Tires! I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but..

I got a Husqvarna FE 350 last year (a 2016 model).  I ride Tillamook, Hood River, China Hat.  Stock tires are done.  Any tire recommendations?  It is shitty outside and all I can think about is riding.  please help.

I have that same (awesome) bike. The absolute best go to tire I've found is the Sedona 907. I also use TUbliss and run my rear tire at 3-8 psi depending on where I'm riding. I've ridden China Hat and Millican. FYI, in sand dunes, you take the tire to zero PSI and it works just as good as a paddle tire. This tire was recommended to me by the President of Nuetech/Tubliss and I'm very pleased. 

The other tire I use is the Pirelli MT43 Trials Type tire. I use that for technical mountain type terrain, though I actually find the tire to be pretty darn good at everything but; true mud, very dried out loose soil going downhill, and sandy or true sand. 

I share your frustration about the weather, I'll try to cure it by going skiing this week. I too dream of fair skies and fun trails!

Edited by TigerTanker
18 hours ago, amanecer said:

I got a Husqvarna FE 350 last year (a 2016 model).  I ride Tillamook, Hood River, China Hat.  Stock tires are done.  Any tire recommendations?  It is shitty outside and all I can think about is riding.  please help.

What kind of rider are you? Hammer down? Smooth? Skid & spin? Trail cruiser or race pace?

I try to be smooth to conserve energy and keep as much traction as possible to keep going forward faster. Too old and weak for race pace, but more aggressive than cruising. 

Does that make any sense?

Good luck with that question

I try to be smooth to conserve energy and keep as much traction as possible to keep going forward faster. Too old and weak for race pace, but more aggressive than cruising. 

I ride the same areas, Battlecross X30s seem to work real well everywhere. On a YZ250.

Rotella! 

3 hours ago, Monk said:

Rotella! 

You are correct.  The flame thrower was created by the US Army during World War Two to defeat the Japanese soldiers in their highly engineered bunkers with inter connecting tunnels that were built into the islands the Japanese had invaded.  The flame thrower weapon is very effective. 

+1 on the Sedona 907 /tubliss combo. I recently put  X30 on the front. It seems to be holding up good. A lot more confidence in it than the stock AT81's. 2015 FE 501

10 hours ago, Monk said:

Rotella! 

I've been away from TT for a long time, nice to see some things never change ?

Thanks for the input.  I saw the Sedona/tubliss on the trail last summer.  Extra low tire pressure sounds intriguing.  

2 hours ago, amanecer said:

Thanks for the input.  I saw the Sedona/tubliss on the trail last summer.  Extra low tire pressure sounds intriguing.  

In 18 months I've bought 4bikes. I've spent at least 25 grand on parts and accessories.

I'm telling you this, Rear TUbliss is the NUMBER ONE thing I'd do to any off road bike. Period. 

The difference between 10+ psi and 5 psi will blow you away. One of the most satisfying things about riding off road is making a challenging hill climb. The way to get it done, is TUbliss combined with a great tire. Bank on it. 

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I'm telling you this, Rear TUbliss is the NUMBER ONE thing I'd do to any off road bike. Period. 

Did you have to come up with a special Slime formula I read about?  Any issues with flats or installation?

3 minutes ago, amanecer said:

Did you have to come up with a special Slime formula I read about?  Any issues with flats or installation?

Go find the TUbliss thread and you can read all about it. But, I'd suggest you visit the TUbliss website and just get some basics in your head. Personally, I found it all a bit confusing at first, but I decided I'd heard enough positives and just went ahead with some faith. So, I'm going to tell you...trust me....it's THAT good.  

On 2/6/2017 at 10:08 AM, TigerTanker said:

I have that same (awesome) bike. The absolute best go to tire I've found is the Sedona 907. I also use TUbliss and run my rear tire at 3-8 psi depending on where I'm riding. I've ridden China Hat and Millican. FYI, in sand dunes, you take the tire to zero PSI and it works just as good as a paddle tire. This tire was recommended to me by the President of Nuetech/Tubliss and I'm very pleased. 

The other tire I use is the Pirelli MT43 Trials Type tire. I use that for technical mountain type terrain, though I actually find the tire to be pretty darn good at everything but; true mud, very dried out loose soil going downhill, and sandy or true sand. 

I share your frustration about the weather, I'll try to cure it by going skiing this week. I too dream of fair skies and fun trails!

Slaven's is big on the Sedona. I think I will give it a whirl after I have destroyed my Shinko 505 Cheater. 

My last ride was Feb. 2nd and we've been buried in snow since then. I am kicking myself for not doing the Cheeser thing (no offense intended, I love Canadians and Canada) and studding some tires!

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, amanecer said:

In that case I would recommend trying the Kenda Equilibrium on the rear, and a Washougal IIDC up front. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, TigerTanker said:

No, getting your suspension sprung to your weight and valved to your riding speed, style, and the general type of terrain that you ride is the #1 best thing you can do to a bike.

1 minute ago, Wiz636 said:

No, getting your suspension sprung to your weight and valved to your riding speed, style, and the general type of terrain that you ride is the #1 best thing you can do to a bike.

No, having a sweet ass jersey, and killer helmet...

11 minutes ago, Wiz636 said:

Your are correct re-sprung was #1.    It made a huge difference.  I didn't have much choice in the matter.  I'm lightweight.  I'm not sold on re-valving at the moment.  I will look into it.

17 hours ago, Wiz636 said:

Wisdom from an experienced rider!  

We're fortunate to have many great choices right now in tires with the development of hybrids. I've had the opportunity to run the MotoZ mt hybrid, the Kenda Equilibrium, the Shinko 520, and currently the Kenda IBEX.  All were run over 400 miles in the past 2 years over a variety of NW terrain. IMO, the hybrids have surpassed the trials tires with equal traction and more versatility. I ran the MT 43 for 4 years, and Dunlop 803 for a couple years as well.

I did run the Tubliss system, but removed it last year due to a specific reason that probably doesn't pertain to many riders.  

I am really liking the Kenda IBEX. It gets trials like hookup but the braking and side bite are superior to a trials.  I've got 100 miles on it so far and is holding up very well.

Lots of great choices for sure!