hawaiidirtrider

Extreme Enduro Setup for bike and rider?

62 posts in this topic

There are tire choices for extreme.. depending on what kind of terrain.. lots like this.. and some use trials tires too..

On 2/14/2017 at 8:22 AM, dyrtmon said:

A few of the rides I've been on lately have been a little extreme  - the weather lately has something to do with it. I treat every ride as an intense enduro as we can find ourselves 40 miles away from the truck. I have alot of stuff in my pack, but the items I've used most lately are webbing pull straps for getting guys out of mud or up slick hills and a Corona folding razor saw for cutting blowdown that can't be gone around. I also have a Corona fixed blade thats 14" that really does a job. I do have a chainsaw mount on my KTM 300 and do a fair amount of clearing in the winter (like now).

Yea that sort of sounds like where I'm at.. no chainsaw mount yet but could at some time.. Some just carry a little one in their backpack... I actually need to go through my pack and re organize .. It feels like I have a hundred pounds back there. I need to simplify or at least adjust my pack for different kind of rides..or missions.. I carry a saw and a machete too.. and different kinds of machetes for different kinds of cutting of grass or thicker brush.. I have tools and some universal stuff like wire and duct tape and heater hose since it's been a couple of times that I or others have blown radiator hose in the mountains.. I was lucky and the last time on my honda a guy busted out heater hose and I got out of the bush.. I have an msr 10 or 15ft nylon strap.. it's light .. got chain link kit.. which is on ebay now..comes all together.. but there's no end to the amount of shit that can go in a backpack.. then it's actually dangerous as the pack is too heavy and I'm already taller.. sometimes the balance point on going up and down steep hills isn't good and I have more of a chance of falling ..and have..sort of because my pack is too big and heavy..  The issue is if you are in the trail and you need something to get out and you don't have it?  It depends on who you are riding with too.. as some guys don't carry anything.. and some guys carry some. I'm a victim a little of the boy scout mentality to be prepared.. and I've been saved in the past by having tools and extra stuff in my backpack.

Agree 100 percent. Like you, being a FF has trained me to expect the unexpected. Guys like having me with them as I (most of the time) have the stuff needed to get the job done....(but crap I didn't have any ibuprofen for a dude awhile back..) 

Another item I always carry is a reliable communication device. Have been a ham radio operator since the seventies and in addition to my cell phone I have access to radio repeaters that enable me to summon a helo if necessary. Nice to have that in my back pocket......

However, you shouldn't have to carry 100 lbs of shit for every single mechanical situation. Guys that you ride with should carry stuff as well, but we know that some of em don't - a long walk out will cure that however..

3 people like this

1 hour ago, dyrtmon said:

Agree 100 percent. Like you, being a FF has trained me to expect the unexpected. Guys like having me with them as I (most of the time) have the stuff needed to get the job done....(but crap I didn't have any ibuprofen for a dude awhile back..) 

Another item I always carry is a reliable communication device. Have been a ham radio operator since the seventies and in addition to my cell phone I have access to radio repeaters that enable me to summon a helo if necessary. Nice to have that in my back pocket......

However, you shouldn't have to carry 100 lbs of shit for every single mechanical situation. Guys that you ride with should carry stuff as well, but we know that some of em don't - a long walk out will cure that however..

Yea not actually  a hundred but idk 30 40? Not weighed but too much whatever it is..but yea that FF mentality sort of takes over a bit at times .Think too much sometimes..be prepared. 

Got some footage of pipe cage for guards in this new vid of the Kauai Labor Day Hare and hound 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, livefivetwofive said:

wonder how long they last.. cool though.. one more option! running kenda ibex now.. and have a 505 waiting.. and a sedona.. and an MT 16 ..and some other dunlop.. it's a good thing I have more bikes that need tires.. Thanks for posting up!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Great!!! 

Where is this exactly? What state etc?

Marquette Michigan, in the upper peninsula, south shore of Lake Superior.  It's going to be pretty hardcore, we don't expect many to finish.  Dick Burleson was up last week and he and another club member ran the last section(by far the hardest), it took them 3 hours to do 8 miles.  The first section is tight and gnarly but rideable by most good B riders.  The second section is not as tight but way more technical rocky climbs and relentless.  Should be fun!  Good prize money too.

Entry fee: Classes B, A, AA $75
Pro Class $150

Cash purse for A and Pro riders (Parts Unlimited gift certificates for B class)

Pro Class: 1st $2,000
2nd $1,000
3rd $750

A & AA: 1st $1,500
2nd $1,000
3rd $750

Class B: 1st $1,000 gift cert.
2nd $750 gift cert.
3rd $500 gift cert.
4th $300 gift cert.
5th $200 gift cert.

Race Info:
- Knockout Format: Must finish each section within
1 hour of leader
- No Trials Bikes
- No spectator help (immediate DQ)
- AMA Membership Required
- Two Row Mass Start
1st Row: Pro, AA, and A
2nd Row: Class B

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Marquette Michigan, in the upper peninsula, south shore of Lake Superior.  It's going to be pretty hardcore, we don't expect many to finish.  Dick Burleson was up last week and he and another club member ran the last section(by far the hardest), it took them 3 hours to do 8 miles.  The first section is tight and gnarly but rideable by most good B riders.  The second section is not as tight but way more technical rocky climbs and relentless.  Should be fun!  Good prize money too.

Entry fee: Classes B, A, AA $75
Pro Class $150

Cash purse for A and Pro riders (Parts Unlimited gift certificates for B class)

Pro Class: 1st $2,000
2nd $1,000
3rd $750

A & AA: 1st $1,500
2nd $1,000
3rd $750

Class B: 1st $1,000 gift cert.
2nd $750 gift cert.
3rd $500 gift cert.
4th $300 gift cert.
5th $200 gift cert.

Race Info:
- Knockout Format: Must finish each section within
1 hour of leader
- No Trials Bikes
- No spectator help (immediate DQ)
- AMA Membership Required
- Two Row Mass Start
1st Row: Pro, AA, and A
2nd Row: Class B

It sounds great!!! I wish I could ride it! I hope it all works out great 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

just a quick search got this... is this in the general area???

Good find! Yeah that's our trails, this is my back yard literally 15 minutes from my house.  Those two trails they were on are the Mountain Loop and the Wee Wee Hills, two of our main trails and they'd rank about a mid level in difficulty.  There's some loops off of those that are ridiculous and the hard enduro trails are in that area too but will be much harder also.  We're really blessed, we've got 7500 acres of mining property we have permission to build trail and play on.  Btw those guys should have never gone down the tracks, they're live and run right through Goose Lake and there's no where to go if that train comes. 

2 people like this

I just saw this nice pipe guard setup with the skid plate at the beginning here.. it looks burly.. not so great for the weight conscious guys but for the guys that straight just want a protected bike it looks good a bunch here have a variation of that type of guard on their bikes.... too bad the chain got screwed.. maybe a bullet proof designs chain guide plust a tm or brp plastic chain guide would be good.. I'm thinking the front countershaft guard would be better.. Idon't know though maybe there was one there earlier but they took it off to get the chain out?.. . maybe. ..but a guard for the countershaft area looks like a good idea too instead of bunhing up and shreding the clutch and the cases and whatever..