Xr250 electrical questions

I have a 1990 xr250r. It has a rear brake light, a halogen headlight, sockets for indicators and a horn.

Anyway I was wondering whether or not the stock regulator is also a rectifier, the pert number is 31410-KZ1-670 . According to all the official wiring diagrams it is an ac regulator and there is no mention of it being a rectifier although from my basic electrical knowledge horns are only DC.

The reason I ask this is because I am wanting to install some 12v 35w DC led lights. It would be great if some could clear things up a bit.

Do you have a wiring diagram? As the regulator has 4 wires it may be a rectifier too. Normally on bikes of that era the headlight and tail light run off ac and the rest dc. 

I very much doubt the led lights are 35w, more like 35w equivalent. Can you connect them to a 12v battery and measure the current ?

Tony

Do you have a wiring diagram? As the regulator has 4 wires it may be a rectifier too. Normally on bikes of that era the headlight and tail light run off ac and the rest dc. 
I very much doubt the led lights are 35w, more like 35w equivalent. Can you connect them to a 12v battery and measure the current ?
Tony

I haven't actually bought the lights yet as I was wanting to be sure they would work before I installed them. I am also finding it very difficult to find a wiring diagram for the 1990 xr250 although I did manage to find a detailed drawing of the harness but that is pretty useless.

Led light: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401239067431

Wire harness:
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506bf037f870023420a29d09/wire-harness

2_0.png

Very unlikely the headlight is dc. The way to check is with a multimeter connected to the light with the engine running. Set the multimeter to read volts, try dc and ac. You could do the same for the taillight and horn to confirm whether you have both dc and ac on the bike.

I suspect that you would need to connect the LED array to the regulator.

Sorry to be so vague, my xr is 1999 and completely different!

Very unlikely the headlight is dc. The way to check is with a multimeter connected to the light with the engine running. Set the multimeter to read volts, try dc and ac. You could do the same for the taillight and horn to confirm whether you have both dc and ac on the bike.
I suspect that you would need to connect the LED array to the regulator.
Sorry to be so vague, my xr is 1999 and completely different!

Is there such thing as an ac horn?

XR250R's came as AC only. Yours sounds like it has a DS kit on it like BajaDesigns or Tusk. Pull the seat and look for the addition of wiring, as well as a DS kit. Part of the kit was a rectifier for DC power, and it could/should be a small square box, possibly potted with epoxy, attached to a crossbrace for the frame under the seat. Later kits from BajaDesigns put most of the kit behind the headlight shroud.

All the UK models I have seen have a regulator/rectifier/condenser mounted on the steering head, fed from a separate (to the headlight) winding in the alternator. Its on the wiring diagram to so looks original equipment.
We're ac/dc over this side of the pond!!

I did some investigating and I can confirm it has a rectifier and condenser. I haven't yet however tested what is hooked up to AC and what is DC.