New RMZ450 owner with a few questions?

I bought a new leftover 2014 model rmz450 and i need to know a few things that i cant find on google :)

1. Is an oil cooler available and do u have a link to where to buy?

2. Is a radiator fan available?(link?)

3. What good heavy duty clutch springs do I need for the notoriously bad suzuki clutch?

4.what is the quietest muffler available for this bike?

5. Is it possible to add a map switch like the newer models or do i also need a new cdi?

6. Is the new rmz450x cdi any different?

My usage will be offroad trail riding so keeping the bike cool in slow going is paramount. Im also interested in smoothing out the power. I settled on a leftover 2014 mx model because i got it for $5400 out the door cash, whereas a 2017 rmz450x was nearly $9100. Any help you guys can give me is appreciated!

Edited by Rancher420

I don't think you need an oil cooler

The stock clutch is fine!

Just fit some 12v Fans from a computer store to the back of the radiators.

Replace the stock radiator cap with a 1.6 or similar

Run the stock muffler, but cut out the reducer pipe at the end, still quiet but help uncork the motor.

You can add a 3 way switch and wire it to imitate the 2 couplers, but you need to shut down the bike to change maps then restart. The stock map should be fine.

Maybe put a 51/52 Sprocket on the rear.

Edited by Rotaholic
  • Like 2

Very cool.i found a nice little $15 waterproof "radiator fan" on ebay thatll be perfect i think. I dont know whether id need an oil cooler but it would surely help temps id say.

I don't believe you will need an oil cooler either nor have I seen one available.

Yes the stock clutch should be just fine. Even for trail riding.

I'd be concerned about buying a fan off eBay. I've heard a couple horror stories of people frying their bikes by installing cheap fans. But I'm sure a lack of knowledge about wiring and electronics contributed to it.

The stock muffler is about the quietest thing your going to get. Most parts available are meant to help on the track so the exhausts are louder.

I'd recommend looking at the Tokyo mods CDI , they have a couple different models at different price points, but they include a on the fly map switch.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Rotaholic said:

I don't think you need an oil cooler

The stock clutch is fine!

Just fit some 12v Fans from a computer store to the back of the radiators.

Replace the stock radiator cap with a 1.6 or similar

Run the stock muffler, but cut out the reducer pipe at the end, still quiet but help uncork the motor.

You can add a 3 way switch and wire it to imitate the 2 couplers, but you need to shut down the bike to change maps then restart. The stock map should be fine.

Maybe put a 51/52 Sprocket on the rear.

Rotaholic,

Can you please fill me in on cutting the reducer pipe on the end of the silencer? Do I cut the perforated tube on the inside of the can? I am in need of a re-pack on the silencer, so I was interested, thanks.

Also, Rancher, I raced a full season and a half on my stock 2014 clutch and still no issues with mine. I love the bike other than the harsh SFF forks. Did you get the 3 couplers to change the mapping for your bike? They all make a noticeable difference in power...

• Like 1

If you shine a torch in the tail pipe you will see straight away how restricted it is and the reducer you need to cut out ?

• Like 1

This clutch feels weak, exactly like my old 97 rm250 and Ill bet if Im clutching it through a rock bed or up a trail itll fade badly but I dont know for sure yet. Just feels gummy. 

Also got the couplers, and the lean white coupler feels nice compared to stock. Much peppier. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, Rancher420 said:

This clutch feels weak, exactly like my old 97 rm250 and Ill bet if Im clutching it through a rock bed or up a trail itll fade badly but I dont know for sure yet. Just feels gummy. 

You should get a Rekluse clutch for sure then. I spent a weekend on my bike riding a lot of slow technical rock climbs and such and it sucked with the stock clutch. I'm buying a Rekluse ASAP myself and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to ride slower technical stuff.

I just got a leftover 15' RMZ450, this thing is amazing. I also have a 2014 yz 125, and a 2014 250 SX. The RMZ is better at everything. I only feel the extra weight when lifting onto the stand. I quite like the air forks too, being a heavier guy.

Rekluse for sure, I just installed my first one on my 2003 Cr250 2 smoker and it's an amazing up grade. I went up nasty rocky hill climbs today that I wouldn't even attempt on my 2016 yz450.