HRC copy cams BEWARE!

That's why a guy should only use an original HRC cam, or at the very least the Hot Cams Stage 1.  A Stage 1 is not as nice as the HRC because it doesn't have the auto decompressor, but at least it isn't a regrind and is made well.  Regrinding jacks up the metallurgy of the camshaft core, and if the time was spent to retreat everything to make it as good as a new camshaft, it would cost the same as a camshaft that had the correct lobe profile to start with.

Really?  Hard welded cams have been around forever and a proven way to modify the cam lobes.  I have run dozens of hardwelded re-profiled cams without issues.

That being said that xr's only cam was not done correctly, who uses epoxy on a cam, very sloppy.

Edited by baldy110
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 6:28 AM, eastreich said:

That's why a guy should only use an original HRC cam, or at the very least the Hot Cams Stage 1.  A Stage 1 is not as nice as the HRC because it doesn't have the auto decompressor, but at least it isn't a regrind and is made well.  Regrinding jacks up the metallurgy of the camshaft core, and if the time was spent to retreat everything to make it as good as a new camshaft, it would cost the same as a camshaft that had the correct lobe profile to start with.

Have you ever tried to find an original HRC cam for a xrr?  I know one person in South Africa who was able to find one, and he now keeps it in a glass case in his living room.   I don't know why anyone would care about the auto-decomp; I view it as a liability.  

I should have got pictures of the rockers before I sent them back, there did appear to be some galling, but they held up well considering what the cam was doing.  I replaced them with hardfaced for an additional $250.  I was willing to stick with OEM rockers, and if I had to do it over again it would be hot cams and oem.  

This repair could have been done for about half not using Xrsonly.  

As far as the core goes, you need to remember these are not V8 engines, and the cam is only about 3.5" long.