Fuel in the Oil - Fuel Injection

Just serviced my 2015 YZ250F, noticed the oil looked thinner than normal, and on closer inspection found oil smelt of fuel.

Being fuel injected how can this happen? Leaking injector?

Anyone had the same problem?

well to me that's a long time. We change ours every couple rides.  I'm thinking maybe your oil was just broken down that much.   I've seen oil as thin as water,have multi colored bubbles on the surface that looks like fuel and actually smells like fuel.  Do your motor a favor and change your oil more often!

If this was a carburetor machine I would think needle seat would need to be replaced.  Can a FI fail and cause fuel to leak in the oil over time?

9 hours ago, Goatse said:

What's the temperature where you ride?

If you're cold winter riding it could be over fueling.

Not super cold, down to about 15 degrees C would be about it

11 hours ago, freebird65 said:

If this was a carburetor machine I would think needle seat would need to be replaced.  Can a FI fail and cause fuel to leak in the oil over time?

That's what I'm looking into, wondering if its happened to anyone else out there. Seen some stuff on road bike forums that suggest the injector seal could be leaking. Meaning everytime the bike is shut off that the fuel between the fuel pump and injector will leak into the head and end up in the sump. 

Not sure at the moment though