Hi everyone,

I am curently building my bike for light adventure riding. I am making a contraption that I would like to call a rally fairing. I am showing you what I have made so far.

For the build; 

- oversize GPI racing radiators
- oversize gaz tank
- fuel pump
- swapping the speedometer by a vapor
- custom made bracket for fairing
- fiberglass fairing/windsheild

I have not adressed the wide ratio issue since I just completely rebuild the engine last winter. I got a 39 teeth sproket for highway speed.

I have no experience whatsoever with fiberglass, any input would be apreciated.

Thanks for the interest.

20170202_153108.jpg

20170202_153057.jpg

20170204_234005.jpg

20170204_234020.jpg

20170205_000931.jpg

20170122_100624.jpg

• Like 2

Your fairing using the stock headlight shroud looks great! Post more pics as you go.

I have no input on fiberglass fabricating other than make it as light as possible.

• Like 1

looks nice !! 2 questions for you, wouldnt Kydex easier and lighter to work with ? do you you think it would be a problem to "force" so much wind into the engine/radiator area ? (meaning can the amount of wind/air flow going in can easily get out ? if not do you anticipate "turbulences" ?

So I did some more work on the bike this afternoon.

I worked on the windshield and I think I am happy with the shape, you judge..

I like the idea of keeping some of the DRZ accent for the fairing. 

For the airflow thing, I am not to worried as the engine is tempered by this huge amount of oil and water coolant. I ride it during winter with no problem at all. For the turbulences, only ride testing will tell. I am a little bit worried about that as well. Everything so far is retrofit, but Ill be the ginea pig I guess.

Speaking of wich, JD, when I try stuff, I try to keep the retrofit design in mind so if I mess up, I can always go back, then its easier to experiment. Though I am now thinking of trimming the original fairing to support the fiberglass process... I am breaking the rules!

SAMA, that KYDEX thing was unknown to me till now. It looks pretty awesome, I will look into it for sure. I am kinda prepping for fiberglassing even though I dont have any idea of what I am doing. Are you familiar working with that material? Can you ''weld'' pieces together?

20170205_154308.jpg

20170205_160802.jpg

20170205_160808.jpg

20170205_160832.jpg

• Like 2

Not to divert your thread......but, how did you feel about the GPI rads? (Welds look ok? Any sloppy chaff or debris restricting flow? Fittment and tolerance?) 

kicked around the idea of them since I have a crack on my stock ones (and for me the $500 is a bit much for mishimoto or fluidyne ones at this time) but really hesitant to hedge my entire trip on saving a few bucks upfront when they bust on the first drop of the trail.

They were 130 CAD with hoses to the door.

Everything is up to expectation but fitment was tight with my yosh setup. I had to grind a bit of the left rad and it fitted ok. It was the welds, they were tick...

Havent ride with them yet, but overall, everything seem well put together and no leaks since I filled them.

i do not know if 2 piece of kydex can be "welded" together( im sure some quick research will answer that question, there is also different type of kydex). im just starting playing with it.

also, make sure your mounting point are strong enough, fiberglass is heavy + pressure of the wind.

i cant wait to ser the finished set up

i found this :https://books.google.com/books?id=BXL_mnDzW0QC&pg=PA475&lpg=PA475&dq=welding+kydex+temperature&source=bl&ots=AEKjyrPkvU&sig=Z9_hBeC8Q0pqcu8loFtt5PyQ9Wo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSxPP5_vvRAhVSQLwKHetMCf8Q6AEIDzAC#v=onepage&q=welding%20kydex%20temperature&f=false

i have some thin kidex sheet, ill have to try

• Like 1

Sama,

It seems to be possible. I would be interested to see the result of a Kidex project but I think I am gonna stick to fiberglass for now since I already invest in that direction.

If you do some test let me know.

I might check this out later and mold a fairing based on my fiberglass fairing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atarijedi said:

I also wanted to turn mine into a more Rally-esque, but I don't have the fab skills, or an indoor place to do it. So I had to buy a fairing.

Is that a Britannia Composites? Lynx?

Just now, JungleDeath said:

Is that a Britannia Composites? Lynx?

That is correct, but it is the Lynx-R, the Lynx has the lights side by side. I don't think he makes it anymore.

I also wanted to turn mine into a more Rally-esque, but I don't have the fab skills, or an indoor place to do it. So I had to buy a fairing.

Small.jpg

Looks excellent
Have anymore pics from front etc...?

Small.jpg

Very nice bike.

I like these Lynx fairing too. Are they heavy?

I am trying to cut weight as much as possible as I am fabricating. Rally fairing puts weight forward. Its gonna be interesting to see how the bike behave in the trails.