Sign in to follow this  

gearing

Can anyone give me their thoughts on 13 tooth front sprocket to a 50 tooth rear primarily used for tight woods, or would a 14-52 set up be better?

I am currently running 14-50 and it means i have change down to first gear for the really steep stuff, when i should be able to do it in second. :)

I have the 14/52 setup on my 400exc and like it for the tight woods.I found that if you run a 13 tooth cs sprocket that the chain slider will wear through quick,At least they do on my bike.

Yeah, you are probably right.Im just being a tight arse because a front sprocket is heaps cheaper than a rear.

I use 14 to 52 on my 450 EXC. Allows good use of 2nd and 3rd gear for the steeper climbs and rough stuff. 13 to 50 is a good set up except that it tears up the swingarm buffer guide.

Every tight woods guy I know on an RFS uses 13:52. That's what I've used on both of mine and it works really well for the never having to shift to 1st thing, which is the way I prefer my bikes, too. It's true that you have to keep an eye on the CS sprocket and swingarm buffers when running a 13t but it's worth it to me to have the gear ratio that works. The parts are pretty cheap to replace, too. Swingarm buffer is around $10, I think.

I ran 13/50 for a while and it was fine, and as you say, cheap too. But eventually I went to 13/52 so that I can go really slow without stalling the engine, and I like it a lot. You can still go 60-65+ mph down the pavement when necessary, but also tractor up hills and over logs in 1st gear. :)

I reckon 400exc- 13/52, 450exc- 13/50, 525exc- 14/52.

I do miss the agility and slightly lighter feel of the 400, but both the 400 and 450 are more volatile and quicker revving in their power delivery. I now have the 525 which hsa a mass of torque and at the same time the power is so smooth and progressive, its easier to ride than the 400&450.

After riding all the models i am sticking with the 525 on 14/52 because it does just about everything well. :)

Cheers Nick

With a 13-52 setup it must surely be reving its head off at 100k's? Is that a little to low for all riding other than the tight stuff. Would you recommend changing it back to a higher gearing for faster flowing stuff? :)

13:52 is good for about 88mph in a 450EXC, from what I've read in numerous posts. I never have mine going that fast, personally so I'll take other folks word for it. That's a bit over 140kph.

I have an "06" 400 EXC and would like to leave the 14t sprocket alone for the guide wear issue but would like to go up to 52t on the rear. Is there enough chain length in the factory chain to do this?

Thanks

I'm running a 14-52 on my 450 MXC. I switched from a 14-50. I love the 14-52 combo! I ran the 14-50 for 7 months. It actually made me a faster rider. I believe the MXC has a taller 1st gear than the EXC does. I picked up Primary drive sprockets from Rocky Mountain, $8 for the front and $19 for the rear. They seem to work alright. The rear sprocket is a little heavy, but for that price I think there worth a shot and you can play with your gearing more. I went to a 116 link DID Xring chain with the combo. Fits great. I think the stock chain may fit with a 52 rear, may have to reverse the blocks.