Turning 99yz 250 into woods rocket

On 2/5/2017 at 4:32 PM, trailman006 said:

By the way. Get a FMF Q-Stealth. A little more low end and more paces to ride. No one will hear you!?

Can you get a Q-stealth for a 99? I have a Turbinecore 2 on my 99 YZ250 and it works just fine. 

I rode my buddy's 2012 yz250. He is an A class harescramble rider and his bike is race ready. It was night and day difference. I'm just going to write my 99 off as a "learning machine" and when I'm ready to race I'm going to buy a newer one. The newer frame felt better for me.

1 hour ago, AnimalMother85 said:

What's the difference between the turbinecore 2 and the turbinecore 2.1? FMF 's website doesn't say much.

As far as I know, the 2.1 is designed differently, similar to how the factory 4.1's are for 4 strokes. As far as how it is on a bike, I really don't know.

30 minutes ago, Spinothalamic said:

I rode my buddy's 2012 yz250. He is an A class harescramble rider and his bike is race ready. It was night and day difference. I'm just going to write my 99 off as a "learning machine" and when I'm ready to race I'm going to buy a newer one. The newer frame felt better for me.

If his bike is already set up to race harescrambles and yours isn't of course there is a night and day difference. Don't count out the performance of a 99. I bought mine from an AA racer who has won plenty of harescrambles with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

I run turbine core 2 and gold fatty, very broad midrange and usable bottom end. I tried a Gnarly and it was ok for slow stuff but really sucked up top. The 99 motor seems to have good low end to begin with.

I've been considering getting a fatty pipe for my bike. I'm running 14/52 gearing so I have plenty of torque for the slow stuff. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spinothalamic said:

Race the 99 for a year or two. No sense in buying something new that you'll thrash during the learning process. Parts are cheap and readily available for a '99. Plus, I have a feeling Yamaha is going to come out with something real fancy in the next 3-5 years(conservatively).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AnimalMother85 said:

Race the 99 for a year or two. No sense in buying something new that you'll thrash during the learning process. Parts are cheap and readily available for a '99. Plus, I have a feeling Yamaha is going to come out with something real fancy in the next 3-5 years(conservatively).

I think the biggest difference between a '99 and the newer YZ's is the forks and of course the frame. Motor wise they are pretty similar with my '99 being just barely behind the previous owners '06 yz250 in terms of power and speed. I would of course love a newer bike but for my needs, I love my '99.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 4:58 PM, HeavyRotation said:

but I want to move it lower in RPM. Right now I'm always just below the midrange powerband and it's going to eat my clutch eventually. I'm looking @ Vforce reeds,

Boyesen's  dual-stage design for low-end woods riding. "I could not make it up this hill", dry dirt with 3 corners and one last strait to the top and I needed second gear to get there. I bought the bike with new Vforce reeds the dealer put on and had to go on ebay to get the stock air block so I could install Boyesen's dual-stage reeds. (two weeks later it came in the mail.)  I'm sure the Vforce are good for top end power motocross racing. Boyesen's  dual-stage design I have ran for years had Way more low end than before and dropped to a 48 tooth for top speed and can now fly up any hills in Oregon.

"Boyesen's patented dual-stage design incorporates a specially shaped top reed and a ported bottom reed. The top reed is lightweight and resilient for crisp throttle response at partial throttle or low RPMs".   Hope this helps, and I raced a Motocross GP at Eugene motocross with the same bike with the Boyesen's dual-stage design same year and the mid / top end was smooth and crisper throttle response. Won my class! My low hr's Vforce reeds and block w/ new extra reeds! So mad that day hill climbing with my AA pro riding buddies I wanted to throw them in the wood stove and burn them all to H#LL....but sold them on ebay to make up for my stock air reed block. LOL!!!  Never again! 2/12/2017

Edited by bigbirdh2
  • Like 1

So after much thought I decided to do some stuff to the 99yz in preparation for a Breezewood trip this April. I ordered Boysen dual stage reeds, an FMF shorty silencer, and new springs for the fork & rear shock. I used RaceTech's website to calculate the spring rates for my weight and riding. I have a question about hand protection though- right now I have bark busters on my bars (I ride PA woods mainly) but when I go to the mx track, should I remove them? They almost seem like a wrist trap... is this normal thinking or am I being paranoid?

2000 yz250 I use race tech gold valves, heavier spring as I'm 220 geared up, acerbis 3.2 tank.Have 9 oz flywheel weight and should have went 13.Put gnarly pipe on but very little difference as stock pipe is very good.Put new head seal in shock along with gold valves.rubbed forks down with 400 grit lightly to help fork seals last (recommended by race tech guy).Put new swingarm and link bearings in and replaced nonstock bolts.Doing head mod soon to see if I can clean up jetting some.To me its worth it as its a great bike set up for me.I was racing a 93 yz250 with the same mods from 94 to 98 in enduro, s and scrambles.Was doing great till I got a new exc200 in 08.Should have kept the yami as it was faster because it was set up for me.Old yz keeps up with all the new orange bikes I ride with just fine.Also the open cartridge forks work great offroad and easy to work on.

• Like 4