1972 xl250 with CRF230f motor help

So.... Spring project, I got a 1972 Honda xl250 with all the bells and whistles (in a box) with a 2003 Honda CRF 230f motor.

I'm about to tackle the wiring and I just want to prep myself with some help and ideas before doing so.

so here's the deal, I have the main wiring harness for the crf230f motor and I'm going to have to make the space to run a 12v battery. Any tips or ideas on how to run a new circuit to include all the lights horns etc that came with the og 72 xl250 ?? I also have the og wiring harness but I'm not using it to run the new motor. 

image.jpeg

Wow, hope you have a lot of patience and basic knowledge of electrical systems and theory.  If not, you definitely have an uphill battle.  I'm not sure, but the 72 may have been 6 volt.  And you are going to be lucky if all the switches work.  If you decide it is worth all the trouble, first thing I would do is get wiring diagrams for both bikes. Then, go for it!

I might add, getting it running will probably be fairly easy.  But getting all the lights to work will be a job.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

Yep, the '72 xl250 is 6 volt vs. the 12 volt crf230 output. Going 12 volt for your conversion s/b the better option. You might try looking at a crf230f dual sport kit and adapting parts of it to the xl. Just getting a copy of the wiring diagram for a crf dual sport kit might even be helpful.

Here's a link that might help. In the CRF230  "Do it yourself Notes" link there's a section for lighting, with links to other lighting threads. Best of luck.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fdiy.htm

18 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Yep, the '72 xl250 is 6 volt vs. the 12 volt crf230 output. Going 12 volt for your conversion s/b the better option. You might try looking at a crf230f dual sport kit and adapting parts of it to the xl. Just getting a copy of the wiring diagram for a crf dual sport kit might even be helpful.

Here's a link that might help. In the CRF230  "Do it yourself Notes" link there's a section for lighting, with links to other lighting threads. Best of luck.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fdiy.htm

thanks man this link helps a lot!

so ya i do have both wiring diagrams for both bikes, and all i need now to at least get the motor running is:

1. air filter, thinking of going with a K&N universal clamp on cone airfilter

2. a battery, so going with a 12v might be over ambitious trying to squeeze a bigger battery, but i looked into the anti gravity small case lithium batteries

and it seems like the 8 cell or even the 4 cell might get the job done.  any thoughts on the lithium anti gravity batteries? reading up on it i think the 8 cell

might be the most reliable way to go and produces more cranking amps than a regular 12v lead acid battery.