San Diego CRF230F Owners

Hi All-

Briefly---I have a 230L, love it but want more and now just bought a 230f and am excited by the three rides I've done in and around Tecate so far. I'm overwhelmed by  the suspension mod choices available, most of which are expensive. I don't want to throw money at the bike without knowing how it rides after spending $$$. My suspension is stock and I'm considering fork and rear shock upgrades. I would love to get even the briefest of rides on anyone else's bike who has done any of the following:

1.Emulators or new damping rods and rebuild

2. Steering stabilizer/damper

3. Either the Works, Fox, or the other (Hein sp?) shock

4. A reputable shop in town who has done these mods before. Mark at DMC is where I've been going for routine stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm not up for finding an entire other set of forks from another model and fitting them. Too complicated for my patience level and old man riding style. Unless you know the shop/guy who can do it all.

Can I buy anyone a beer to let me ride around the block on their bike? I've been reading up about other peoples opinions on their suspension upgrades and it just isn't enough for me. I'd really appreciate a hand-on experience. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

If you don't find any takers, you should follow what all the others seem to do in the 230 forum. If you go south of the border I'm sure Baja needle would give you a ride on his 230. He has the CR85 forks with the Fox shock.

I'm here in So. Cal. but my 230 is BBR framed with CR85 suspension. It works well by the way.

If you modify stock suspension forget about local, I believe Bruce Tripelite was the guy to send it to according to Vortec.

If you had the money and time the CR85/150r forks and Fox shock would be the best. Baja needle might be able to get you Mike Haney or someone to put the forks on and Baja trail rider is a Fox shock dealer.

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 1

Gordon Banks did "Gordon's Mods for the XR400".   He sold his XR400 and moved to the CRF230F.    He was an inventive guy, so you might do a search with "Gordon" along with CRF230.

At some point, you will be adding another and another thing...  Until you realize maybe you should start off with more bike.

My friend's KTM 300EXC was revalved by Race Tech and they did a great job.   I keep thinking about sending my suspension there.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I've been reading up on Bruce Tripplet in  Vortec's thread. I'm leaning towards sending the forks to him and also getting a shock from him. I'll do some searching and reading up on Baja Needle and Gordon Banks. Thanks a bunch for the leads!

I'm slowly reaching the realization that life is short, I like the weight of the bike, it is a 2003 with CA plates, and that it has enough power for now. Spending a few $$$ on the suspension is just what the natural next step is for where I am at the moment. Plus, the process of figuring all this out is not without some degree of entertainment.

To me the most basic question is "Where do I ride/plan on riding, what is REALLY my style of riding (usually not the fantasy of Evel-Knievel-style, 100-foot-high jumps), and how do I want my bike to ride/handle?"  Another important question is "How much maintenance/repair do I expect/want to do (including trail damage to my bike), e.g., crunched radiators, finicky valves, engine rebuilds top and bottom, etc.?"

To those of us who like a Calif.-plated, front-and-rear-suspension-altered, simple, low-maintenance, reliable CRF230F, this here fly on the wall suggests to go to: Dirt Bike > Make/Model Specific > Honda > CRF 230 F/L and read the many relevant posts there.  For example, the riding in Tennessee, Michigan, etc. might not benefit from the same set-ups we want, say, here in our High Sierras and other California mountains.

Note:  Baja Needle is aka bajatrailrider, and visiting his "facility" in Baja is highly recommended for an unmatched chance to "try before you buy" various set-ups.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys! With your help I got in touch with bajatrailrider. He was quick to suggest a visit and I'm planning to head south in 2 weeks. With luck there will be a break in the rain long enough for a suspension lesson and a decent ride. Exactly what I need!

• Like 1

robsandiego,

You know you have to make a sacred pledge to share with us the details of your suspension lesson/ride/impressions after your Baja visit?!

Ok...pleeeezz!!

The best way to sum up the weekend? Go see for yourself. Just go. Stop making excuses and go. Really.

My only complaint was that we didn't ride enough! But that was only because of the timing of things. Larry is a great guy who simply enjoys riding dirt bikes, period. He took us places that were just right for my ability including a few stream crossings, cow pastures and even a stop at the orange grove for a snack. 

I ordered the Fox shock. They don't like to keep them in stock so its going to be a while. And I'm going to send the damper rods to Bruce for the upgrade. 

I'm trying to schedule a return trip in two to three weeks. 

The town is quite small. The hotel in the pic was right in town, clean, and $15 a night. The food in town was great. They even sell beer and ice...a great trip!20170304_163542.jpg20170305_102123.jpg20170305_102139.jpg20170305_123939.jpg

20170305_105615.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, robsandiego said:

The best way to sum up the weekend? Go see for yourself. Just go. Stop making excuses and go. Really.

My only complaint was that we didn't ride enough! But that was only because of the timing of things. Larry is a great guy who simply enjoys riding dirt bikes, period. He took us places that were just right for my ability including a few stream crossings, cow pastures and even a stop at the orange grove for a snack. 

I ordered the Fox shock. They don't like to keep them in stock so its going to be a while. And I'm going to send the damper rods to Bruce for the upgrade. 

I'm trying to schedule a return trip in two to three weeks. 

The town is quite small. The hotel in the pic was right in town, clean, and $15 a night. The food in town was great. They even sell beer and ice...a great trip!20170304_163542.jpg20170305_102123.jpg20170305_102139.jpg20170305_123939.jpg

20170305_105615.jpg

You stay at Jacks Motel. 

Have to say Rob and his Friend just great guys to ride with and hang around. Also Armando on his new Ktm 500. For Rob only started riding a year ago he does well.I took them past many water crossings/hot springs/abandon two track.We never saw anybody and wet dirt.16244236_1838803539734691_666835084_n.jpgIMG_20170305_102241316.jpg   The best part no stinking CA green stickers.

• Like 3

Stevethe.....I found out about Richard needle. In exchange now you are supposed to post a pic of your bike. I hear its kinda cool.