DRZ 400SM vs DRZ 400E

I confirm that on my 2002 "E", equipped with standard fork and swingarm, the "E" model wheel spacers, axles and mechanical speedometer drive fit perfectly with oem SM wheels.

Remember you will need another set of sprockets and a chain cut to the appropriate lenght in order to speed up the "transformation"... (I use 14-47/48 for offroad and 15-41 for SM)

As per the caliper spacer take a look at Braking catalogue...it's possibile you will find something useful.

http://www.braking.com/products/view/108

Edited by Timisoreano

Are those fork socks I see ? They definitely suit the E rather than the boots. As this thread has followed the path of E to SM conversion do you mind compiling a quick checklist to complete the conversion smoothly. I ask this just to clean but the thread a bit. Thanks for all the information. 

Ok...this my "receipt" for the the quickest and cleanest dirt to sm conversion:

1. Set of SM wheels (oem Suzuki DRZ400SM)
  2. front brake disc Braking 320 mm
  3. rear brake disc Braking 220 mm
  4. front caliper relocator by Valenti Racing  http://www.valentiracing.eu/ (anything else custom made may apply, maybe Braking may have also something ready...but I'm not sure)
  5. DRZ E oem axles, wheel spacers and mechanical odometer housing
  6. 15-41 sprockets + (o-ring) chain cut to the appropriate lenght with falsamaglia (hell...I cannot find the appropriate translation...so look at the picture on the bottom of this post!)
  7. Acerbis fork boots - not mandatory (ex: https://www.google.it/search?q=acerbis+fork+gaiters&espv=2&biw=1101&bih=891&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyn-bA-oLSAhVBfhoKHc9MDhAQsAQIGQ#imgrc=CZ5jtUkTzVbvbM:

1 hour of work...even less after the first or second time...and you're ready!

falsa-maglia-per-catena-kz.jpg

• Like 1

Falsamaglia appears to be a master-link. I run a 14/47 sprocket combo on my E, would my chain be too short or too long if I put SMwheels on my E? My guess would be too short because of the lower profile, but less teeth on the rear means a shorter chain? Looks like the price tag when you're done must be around 1500 American dollars, a little expensive

I found the most expensive ingradients of the recepit (wheels and caliper relocator) on what I understand in the USA is called Craigslist (used items market), so aprox this is the money I spent for the conversion:

Set of SM wheels (oem Suzuki DRZ400SM) => 300 Euro (bought second hand)  - I sold the 310 mm and 240 mm rotors to set back 100 Euro I used to pay for the tyres (about 250/270 Euro for complete set)

front brake disc Braking 320 mm => 200 Euro

rear brake disc Braking 220 mm => 90 Euro

front caliper relocator by Valenti Racing  http://www.valentiracing.eu/ => 50 Euro (bought second hand)

DRZ E oem axles, wheel spacers and odometer => I already had them 

15-41 sprockets + (o-ring) chain cut to the appropriate lenght => about 130/140 Euros for a good o-ring chain and cromoly sprockets

Acerbis boots (new) 15 Euro

So...the grand total is aprox 950 Euro

If you can live with the 310 mm SM oem disk you will not spend your cash on a 320 mm new disc and save aprox 200 bucks: try something like this:

DSCF2344.JPG

Edited by Timisoreano
  • Like 1

The red bracket has been my first crude attempt, in order to save money as much as I could, for the early stages of the conversion...and it worked so well that I used it for almost one good season of riding. When I sold the 310 mm disc I had found already the Valenti's bracket and thus I went for the 320 mm new disc.

Regarding your question about the chain, the "14-47" one will be too long to fit 15-41 gearing. I would not reccomend to run your old chain (with the unnecessary link eliminated) with new sporckets: better save it for running back into the dirt.

Just now, Timisoreano said:

The red bracket has been my first crude attempt, in order to save money as much as I could, for the early stages of the conversion...and it worked so well that I used it for almost one good season of riding. When I sold the 310 mm disc I had found already the Valenti's bracket and thus I went for the 320 mm new disc.

Regarding your question about the chain, the "14-47" one will be too long to fit 15-41 gearing. I would not reccomend to run your old chain (with the unnecessary link eliminated) with new sporckets: better save it for running back into the dirt.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking my Es' rear sprocket would bolt on to the SM hub... not so?

4 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Yeah, I guess I was thinking my Es' rear sprocket would bolt on to the SM hub... not so?

Sure it will. Hubs are the same across all model of DR-Z400.

• Like 1

Yes...as ptgarcia wrote it will mount. But it will serve you only in a supermotard track with short straights and a lot of dirt. For street use you'll be better served with taller gearing.

I'm at the age (old) where I'm always thinking budget. If I were to do this conversion, I'd be pinching pennies throughout, that includes using my fairly fresh chain and sprockets. My E does 50-55mph pretty comfortably, I'd be happy with that for a while

Mind that the 17" (wich has a smaller diameter than the 18") rear wheel will get you even more on the "quick burst" side of things.

Good luck for your conversion!

Note:

I'm not sure if "taller gearing" means a rear sprocket with less teeth: please help me to translate correctly the concept

Mind that the 17" (wich has a smaller diameter than the 18") rear wheel will get you even more on the "quick burst" side of things.

Good luck for your conversion!

Note:

I'm not sure if "taller gearing" means a rear sprocket with less teeth: please help me to translate correctly the concept

Yes, fewer rear sprocket teeth equals taller gearing

Thank you!

Thank you as well, you gave me a lot of information that I didn't know. For what it's worth, I'm from Italian origin

On 2/7/2017 at 5:31 PM, Electricfat said:

I have a question regarding these two bikes after doing a bit of searching around. Is it better to do a supermoto conversion on the E or do a dirt conversion with the SM ? The reason why I ask this is because I wish to ride my bike in both dirt and on the road. The majority of people I have heard mostly said to convert the E to SM as the SM has terrible forks for offroad and will just blow fork seals. However,  I watched countless people on YouTube bash the shit out of their SM and nothing seems to be happening to their bikes.  Personally,  I prefer to get the SM just because I prefer the upside down forks as opposed to the telescopic and just by doing a quick search there seems to be a wider demographic for aftermarket components for the SM. Is there any mods I can do to the SM forks to make them more suitable offroad ? I heard they were like detuned RMZ 250 forks. I am no off road riding god but will hit the trails maybe once a week the rest of the time it will be used for commuting and hooliganism. 

Thanks, 

the videos on YouTube don't show the pre and post ride maintenance. if you take a street queen off road, you will break stuff.

it's the same bike e or s or sm, with interchangeable parts. very few of them don't swap directly.

the s sounds with ds tires sounds like your best match.

On 2017-02-07 at 8:26 PM, Monk said:

We run knobbies on my wife's SM, works awesome for offroad... 

2012KTM250xc004.jpg

Which tires are these? I'm looking for a good set of knobbies to out on an SM!

I recently did the conversion on my 2017 DRZ400E converting it to supermoto. The wheels came with the 320mm disk and bracket. Pretty straight forward conversion and once the suspension is dialed in for your weight handles well on the road.

thumbnail_IMG_20171029_095026823_HDR (1).jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I went the other way.  I use my SM as a dual sport. 21/18 inch  Rims from torpedo 7 some SM brake disks and knobblies.  I brought an E speedo hub from the Suzuki dealer so the speedo reads right and a 17 litre plastic tank from safari.  As far as seals giving way - never had an issue.   I'm not serious off road on the bike (a have a perfectly good Kawa KLX450R for serious off road) But I do a lot of back road / shingle road adventure riding.  Performance on the standard bike from the showroom was asthmatic, but the bike can be woken up a bit with a pipe and some jetting on the BSR or a FCR carb or even fuel injection (if you want to get carried away).

20170528_021612929_iOS.jpg.48354843f10b7524bfa4d7dab2810f1a.jpg

Adventure Going

20171129_223828030_iOS.jpg.9296a0b4dad622758de1e78fcc846f17.jpg

Road going - Later picture - Yoshi RS2 full system + Fuel Injection.  Blue Neoprene seal savers

• Like 3