Getting back into dirt bikes after 10 years... help

Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you may have some advice for me.  I used to ride dirt bikes for fun (on bayous, neighborhood trails, around the family ranch, etc) back when I was in high school and college.  Always just had little two stroke 125's.... Well then life happened and I didn't ride or have a bike for the past ten years.  Soooo, now I recently bought a new house with a bayou behind me and tons of dirt bike trails all around.  So naturally, I'm looking at getting back into riding.  However, I can't decide what kind of bike I should get.  I dont really want to shell out the coin for a brand new bike that will just be ridden on the bayous and trails just for fun... especially when the wife and I have a new baby on the way.  So I've been looking on Craigslist mostly.  Anyways, here's my delima / question....  It seems now days four strokes are the thing? I mean I don't even see that Honda even makes a two stroke bike any longer?  I like the idea of the four stroke bring easier to ride and not having to mix gas and stuff also.  BUT, I read that the 250 four strokes tend to not last very long (a concern since I'll probably be buying off of craigslist) and honestly I'm not sure if I could or couldn't handle a 450 after all these years.  I also understand that rebuilding a four stroke motor is far more expensive than rebuilding a two stroke.  So I could potentially spend a few thousand bucks on a bike from a person only to have it need to be rebuilt a month or two later and then have that cost another 1000- 2000 bucks. Is that about right? Are the 450's really that much more bullet proof?  I guess my other option would be to go two stroke where at least even if it does need to be rebuilt soon after buying Its only going to cost me 500 bucks or so right? Sorry for the long write up!  I'm just really having a hard time figuring out my best path. Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to correct me if anything I've said is incorrect!  Thanks again!!

ps... I'm looking at CRF's, YZF's, and YZ's... would also consider KTM but their aren't many for sale around me.

• Like 1

2T or 4T is like Ford and Chevy, Coke and Pepsi - everyone likes what they like and there is no "right" one to pick. For the light enduro riding you are doing a properly maintained 4 stroke with last forever without needing a rebuild. If maintenance is your biggest concern then stay away from the KTM's and get a Honda. The KTM will out perform the Honda but the service intervals on the Honda are few and far between, well taken care of they last for eons.

The 2 stroke option is also a good one, they feel like they have more power on tap (although they don't), are lighter and a rebuild is cheap. I'd say go test ride a few to see what feels right for you and pick what you like. You will probably be happy with a 250, anything semi modern has a lot of balls.

8 hours ago, B-Fishin said:

Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you may have some advice for me.  I used to ride dirt bikes for fun (on bayous, neighborhood trails, around the family ranch, etc) back when I was in high school and college.  Always just had little two stroke 125's.... Well then life happened and I didn't ride or have a bike for the past ten years.  Soooo, now I recently bought a new house with a bayou behind me and tons of dirt bike trails all around.  So naturally, I'm looking at getting back into riding.  However, I can't decide what kind of bike I should get.  I dont really want to shell out the coin for a brand new bike that will just be ridden on the bayous and trails just for fun... especially when the wife and I have a new baby on the way.  So I've been looking on Craigslist mostly.  Anyways, here's my delima / question....  It seems now days four strokes are the thing? I mean I don't even see that Honda even makes a two stroke bike any longer?  I like the idea of the four stroke bring easier to ride and not having to mix gas and stuff also.  BUT, I read that the 250 four strokes tend to not last very long (a concern since I'll probably be buying off of craigslist) and honestly I'm not sure if I could or couldn't handle a 450 after all these years.  I also understand that rebuilding a four stroke motor is far more expensive than rebuilding a two stroke.  So I could potentially spend a few thousand bucks on a bike from a person only to have it need to be rebuilt a month or two later and then have that cost another 1000- 2000 bucks. Is that about right? Are the 450's really that much more bullet proof?  I guess my other option would be to go two stroke where at least even if it does need to be rebuilt soon after buying Its only going to cost me 500 bucks or so right? Sorry for the long write up!  I'm just really having a hard time figuring out my best path. Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to correct me if anything I've said is incorrect!  Thanks again!!

ps... I'm looking at CRF's, YZF's, and YZ's... would also consider KTM but their aren't many for sale around me.

Ok so first things first, you don't want to buy a MX bike for cruising the bayou. The suspension and power delivery are going to make you work much more to keep the bike controlled. You don't want a 450, too much power for just goofing around, your focus will be throttle control instead of just having fun. 450 4 strokes are not bullet proof by any means, the fact of the matter is that most people can't ride them to a fraction of their potential so the motors just aren't at high rev, high load for as long as a 250 4 stroke. For the same reason, 250 4 stroke MX bikes seem to have a higher attrition rate because people rag on them hard. This is another reason why you don't want an MX bike. Not only are you not riding MX tracks but you don't want a bike thats been raced. This is just informational tho, you still don't want a MX bike so don't even worry about it. 

You want to be looking for a 250cc 2 stroke or 4 stroke enduro bike. The 4 strokes are easier to ride in that they deliver power consistently and the power curve is linear. A 250 4 stroke is still plenty of power for what you're going to be doing. Another option is a newer 350 4 stroke, still light but has more power than a 250. Something that is a pro or con depending on your preference is the engine braking of a 4 stroke. Let off the gas and its like lightly putting on the brakes. Personally, I like that. Coming from a 2 stroke background, it might take a couple rides to get used to.  A 2 stroke 250 enduro bike with a power valve is an attractive option. With the power valve, you can change out springs and adjust when the power hit comes on. Some springs just about eliminate the power hit. 

A 4 stroke bike thats not raced will typically need to be rebuilt less frequently than a 2 stroke but at the same time, a rebuild costs more. A 2 stroke bike thats not raced will need to be rebuilt more often but the rebuild costs less money. If you're not racing, the rebuild thing is basically a wash. If you race, its a different story. Service intervals per the manufacturer are dictated by worst case scenario.. basically they assume the bike is only being raced. This is one of the reasons why KTMs are prescribed shorter service intervals, its assumed that they are being raced and they make race bikes. Their enduro bikes are meant to be raced in the woods. This is also why they generally out perform other bikes. If you're not racing, the bike doesn't see anywhere near the abuse a raced bike sees and will last significantly longer as long as basic maintenance is kept up on. 

The KDX200 mentioned in another post is a good option for a more budget friendly 2 stroke bike and same with the xr250 for 4 stroke. Any KTM enduro 2 or 4 stroke is a good option. Any Husky enduro 2 or 4 stroke after 2014 is a good option. The main thing is to buy a bike thats designed to be ridden how you're going to ride it. That means if you're not going to ride MX, don't buy an MX bike. Any enduro bike will suite your needs. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke are two different riding styles, both have plenty of power, both are fun, both have their pros and cons. If you want to just get out there and ride, forget about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and just find yourself an enduro bike thats in good shape for a good price. Good luck, hope this helped, happy riding ? 

• Like 3

You want a trail bike, you want to ride trails, hills, swamps, get dirty, etc. Not go fast.

There are lots of great bikes out there, do not waste time finding the perfect bike. You won't be spending all that much money, so getting a less than perfect one is not a big deal, just sell it and buy something else. For two-strokes a KDX200/220 are great reliable bikes. If you want a mellow four stroke with electric start, get a Honda CRF230F

• Like 1

yz125.  any year.  kdx 200 or 250.   or go for the yz250, if you want more power.   xr250 or 400 is a fat slob, can barely get out of its own way, the ones i rode.     hard to go wrong with the yz125.   450 moto bikes are pretty gnarly.  250 4 stroke moto bikes are pretty awesome, but, alot of money to rebuild.... theyre almost as fast as 250 2 strokes.     another option is ktm... ktm have electric start and people really want them!    they will keep value.   i ride a xr650l... i kinda love it. its heavy and street legal.  electric start.  alot of motor, once you get a pipe, its close to 450 motocross bike fast.   i think id go for the yz125, its just a great bike, and actually has some low end power....

Yamaha WR's are a good bet... but you can't go wrong with a 250 smoker... they run forever, easy maintenance, and you can up grade with better pipes, tires, reeds, all that stuff... I was exactly like you... got out of the game for about 10-12 years and picked it right back up... I have 2- CRF 250R's 1- CRF 450R and a CR 250R, and a brand new XR650L.... when I want to rip a motocross track up, the CR250 works for me... it's faster than the 250 4-strokes and more fun than the 450R... and someone said above... only a handful of riders and handle a 450 4-stroke to its limits... other than that its just what you want to ride...

Check Craigslist and pick something up and have fun on it....

22 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

Ok so first things first, you don't want to buy a MX bike for cruising the bayou. The suspension and power delivery are going to make you work much more to keep the bike controlled. You don't want a 450, too much power for just goofing around, your focus will be throttle control instead of just having fun. 450 4 strokes are not bullet proof by any means, the fact of the matter is that most people can't ride them to a fraction of their potential so the motors just aren't at high rev, high load for as long as a 250 4 stroke. For the same reason, 250 4 stroke MX bikes seem to have a higher attrition rate because people rag on them hard. This is another reason why you don't want an MX bike. Not only are you not riding MX tracks but you don't want a bike thats been raced. This is just informational tho, you still don't want a MX bike so don't even worry about it. 

You want to be looking for a 250cc 2 stroke or 4 stroke enduro bike. The 4 strokes are easier to ride in that they deliver power consistently and the power curve is linear. A 250 4 stroke is still plenty of power for what you're going to be doing. Another option is a newer 350 4 stroke, still light but has more power than a 250. Something that is a pro or con depending on your preference is the engine braking of a 4 stroke. Let off the gas and its like lightly putting on the brakes. Personally, I like that. Coming from a 2 stroke background, it might take a couple rides to get used to.  A 2 stroke 250 enduro bike with a power valve is an attractive option. With the power valve, you can change out springs and adjust when the power hit comes on. Some springs just about eliminate the power hit. 

A 4 stroke bike thats not raced will typically need to be rebuilt less frequently than a 2 stroke but at the same time, a rebuild costs more. A 2 stroke bike thats not raced will need to be rebuilt more often but the rebuild costs less money. If you're not racing, the rebuild thing is basically a wash. If you race, its a different story. Service intervals per the manufacturer are dictated by worst case scenario.. basically they assume the bike is only being raced. This is one of the reasons why KTMs are prescribed shorter service intervals, its assumed that they are being raced and they make race bikes. Their enduro bikes are meant to be raced in the woods. This is also why they generally out perform other bikes. If you're not racing, the bike doesn't see anywhere near the abuse a raced bike sees and will last significantly longer as long as basic maintenance is kept up on. 

The KDX200 mentioned in another post is a good option for a more budget friendly 2 stroke bike and same with the xr250 for 4 stroke. Any KTM enduro 2 or 4 stroke is a good option. Any Husky enduro 2 or 4 stroke after 2014 is a good option. The main thing is to buy a bike thats designed to be ridden how you're going to ride it. That means if you're not going to ride MX, don't buy an MX bike. Any enduro bike will suite your needs. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke are two different riding styles, both have plenty of power, both are fun, both have their pros and cons. If you want to just get out there and ride, forget about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and just find yourself an enduro bike thats in good shape for a good price. Good luck, hope this helped, happy riding ? 

This, what Thumpy said. The only thing I might add is that the adjustable power valve is only on KTM's, to my knowledge. Not sure if Husqvarna has them, though. 

I just read this whole thread at once, so not sure who said what. But like others said, buy the bike that's meant to be ridden how you intend to ride. The 4 stroke trail bikes are probably the motors you've heard about being bulllet proof, since they are not high strung, like the MX bikes. (Cr230 or TTR230 for example) And even though those little bikes aren't nearly as fast as the MX bikes, with some suspension set up, and intake and exhaust mods, I've seen some guys flat out fly with those! I don't think you mentioned your size? Those 230's aren't meant for the big guys though. I have a friend who's a fairly big boy with a TTR230, and he looks like a circus bear on a tricycle.

Regardless of size, if you're just riding woods, get a woods/trail bike. I spent a lot of money on 4 bikes trying to find the right one. Wish I had just gotten a woods bike from the start. Btw, whoever said a 125 2 stroke has bottom end must only ride on flat ground lol. I bought a YZ125 and rode it 4 times. It was absolutely gutless on bottom end for any hill climbs and slow, technical hills. I'm a 2 stroke guy for the all the reasons mentioned (and weight), so IMO the KDX200/220 is a great suggestion (although the KDX is a little heavy for a 2 stroke, at around 230-240 lbs)

Just my opinions. 

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1

I'm a two-stroke guy, but think your needs would be better met on a four stroke.  The Honda CRF230, Yamaha TTR 230, etc are mild mannered trail bikes that won't break the bank.  As I'm sure you know, buy used as bike depreciate big time.  Much like women, you may have to try out several until you find what you like.  Wait, that came out wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

The only thing I might add is that the adjustable power valve is only on KTM's, to my knowledge. Not sure if Husqvarna has them, though. 

Current Husqvarna and KTM use exactly the same engine, tranny, etc. The frames are nearly (or maybe completely) identical. There are differences, like subframe, brake components, forks, plus dampening tuning, etc. And of course, color, KTMs are usually Orange, and Husqv are usually blue and yellow.

I saw some good advice,  I got back into dirt riding  after almost twenty years off.  We used to ride as a family of 4 , and I rode quite a few enduros on a kdx200.

I quite riding when my kids went off collage, and got the urge again after we bought our cabin up near Wolverine MI.  I started off looking at kdx's and xr-200 R's, but after test riding a few and remembering how fast I used to ride, and remembering my age, I wound up buying a nice little crf-230 Honda.  I was put off a bit by the electric start,  but now I kinda like it.   A new set of knobbies, and a bit of fork tuning and I love it.  I don't think I 'll live long enough to wear it out.  It handles great and is quick, up to about 50mph.  If your more concerned with going fast, the kdx or xr200R will do fast very well, especially on tight wooed trails like we ride.  If  your just looking at trail riding, The crf-230 is a surprisingly good bike.  My brother-in-law riding partner just bought a built up Honda 400.  He's 68,  personally its to much bike for me,  I'm 66.

My Kdx's had power valves, and the power band is pretty similar between the kdx and the xr200R..  The Kdx might need the upper end done a little more often if you ride ALOT,  and the Crf will run a close second behind the other two.   Honda engines last a long time if you don't mistreat them.

Have a great time getting back into it,

Greyman

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the great information guys! This forum is awesome!! I had never thought about an enduro bike simply because I've always had the motocross bikes in the past.  Thinking about it though, that may be the route to go for now? Then once I get a feel back for it if I wanted to hit up some mx tracks I could always get a dedicated mx bike at that time. Definitely something to think about! Thanks again for all the great information to go through! Greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I'll second, third or fourth the suggestion for a trail/enduro bike. I bought an XR400 late last year after a long absence from the dirt. I never had much experience in the dirt prior to my break but knowing how bulletproof the XR4 was I went with that, did one great day of trail riding before the snow flew & fell in love. Over the winter I tore the XR400 down & have been throwing so much money into it that I will never recoup but it's been a fun learning experience in the garage so it's worth it to me. In the meantime I found a deal on a cherry 1994 KDX & picked that up as well for a buddy bike.

I'm 6'2" but way out of shape & old (46) the lower seat height is appreciated on the KDX since my hips are stiff & lifting (dragging) my leg over the XR get's tiring on a long trail ride. After spending a little bit of time doing slow practice drills in the yard on my KDX it's making me think I should stick with the 2T, the light weight(compared to the XR4), tractor ability with good clutch skills & low seat height is the reason why the KDX is legendary for woods. Honestly after a little time on the KDX lifting that beast of an XR onto the stand makes me want to sell it & get a new modern 2T like a KTM or Beta. It's tough when you are just starting out but I'd suggest riding a 2T & 4T, maybe talk to some folks in your area & see what they ride, that's a good indicator of what works in your area. Around me it's all about KTM's for the tight snotty New England trails we ride, some of the older Thumpers work well too due to the steady tractor like power delivery. I'd look for an XR 250, CRF 230 or CRF 250X for a four stroke or one of the newer generation 2T's like the KTM's so you don't have that light switch effect that older 2T's are notorious for or FINALLY if you can find one grab the old legendary KDX, it's legendary for a reason. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B-Fishin said:

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the great information guys! This forum is awesome!! I had never thought about an enduro bike simply because I've always had the motocross bikes in the past.  Thinking about it though, that may be the route to go for now? Then once I get a feel back for it if I wanted to hit up some mx tracks I could always get a dedicated mx bike at that time. Definitely something to think about! Thanks again for all the great information to go through! Greatly appreciated!

Don't forget, bikes are toys. If you buy one thats in decent shape for a decent price and you don't destroy it or do stupid things to it, you can usually sell it for what you bought it for or even a little more. If you have the money to have two bikes, one enduro for the bayou and one mx for the track, thats the way to be. Buy for what you're going to be doing immediately, don't buy for something you might want to do in the future. Even with the best of intentions, most of the time those future plans don't happen. If you do end up having the desire to ride mx after a while, cross that bridge when you get there. Have fun!!