the first ride and top off if needed , I also put some in the reserve bottle up to the cold line .

Edited by jjktmrider

The coolant needs to be burped , to get the air bubbles out and allow full flow. When I changed mine I poured coolant in , shook the bike some , tipped it side to side, also you need to take the air bleed cap off the left radiator and turned it over a few times to help the pump prime. Once I didn't have any more air coming out and both rads were full , I started it up and again tipped it side to side some and with the cap off watched for flow. I  shut it off after a little while and refilled and the same burping deal. Then she was done.Rechecked after the first ride and top off if needed , I also put some in the reserve bottle up to the cold line .

Hmm. I had tipped it side to side and the coolant leaked out the other side of the bike so I assumed it was full. I even changed the coolant again to make sure it went through the bike, which it did come shooting out. If it comes shooting out where you empty the coolant, does that mean it is fully flowed throughout the bike? Also, to clarify, you had a similar issue with the front exhaust pipe overheating and smoking? And you think this is indeed a coolant issue?

I don't follow what you mean shooting out ? You fill the radiator with the motor shut off , do the jiggle and open the air burp caps and bump the motor over,not start it yet. When I start it I only let it idle for 10 seconds , then shut off. If you let it sit idling without moving the pipe can glow because of no airflow. You need to be moving. I have the cap off before starting when I look for coolant flowing, don't open it after it's been running even if not hot it'll have pressure built up. There is that screw on top of the pump housing that you can crack loose to burp the pump as well , it's short so be aware it can pop out if you unscrew it much. I had a XC600 snowmobile that needed the front 3ft up a snowbank so all the air would come out and prime the pump, stupid design.

Also crack the oil check plug on the back of the head to make sure you have oil pumping after the oil change.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

On Sun Jan 29 2017 at 3:50 PM, jjktmrider said:

I don't follow what you mean shooting out ? You fill the radiator with the motor shut off , do the jiggle and open the air burp caps and bump the motor over,not start it yet. When I start it I only let it idle for 10 seconds , then shut off. If you let it sit idling without moving the pipe can glow because of no airflow. You need to be moving. I have the cap off before starting when I look for coolant flowing, don't open it after it's been running even if not hot it'll have pressure built up. There is that screw on top of the pump housing that you can crack loose to burp the pump as well , it's short so be aware it can pop out if you unscrew it much. I had a XC600 snowmobile that needed the front 3ft up a snowbank so all the air would come out and prime the pump, stupid design.

Also crack the oil check plug on the back of the head to make sure you have oil pumping after the oil change.

I meant draining the coolant by it shooting out. Hey man, thanks for helping me out though! I just let it run longer and the smoking stopped. Everything is working perfect after my first oil and coolant change. Next up will be brake fluid, valve checking, and plastic/ metal restoration ?