00 kx250 Head damage

I decided to redo my top end as taking my exhaust off I noticed my power valve had alot of built up carbon. After popping off the head I notice it and the piston had alot of bad pits. The sleeve itself is actually really good with only one small spot near the bottom that has a nick. My bottom end is good with no play so I don't want to touch that. I'm wondering what can be done to the head to fix it? The damage is only on the outer part of the head as you can see. Thoughts?20170216_224606.jpg20170216_224613.jpg20170216_224631.jpg20170205_155740.jpg20170216_225818.jpg20170216_224618.jpg

Something definitely went through it at some point.  Usually that kind of scarring is from a piece of metallic debris.

You can either replace the head or knock off the high spots and sharp edges and just run it as is.  I am concerned about the origin of the debris that caused the damage though.

From looks of that thing a top end job probably will lead to bottom failure.  

I agree. I'm going to buy a magnetic oil plug and put a new top end. As long as it won't impact permanent I will try and clean it up. I have had the bike for 2 years and never touched the engine though never rode that much. Just decided to re uild because I notice the really dirty power valves.

Moto86 why do you say that?

2 minutes ago, Nalco said:

I agree. I'm going to buy a magnetic oil plug and put a new top end. As long as it won't impact permanent I will try and clean it up. I have had the bike for 2 years and never touched the engine though never rode that much. Just decided to re uild because I notice the really dirty power valves.

Moto86 why do you say that?

Because it's whooped no offense. New compression will be to much for old whooped out crank. but never know. Alot of times they run long time like that . But it gradually loses performence and you may not notice. You put new bottom, top,reeds and clean powervalve make sure working rite. That thing will rip hang on lol i use to race kx's like that. Dragster engine 

Oh sorry I meant just clean up the burs not increase compression. Will I lose that much performance with the nicks in the head?

Something was in there tho. But maybe file alitte if any burrs.  Top of piston not big deal.  Run it?? those engines are bullet proof I'll say that lol 

For sure something was in there. Based on the sleeve it looks like it came in banged around and left. Thanks for all the help. One more question, what's your thoughts on my power valve? Don't know much about them but the carbon buildup is why I'm redoing the top end.

5 minutes ago, Nalco said:

For sure something was in there. Based on the sleeve it looks like it came in banged around and left. Thanks for all the help. One more question, what's your thoughts on my power valve? Don't know much about them but the carbon buildup is why I'm redoing the top end.

Take them out clean ,scrape, just lay it out how you take out for say. Sure there's a video somewhere.  

Yup found one on YouTube. Thanks.

head is junk, either get another one off ebay or spend more to get that one repaired

please tell me you dont think the magnetic bolt has anything to with the shrapnel fest that went on in the engine's top end

I was hoping to clean up the burs and still use it but I guess not. Regarding the plug, I was just saying I might get a magnetic for the future.

Thanks for the info. Based on that report it looks my head is still ok to use. The ones in the report ghat say to machine look to have damage to the outer ring where the gasket meets. Attached is a picture of mine.

20170218_105625.jpg