2018 ktm 100 percent fi

I know there's loads of rumours on this but I've just been into my dealers today and they have confirmed fuel injected 2 strokes are coming for this year. They aren't importing any more carb'd enduro bikes into the UK. 

So my 17 model is now a old dinosaur in comparison . Either that or the price of 17 bikes will go through the roof

• Like 1

Well that's interesting cause originally the rumor was EFI would only be in the EU Countries. The thinking bring it is the EU emission standards forcing the EFI issue....

Yeah I believe that may be true. All left over 17 stock and parts I wouldn't be surprised if it was shipped over to other countries. 

This is my only complaint with my '14 250sx...messing around with the jetting. May need to trade in when the fi bikes hit the dealers. 

30 minutes ago, EuroTexan said:

This is my only complaint with my '14 250sx...messing around with the jetting. May need to trade in when the fi bikes hit the dealers. 

Assuming you have no air leaks, a Lectron will be as good. And a lot cheaper than buying a new KTM. And, most likely, a lot cheaper than sorting through all the bugs of the first model year. 

And heck, you're in TX! They're probably in your back yard...

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Assuming you have no air leaks, a Lectron will be as good. And a lot cheaper than buying a new KTM. And, most likely, a lot cheaper than sorting through all the bugs of the first model year. 

Very true, Ive been looking at those and they seem like a great solution to my jetting issues. Trying to solve a hanging idle...running lean. 

1 hour ago, EuroTexan said:

Very true, Ive been looking at those and they seem like a great solution to my jetting issues. Trying to solve a hanging idle...running lean. 

Hanging idle = lean pilot jet.

• Like 2

Hopefully the US gets a carb.  i jet like twice a year, it REALLY doesnt make any sense to me what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

Hanging idle = lean pilot jet.

Thanks, Its got a 38 pilot jet from the JD kit at the moment. Ill try going back to the 42 that was in there. 

1 hour ago, motonack said:

It won't happen for 2018. It makes absolutely no sense for them to do it now.

It makes perfect sense for them to bring EFI in 2018.  It is going to be a requirement to meet new emission regs in the EU.

For the USA, have the carbed versions as the regular, then throw EFI on the Six-Days editions to see if the market will bear the price increase that the EFI will undoubtedly bring.  They are already going to be making the EFI bikes on the assembly line, so no reason to NOT put them in a box and ship them over.  As the Six-Days bikes are a more limited production run, and are already sold at a premium, why would KTM not do it?

The SX line (and US XCs) should stay carbed for the near future, as there is no need with the closed course designation to meet the same requirements that the EXC two strokes (the USA XCWs) meet.

It is a world market.  KTM has already shown that they are only going to make one type of bike to meet emission regs around the world.  This is why there are no 2017 XCW four strokes; only EXC-Fs that meet emissions world wide with one model range.  KTM will do the same thing with the "trail" line of two strokes too.

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense for them to bring EFI in 2018.  It is going to be a requirement to meet new emission regs in the EU.
For the USA, have the carbed versions as the regular, then throw EFI on the Six-Days editions to see if the market will bear the price increase that the EFI will undoubtedly bring.  They are already going to be making the EFI bikes on the assembly line, so no reason to NOT put them in a box and ship them over.  As the Six-Days bikes are a more limited production run, and are already sold at a premium, why would KTM not do it?
The SX line (and US XCs) should stay carbed for the near future, as there is no need with the closed course designation to meet the same requirements that the EXC two strokes (the USA XCWs) meet.
It is a world market.  KTM has already shown that they are only going to make one type of bike to meet emission regs around the world.  This is why there are no 2017 XCW four strokes; only EXC-Fs that meet emissions world wide with one model range.  KTM will do the same thing with the "trail" line of two strokes too.

I'm not going to regurgitate everything that has already been discussed on this topic, but there's a thread in here somewhere about 20 pages long discussing the new gen 250/300 2 stroke engines and their applicable fuel delivery systems. There have been 1 on 1 interviews with multiple KTM engineers stating that an injection system would introduced only on a mandatory basis. The North American market is at the absolute bottom of the list when it comes to affected countries and regions. KTM has until early 2020 (2020/2021 model year) to comply with Euro 4 regs on street legal motorcycles. I'll try to find the thread and link it here when I can access the proper full website.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EuroTexan said:

Thanks, Its got a 38 pilot jet from the JD kit at the moment. Ill try going back to the 42 that was in there. 

Hey bro, suzuki necj needle clip 3, 40 pj, 172 main if ur around sea level...

No need for a lectron if it runs like a raped ape for $15.

• Like 3

Thats it, stamp it. His dealer says its definitely FI. It HAS to be true right!?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, motonack said:

It won't happen for 2018. It makes absolutely no sense for them to do it now.

Put it this way. They have people waiting to buy new 2017 bikes and husqvarna aren't allowed to send them anymore bikes. Either ktm/husqvarna lose loads of cash and customers and only supply the TC motocross bikes for the foreseeable future or they push forward with the FI bikes.   The ruling came out in January. 

Those who check out the husqvarna forum might remember the fact my order for a tx300 was cancelled and they offered me a te300 on the basis it was already on the way. This was the last batch of bikes allowed. dealers cant survive without bikes to sell.

In the UK the bikes already come restricted with tiny jets and a trials bike style exhaust.  The dealers remove these on collection. 

UK bikes will 100 percent be FI 

3 hours ago, sandking11 said:

Put it this way. They have people waiting to buy new 2017 bikes and husqvarna aren't allowed to send them anymore bikes. Either ktm/husqvarna lose loads of cash and customers and only supply the TC motocross bikes for the foreseeable future or they push forward with the FI bikes.   The ruling came out in January. 

Those who check out the husqvarna forum might remember the fact my order for a tx300 was cancelled and they offered me a te300 on the basis it was already on the way. This was the last batch of bikes allowed. dealers cant survive without bikes to sell.

In the UK the bikes already come restricted with tiny jets and a trials bike style exhaust.  The dealers remove these on collection. 

UK bikes will 100 percent be FI 

I dont think anyone is arguing the stupidity of the euro's.  Here in the USA we likely have some geeks that want FI and they are pretty vocal but I think most that can turn a screw driver can jet a bike twice a year and Dont want a heavier bike to lighten their already light wallet.  Not to mention the teething issues that go with a new product.  

We'll gladly let EU handle the FI refugee's. ;)

12 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Hey bro, suzuki necj needle clip 3, 40 pj, 172 main if ur around sea level...

No need for a lectron if it runs like a raped ape for $15.

Lectron does not claim to produce more power, that I know of. That's not the idea behind buying them. 

The pro vs con posts, the cons in particular, would have much more validity if the poster had actually used the carb before. 

I'm interested to see the statistics of customer demand on 2 stroke EFI bikes. I've definitely heard people worried about the increased complexity/increased cost, but I don't think carburetors are that bad to deal with until the bikes start getting old and the gaskets start going out...