Sign in to follow this  

How to tame a monster

A few months ago I bought a 2002 50sx pro junior LC. The guy I got it from told me that it had sit most its life and was never messed with. It wouldn't start so he sold it to me cheap. So, I took it home put a new stator on it, and she fired right up. Clean filter, new fluids and it was running fine. I put my kid on it and he came right back and said "NO". The problem is that its way too fast, too much torque, it's a bad little mammer jammer!  We rode down the street together so I could get an idea of how fast it was, but every time he gave it a little gas it stood straight up and scared him to death. I haven't been able to find anything about how to tame it down, other than to change the sprockets. So I thought I'd ask and see if any of you guys had any ideas. 

Change the sprockets so the torque isn't applied as hard, granted, it will be faster top speed.

Take timing out assuming you can adjust the stator position. Be sure to mark the current timing.

Put a fender washer in the exhaust, this will reduce the efficiency of the expansion chamber causing it to put less fresh charge back in the cylinder.

This is a race bike, maybe you should consider stepping your rider down to something that won't scare the crap out of him? It's very important to make little kids feel like they're in control. If they feel scared all the time, they'll eventually tell you they simply do not want to ride any more and that's far worse than buying a different bike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smacaroni said:

Change the sprockets so the torque isn't applied as hard, granted, it will be faster top speed.

Take timing out assuming you can adjust the stator position. Be sure to mark the current timing.

Put a fender washer in the exhaust , this will reduce the efficiency of the expansion chamber causing it to put less fresh charge back in the cylinder.

This is a race bike, maybe you should consider stepping your rider down to something that won't scare the crap out of him? It's very important to make little kids feel like they're in control. If they feel scared all the time, they'll eventually tell you they simply do not want to ride any more and that's far worse than buying a different bike.

My son rides a '99 KTM sx sr.  Its a much bigger & heavier bike and also has drum brakes. He races 50cc A class, and does well on it.  He's very fast, with natural skills. He's smaller than all the other kids, but rides a bigger bike. I was just wanting to put him on a lighter bike with better brakes and suspension. 

I've thought about some kind of restriction for the exhaust. I'll change the gearing. But I was hoping that there was a way to tune it down, like the newer bikes. I don't think any kid under 80lbs could ride this bike. Since I don't really know the history of the bike I can only assume that it has a big bore kit or something. Thanks for the ideas. I'll get a washer in it and see if that helps.  

Youre right though. I should probably just sell it and buy a bike that's less scary. 

Change the clutch washer stacks to the mini adventure springs. The clutch will engage just above idle instead of 8000 rpm and make it much easier to ride.

You can also put a piece of rubber hose over the throttle cable just above the slide in the carb so that he only gets partial throttle until he gets used to the bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodneya said:

Change the clutch washer stacks to the mini adventure springs. The clutch will engage just above idle instead of 8000 rpm and make it much easier to ride.

You can also put a piece of rubber hose over the throttle cable just above the slide in the carb so that he only gets partial throttle until he gets used to the bike.

Thank you. I'll try the mini adventure springs.