hawaiidirtrider

Extreme Enduro Setup for bike and rider?

62 posts in this topic

This enduro21 article got me thinking. This might be good startup for some to figure setups for a bike and for what a rider is wearing and carrying for extreme enduro and for hard enduro trail rides.. I know I have a backpack with a bunch of stuff which I actually need to go through.. maybe we can all figure better setups for when we ride or race or both. It can include everything from the gear we are wearing to what goes on our bikes..

http://enduro21.com/index.php/extreme/1819-set-your-bike-up-for-hard-enduro-like-a-pro

1 person likes this

...just to start.

Here's a real old vid but it's typical for some local riding and setups.. machete and custom pipe guards mixed with skid plates for the rocks.. I know some in other places even have mounts for chain saws etc.. not for racing on the chain saw part but still extreme enduro setup for a certain purpose that isn't as common.. maybe I can find a chainsaw setup or someone else can.. along with any other ideas.

Here's a start example at looking at guards...disc,skid plate, pipe etc..just to start

20170131_162101.jpg

20170131_162051.jpg

20170131_162203.jpg

20170131_162121.jpg

1 person likes this

A few of the rides I've been on lately have been a little extreme  - the weather lately has something to do with it. I treat every ride as an intense enduro as we can find ourselves 40 miles away from the truck. I have alot of stuff in my pack, but the items I've used most lately are webbing pull straps for getting guys out of mud or up slick hills and a Corona folding razor saw for cutting blowdown that can't be gone around. I also have a Corona fixed blade thats 14" that really does a job. I do have a chainsaw mount on my KTM 300 and do a fair amount of clearing in the winter (like now).

3 people like this

39 minutes ago, dyrtmon said:

A few of the rides I've been on lately have been a little extreme  - the weather lately has something to do with it. I treat every ride as an intense enduro as we can find ourselves 40 miles away from the truck. I have alot of stuff in my pack, but the items I've used most lately are webbing pull straps for getting guys out of mud or up slick hills and a Corona folding razor saw for cutting blowdown that can't be gone around. I also have a Corona fixed blade thats 14" that really does a job. I do have a chainsaw mount on my KTM 300 and do a fair amount of clearing in the winter (like now).

I'm in the East Bay as well. I might have seen you put there some time. More and Betas can be seen now.

2 people like this

here's some minimal info on setup.. nothing big for Chris Birch but the basics.. guards, suspension and mainly stock motor set up with soft power.. I'm finding it harder to find Beta pro riders setups for extreme riding.. I don't think it's much different though but I'll keep looking.

http://dirthammers.com/2012/11/interview-chris-birch-new-zealands-top-extreme-enduro-rider/

The 4 strokes have been more left out in recent years for extreme enduro but it wasn't some years ago.. Actually it seems like the 4 strokes just got guards.. maybe a fan and maybe some bigger radiators.. and not much else.. but times have changed.. the endurocross guys have some 4 stroke 350's. a few at least.. but now its 2 stroke's .. but not necessarily for extreme riding and trail riding but not racing.. So nothing wrong with visiting the 4 stroke side of extreme.

Dougie Lampkin won Hells Gate on a 4 stroke Beta 450rr beating jarvis.. only 2 finished. ..so it can happen but it's not common at all to see 4 strokes..but it's not like the setup was especially trick.. fan and maybe big radiators..maybe not even that.. and guards..that's it.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/race-reports/141_1002_hells_gate_enduro_2010

1 person likes this

On 2/14/2017 at 3:00 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Here's some tips/ideas for the overheating side.

Interesting about evans actually running cooler.  That'll ruin a lot of preconceived notions.  I've run it in my cr500 and it was the deal.

I think for most of us a fan is really all you need.  Since putting one on I have never had to stop to cool off my bike.  Now I stop to wait for others whose bike are boiling. lol

I'm a big weight watching weenie but the 1lb 4 oz trailtech fan is worth the girth.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:46 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

I know some in other places even have mounts for chain saws etc.. not for racing on the chain saw part but still extreme enduro setup for a certain purpose that isn't as common.. maybe I can find a chainsaw setup or someone else can.. along with any other ideas.

Here in Idaho, where 61% of the state is public land, those of us riding with saws often get to go places others can't.  I've been carrying mine on the rear fender of my Xtrainer, on a Pro Moto Billet saw carrier attached to the Nomadic Cycle Racks Beta rack, mounted over a Fox shock with 6.1 kg spring.  My saw weighs about 10 lbs. with 16" bar, which I do notice hanging off of the rear subframe when I get a case of the spontaneous uphill wheelies in steep rocky terrain.

I've since fitted a set of 48 mm CC Zokes to the XT, so I'm working on a custom saw carrier to attach to my triples similar to that shown in the last couple of photos below.

beta0115.jpg

saw_ra10.jpg

beta0113.jpg

20_mil12.jpg

chains10.jpg

chains11.jpg

3 people like this

Which do you prefer - saw mounted forward or on the rear? Makes sense the the front end would be light when it's on the rear. I have one of Bill Dart's mounts on the front of my 300 XCW, use a Husky 435 w/16" bar, just under 10lbs, the only time I know it's there is when I'm desending a steep loose trail - the bike wants to take the fall line and sometimes i don't argue! It's blowdown season here in Nor Cal so it's nice to have a saw these days.

Edited by dyrtmon
1 person likes this

I would prefer the  front mount in that being short makes it difficult to get on without something on the back. I have not even made a mount for the Beta,  I let the young guys carry them now.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Which do you prefer - saw mounted forward or on the rear? Makes sense the the front end would be light when it's on the rear. I have one of Bill Dart's mounts on the front of my 300 XCW, use a Husky 435 w/16" bar, just under 10lbs, the only time I know it's there is when I'm desending a steep loose trail - the bike wants to take the fall line and sometimes i don't argue! It's blowdown season here in Nor Cal so it's nice to have a saw these days.

I'm still building the front mount and haven't had a chance to ride with it yet.  The rear mount was easy to fit and let me keep the headlight in place.  But I was always aware of it cantilevered behind at the rear of the subframe.

I've seen quite a few of Dave Wood's videos riding out here with a Bill Dart rack on the same terrain I ride, so thus the inspiration to move my saw forward.  I like how the saw is mounted directly over the suspension and in view of the rider.  I'll miss the headlight for aesthetic reasons, but I have yet to ride this bike in the dark so I don't think it'll be a big issue for me.  (Famous last words, right?)

Understand regarding the headlight. It's a "nice to have" but not a must have for me..The computer is more important to me. I made a mount above where the saw sits, worked out fine.

A group of us were riding Idaho in 2015 and ran across Dave (can't remember which trail - in the Stanley area). He scolded us for not having a saw in our group. For awhile I thought he was a bit out of line, but slowly came to the realization that he was absolutely right. Next time we make the trip my saw will be with me or with someone in the group.

Edited by dyrtmon
1 person likes this

On 2/15/2017 at 0:17 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

The 4 strokes have been more left out in recent years for extreme enduro but it wasn't some years ago.. Actually it seems like the 4 strokes just got guards.. maybe a fan and maybe some bigger radiators.. and not much else.. but times have changed.. the endurocross guys have some 4 stroke 350's. a few at least.. but now its 2 stroke's .. but not necessarily for extreme riding and trail riding but not racing.. So nothing wrong with visiting the 4 stroke side of extreme.

Dougie Lampkin won Hells Gate on a 4 stroke Beta 450rr beating jarvis.. only 2 finished. ..so it can happen but it's not common at all to see 4 strokes..but it's not like the setup was especially trick.. fan and maybe big radiators..maybe not even that.. and guards..that's it.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/race-reports/141_1002_hells_gate_enduro_2010

The 4T's are every bit as good as a 2T on extreme rides if you are in shape. No offense, but the out of shape riders such as myself do a lot better on the 2T just because it's so much lighter. In the East you rarely see a 4T just because the speeds are low and the bikes get heavy real quick with mud.

Some guys actually downsize to a 250 just because the they think the HP and off idle torque of the big 300 is just too much in the woods. It's too bad too. With proper headwork, tuning, and jetting, you can can make a 300 work and rev just as good as a 250 without the expense and labor of converting it. OTOH, if you have subpar wrenching skills then the conversion is a no brainer. 

Most of the older vet guys run a 2T for racing (even out here in the West).

In the West, big bore 4T is king! What it lacks in the nasty King Of Moto style rocky sections it makes up for when your are screaming over the sand, rocks, and whoops at over 60mph. While on occasion a 2T will podium in the dez, it's rare for a pro. And when you talk Dakar, Best Of the West, Baja 1000, etc, 2T's are damn near non existent at pro level.

1 person likes this

Have to disagree on the 4t's for extreme enduros. They don't work nearly as good as a 2t. That's why Cody, Colton, Taylor, Max etc. who normally race 4t's switch two a 2t for extreme races. They don't like fourstrokes at all when the going gets tough. I also know a lot of them (like the one I live with) actually like riding two strokes better, it's just faster to race a fourstroke in most types of races. 

You are right though, almost any kind of racing here outwest fourstroke is king!

4 people like this

9 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

The 4T's are every bit as good as a 2T on extreme rides if you are in shape. No offense, but the out of shape riders such as myself do a lot better on the 2T just because it's so much lighter. In the East you rarely see a 4T just because the speeds are low and the bikes get heavy real quick with mud.

Some guys actually downsize to a 250 just because the they think the HP and off idle torque of the big 300 is just too much in the woods. It's too bad too. With proper headwork, tuning, and jetting, you can can make a 300 work and rev just as good as a 250 without the expense and labor of converting it. OTOH, if you have subpar wrenching skills then the conversion is a no brainer. 

Most of the older vet guys run a 2T for racing (even out here in the West).

In the West, big bore 4T is king! What it lacks in the nasty King Of Moto style rocky sections it makes up for when your are screaming over the sand, rocks, and whoops at over 60mph. While on occasion a 2T will podium in the dez, it's rare for a pro. And when you talk Dakar, Best Of the West, Baja 1000, etc, 2T's are damn near non existent at pro level.

In extreme terrain, there is no way the 2 stroke isn't better. It's not a fitness thing for me either...don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm at a very high level of fitness right now. I'm physically capable of man-handling my 300 dual sport around King of the Moto's if I had to. However, i'd be waaayyy faster on any 200+ 2 stroke...lighter weight 2 strokes handle better, they don't stall as easily, and the quick revving power is perfect for zapping up obstacles.

I will say that the 4 strokes have the advantage at the top level of nearly every other racing discipline.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

While on occasion a 2T will podium in the dez, it's rare for a pro. And when you talk Dakar, Best Of the West, Baja 1000, etc, 2T's are damn near non existent at pro level.

Of course. But I think what the OP was asking is what do us normal folks do/carry et cetera on our "lay person" death rides.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Of course. But I think what the OP was asking is what do us normal folks do/carry et cetera on our "lay person" death rides.

I did get off topic a lot. in the spirit of staying on the subject, here is what I do. I no longer race but set all my bikes up like i still race. I hate breaking down on the trail

On all KTM's this is a must! You might go 10 years with nothing happening then one day you end up with no brakes in the worst spot. This is a tip from my District 37 racing buddy after losing my pads in the desert.

IMG_1712_zpsmrpcauou.jpg

IMG_1713_zpschurjbsu.jpg

I used to use riveted chains only. I do so many gearing changes these days I've opted to use clips and silicone them. I saw a neat trick on ADV rider where the guy safety wired his clip. Don't do it. Turns out it's 100% bullshit! I tried it and it lasted a few revolutions of the wheel before breaking off.

IMG_2255.JPG

For extreme rides in the rocks where I need real traction I groove my tires. They will chunk a bit but stick like velcro. Best to do it on worn out tire.

IMG_1684_zpsm3dtizsa.jpg

Lots of zip ties wherever they will fit and I always carry a tube of Quicksteel.

Steel zip ties when near exhaust.

IMG_1596_zpsdefprgiy.jpg

Lots of zip ties to keep bike together!

IMG_0996_zps8p3xc31l.jpg

For temps over 300 degrees I opted to line my 4 gallon tank. It actually works. I only get vapor lock and boil gas once or twice a ride and only when temps are hovering in the 300 degree range.

IMG_0909_zpsqmih2abh.jpg

Flip your clevis pin for easy brake arm removal (so you can bend it back in shape) and don't forget the brake snake.

100_4584_zpsaz4h0fmk.jpg

I am all about enjoying my ride and get the bike going quickly when it breaks. 

Edited by ballisticexchris
4 people like this