ethanol free gas question

Hey guys question should I drain the gas with ethonal out of my tank and carb before putting the 91 ethonal free gas in. And also what is everyone's take on ethonal free gas vs gas with ethonal in it . Thanks hope to hear some replies soon ??

just mix and run it unless it has been sitting forever. Ethanol free is better, but if you use ethanol gas, buy what you need so it doesn't sit around forever. If you get a lil extra and has sat for awhile, dump it in your car/truck/van..

• Like 4

oh god. here we go again,       All men to battle stations! 

On a serious note, no I don't run ethanol in my KTMS, I use 100LL AVGAS air plane fuel and it works amazing. I'm not gonna sit here and write about all the negatives that stuff has but if you can don't use it. Depending on witch bike you have it may be okay to run it. have fun

• Like 1

Just pour the E-free gas in with the E10 and run it. A little trick to buying ethanol free gas from a normal station pump, run the first half gallon or so into your car/truck to clear the E10 87 octane that everyone has been putting in their cars out of the pump lines before filling your bike gas jug. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Just pour the E-free gas in with the E10 and run it. A little trick to buying ethanol free gas from a normal station pump, run the first half gallon or so into your car/truck to clear the E10 87 octane that everyone has been putting in their cars out of the pump lines before filling your bike gas jug. :thumbsup:

Exactly!

1 hour ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

A little trick to buying ethanol free gas from a normal station pump, run the first half gallon or so into your car/truck to clear the E10 87 octane that everyone has been putting in their cars out of the pump lines before filling your bike gas jug. :thumbsup:

I do the same thing if I'm driving a gasser and filling up my jug for my bike with E10 premium. Doesn't work if you're divin a diesel though...or maybe it actually would cuz a diesel don't much care, but I'm not gonna do it. Not that big of a deal to get a small amount of 87...or whatever.

2 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Funny you mentioned the trick cus I run 94 NON-E in my dirt bike and went to fill up my gas can this morning and almost took a picture of the Chevron gas pump :) and they have a separate hose for the 94 NON-E with a big label saying NON-E the handle is red. Otherwise the E gas hose has a black handle.

When I'm not riding 2 or 3 times a week, I only keep about $10 of gas in the can and only fill the tank enough so I burn most of the gas. Basically I'm not letting the gas still for extended periods of time.

Otherwise to the OP, I would just put in the NON-E and not sure were you live but go out and burn up some gas :)

Throw some K100 treatment in it, stuff is magic. 

I run Ethanol free 91 octane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomTopDog12 said:

oh god. here we go again,       All men to battle stations! 

On a serious note, no I don't run ethanol in my KTMS, I use 100LL AVGAS air plane fuel and it works amazing. I'm not gonna sit here and write about all the negatives that stuff has but if you can don't use it. Depending on witch bike you have it may be okay to run it. have fun

Awesome thanks. The bike I'm on is a crf 250r

1 hour ago, ckny said:

Throw some K100 treatment in it, stuff is magic. 

I run Ethanol free 91 octane.

How do you feel about vp racings madditive which is a octane booster / treatment 

13 hours ago, DEMI said:

just mix and run it unless it has been sitting forever. Ethanol free is better, but if you use ethanol gas, buy what you need so it doesn't sit around forever. If you get a lil extra and has sat for awhile, dump it in your car/truck/van..

Will do thanks for the quick reply!

I have never used the VP.  I use Torco and it definitely works.  I bring it with me on my snowmobile just in case only regular fuel is available. I used to use it in my YZ250 to help with detonation until I had my head done

1 minute ago, ckny said:

I have never used the VP.  I use Torco and it definitely works.  I bring it with me on my snowmobile just in case only regular fuel is available. I used to use it in my YZ250 to help with detonation until I had my head done

Ah I see you add it when only gas with ethonal is available. Unfortunately being in Florida I don't get to ride snowmobiles. They are a blast ! 

12 minutes ago, Jake Brown said:

Ah I see you add it when only gas with ethonal is available. Unfortunately being in Florida I don't get to ride snowmobiles. They are a blast ! 

I use K100 in every machine I run as it's a great fuel stabilizer and conditioner. The Torco is to boost octane as we often ride or sled in rural areas that only have 87 octane pumps. 91 octane is our highest and does not contain ethanol where I live. 87 and 89 do have 10% ethanol. 

How do you know you are REALLY getting E-free fuel?

I've used it several times in my truck and dirt bike.....couldnt tell a bit of difference.

Ethanol isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's been in our gas since the 70s, but has more recently been a topic of conversation, for various reasons. I've got a '69 mustang, that's obviously carbureted and runs mid 9s in the 1/4 that sees only E10, a boat, lawn equipment, 2 dirt bikes, and a quad, that all get E10 because that's all that available here. I've been running it in everything I own forever, without one single issue. Even in a high performance, carbureted engine, and a boat. E10 isn't the devil people make it to be.  

• Like 1

Ethanol isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's been in our gas since the 70s, but has more recently been a topic of conversation, for various reasons. I've got a '69 mustang, that's obviously carbureted and runs mid 9s in the 1/4 that sees only E10, a boat, lawn equipment, 2 dirt bikes, and a quad, that all get E10 because that's all that available here. I've been running it in everything I own forever, without one single issue. Even in a high performance, carbureted engine, and a boat. E10 isn't the devil people make it to be.  

Glad you're having success with E10 but my experiences with it, especially in small engines has been terrible. Heck, even the EPA admits it causes damage if that tells you anything. Do a few google searches yourself and look at the irrefutable evidence. I think it absolutely deserves the terrible reputation it has.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 69fastback said:

Ethanol isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's been in our gas since the 70s, but has more recently been a topic of conversation, for various reasons. I've got a '69 mustang , that's obviously carbureted and runs mid 9s in the 1/4 that sees only E10, a boat, lawn equipment, 2 dirt bikes, and a quad, that all get E10 because that's all that available here. I've been running it in everything I own forever, without one single issue. Even in a high performance, carbureted engine, and a boat. E10 isn't the devil people make it to be.  

Ya I run Ethanol gas in my 1988 Van or any car but for all my motorcycles I NON-E 94 cus I have the option.

I understand Ethanol gas and I'm starting to watch the Daytona 500 an all the run is Ethanol gas BUT from my research the main problem with Ethanol gas is the damage it does to rubber gas lines and rubber carb parts if you let the gas untreated for extended periods of time. I did have a great link to a video from PBS in Oregon about the issues with Ethonal gas and boat motors but unfortunately they removed it. Basically if showed guys cutting open the fuel lines on there boats and the inside of the fuel lines had completely degraded to the point where they needed to completely rebuild the motors.

IMO if you are burning through E gas regularly on bikes etc, there really isn't an issue. If you leave untreated E gas in bikes, etc for extended periods, you should be looking at your gas lines and checking you carbs to ensure rubber o-rings, gaskets are not degrading.

You can google topics and images for Ethanol  issues in bikes, carbs etc but I've seen something similar to this carbs. Im not sure how long E gas sat unused in this carb.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ethanol+carb+build+up&biw=1215&bih=626&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY6Kjlu67SAhXHMGMKHS1pAQAQ_AUIBygA&dpr=1

IMG_1097.jpg

No need to google anything. I hear all the "horror stories" of the people who fail to maintain their equipment. I build my own motors and do my own work. Everything I own has rubber fuel lines, even the mustang. Dirtbikes, chainsaws, weedeaters, 800 horsepower engines, boats.........   with 0 issues. Personal experince > *

for every 1 person that gets on the i ternet to discuss their bad experience, there's 100 that run e10 trouble free.