KTM SX-F250 dies when throttle given

Im guessing like you now.. the tps .. regulator or ecu are all possibilities .  FI is nice but carbs are so much Easier To fix troubleshoot and tune. Bikes are becoming about as much of a pain in the a$$ to work on as cars. Yeah you've already checked harness voltage and pump resistance so thats eliminated. Injector is clean. Throttle body is clean. New filters. I think its time to have the dealer scan the ecu to see and check it out. You might be able to call one and get stock tps settings, and all the resistances for everything to check yourself though . But they might also tell you to piss off. To me it feels like an electrical gremlin as I've mentioned.

I called my local KTM dealer today & ran everything by them thats going on. They seem to think fuel pressure regulator but until they check it out, they can't say for sure.

Funny thing is, it's almost cheaper to "throw" parts at it in hopes of figuring it out than it is to take on the dealer labor rates and their parts cost. 

Try to picture this if you will.... I bench tested the factory fuel pump without the fuel pressure regulator (just the pump). It was pushing 60psi. Reinstalled the factory pump with brand new filters. Tried pressure testing the fuel line that exits the tank (where the fuel line quick disconnect is) and not seeing much pressure.

I installed new pump in tank & reassembled everything . Tested for fuel pressure at same disconnect location and same result.

There is some pressure in the line but not really registering much on pressure gauge. Can I even test pressure at this location and get an accurate reading?

Also do they offer just the pressure regulator without purchasing the entire hose/harness assembly? 

Edited by KTM73

Ok so I fixed the issue with my sxf dying. It was a bad fuel pressure regulator. The factory one evidently deteriorated from sitting for so long ( with possible ethanol fuel that had been sitting in tank). Diaphragm inside the regulator was rotted away. New one installed and starts right up. No wonder to my next issue.....timing chain tensioner issues...see my next post on this topic.

Edited by KTM73
  • Like 1