Hello all! I am looking into traveling the Trans America Trail on my DRZ400E. Starting in Rhode Island, ending in Southern California; returning East on RT66. [~6'000 miles dirt, and then ~4,000 miles road return trip]

2003 DRZ400-E
~6k miles: total on bike  -  5k miles: lightly ridden, never seen dirt  -  0.7k miles: %100 hard off road [past year]

• Frequent Oil changes, Air Filter changes {again, well maintained but ridden hard the past year}
  • Front and Rear Suspension rebuilt, carburetor rebuilt all last year
  • Stock everything except FMF power bomb header and exhaust muffler, and Vapor Trail Tech , lights + fork socks :goofy:

Expected Maintenance:

• Top End Rebuild, Timing, Valves adjusted [Have not done compression test, but i would expect new top to be necessary]
  • obvious things such as Brake Pads, Fluids, Chain/Sprockets, Tries, Heavy Tubes

Does This Bike Seem Worthy Of Such A Trip? :ride:   Or am i better off selling to find a newer model?

Snapchat-on da hirl.jpg

At 6k I wouldn't think you'd need a top end rebuild. Bike should work good for your trip, but consider finishing the TAT into Oregon, it's not to be missed in the summer time. Going back through Oregon or Washington and Idaho will be so much better than going back through the desert southwest in the summer.

• Like 2

you know if it runs good, i wouldnt try it on something that i suspect is beat OR i wouldnt try it on a fresh rebuild either  ... other than that, for that kind of trip you go through everything thoroughly, replace things like a half wore out chain, mediocre battery or questionable wheel bearing and bring tools and money ... tubes arnt your problem, tires wearing out may be and unless you plan on bringing it in the shop a heavy tube is going to kick your as when your spooning on it under a tree somewhere ..

6 hours ago, cowpie said:

you know if it runs good, i wouldnt try it on something that i suspect is beat OR i wouldnt try it on a fresh rebuild either  ... other than that, for that kind of trip you go through everything thoroughly, replace things like a half wore out chain, mediocre battery or questionable wheel bearing and bring tools and money ... tubes arnt your problem, tires wearing out may be and unless you plan on bringing it in the shop a heavy tube is going to kick your as when your spooning on it under a tree somewhere ..

Thanks for the heads up with heavy tubes and other checks!
Would clutch plates be a concern? They feel completely fine, but practiced learning wheelies on it all last year.

I know this stuff is pretty bold to gauge based on the information. But can't thank everyone enough for the help!:goofy:

3 hours ago, DitchRelinquisher650 said:

Thanks for the heads up with heavy tubes and other checks!
Would clutch plates be a concern? They feel completely fine, but practiced learning wheelies on it all last year.

I know this stuff is pretty bold to gauge based on the information. But can't thank everyone enough for the help!:goofy:

i probably wouldnt worry about it, but i would pack an extensive tool kit and just definitely not horse around on the bike thousands of miles from home .. ride easy on the little devil ..

• Like 2

i probably wouldnt worry about it, but i would pack an extensive tool kit and just definitely not horse around on the bike thousands of miles from home .. ride easy on the little devil ..

I have a whole "touring" mindset. I do longish (1500 mile) 3 day weekend rides where I must ride quickly to complete routes, but always mindful of the logistics should I have an "incident." The key is hydration and nutrition to keep super sharp mentally.
  • Like 2