Hi people,

I know very little on how to do what I want to do regards to putting together a 2nd hand ec 300

I'm making videos to entertain others and myself during the build

Any help would be great in the weeks to come

Here is the link to my 1st episode of the Gas Gas Ec 300 Build Series 

Enjoy 

https://youtu.be/aMTOXVhyikI

20170128_105909.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 10:45 PM, JayStallion said:

Hi people,

I know very little on how to do what I want to do regards to putting together a 2nd hand ec 300

I'm making videos to entertain others and myself during the build

Any help would be great in the weeks to come

Here is the link to my 1st episode of the Gas Gas Ec 300 Build Series 

Enjoy 

https://youtu.be/aMTOXVhyikI

20170128_105909.jpg

Thankyou for posting up!!!!!! Are you spending any time in the gasgasriders forums or gasgas forums here? or any others that have shown gasgas tech videos? There are some others that have done some gasgas mechanic work and put it online.. in case you are interested in more info.. I'm more in the Beta threads..but I still have my 01 300 ec Gasgas. It's a great bike even as old as it is.. it actually was ahead of it's time to me and still a good dirt bike .

Ok when you say from scratch..? You are actually meaning a complete refurbish/overhaul.. not that you are getting parts bit by bit and making a bike... you are just talking about a complete overhaul.. I think. Could you tell us what year bike and what your plan is? What you are going to do with the bike etc?..some background? ..what kind of mods you want to put on? if you are making it stock? or modded? etc... I guess I should watch the whole vid from the start.. I missed some in case you've mentioned that already.

4 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ok when you say from scratch..? You are actually meaning a complete refurbish/overhaul.. not that you are getting parts bit by bit and making a bike... you are just talking about a complete overhaul.. I think. Could you tell us what year bike and what your plan is? What you are going to do with the bike etc?..some background? ..what kind of mods you want to put on? if you are making it stock? or modded? etc... I guess I should watch the whole vid from the start.. I missed some in case you've mentioned that already.

Hi thanks for replying, yes I am also on gas gas forums and they are giving me a lot of advice especially this 1 guy.

What I mean "from scratch" is part by part. Because this is the storey on how I got this bike,

My girlfriends dad bought it from a bloke at work will call him Tim. Tim blew his engine putting oversized piston rings in. Tim stripped the bike down and I mean over the top stripped it down like took parts off that didn't need to be off. Tim got fed up sold it to my girlfriends dad he also got annoyed and boom Xmas present for Jay. Lol.

My plan is to build it back up into a running bike. I will start off stock and mod along depending if I have the ready's. (Money) 

The big problem is I know nothing on how to build a bike what goes where etc. Youtube videos are helping and some people on forums. I'm making videos to entertain myself and if it entertains others then cool all is well.

I hope you can help me through this build series the input of others is uplifting.

Thanks again

Jay

20170225_180947.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JayStallion said:

Hi thanks for replying, yes I am also on gas gas forums and they are giving me a lot of advice especially this 1 guy.

What I mean "from scratch" is part by part. Because this is the storey on how I got this bike,

My girlfriends dad bought it from a bloke at work will call him Tim. Tim blew his engine putting oversized piston rings in. Tim stripped the bike down and I mean over the top stripped it down like took parts off that didn't need to be off. Tim got fed up sold it to my girlfriends dad he also got annoyed and boom Xmas present for Jay. Lol.

My plan is to build it back up into a running bike. I will start off stock and mod along depending if I have the ready's. (Money) 

The big problem is I know nothing on how to build a bike what goes where etc. Youtube videos are helping and some people on forums. I'm making videos to entertain myself and if it entertains others then cool all is well.

I hope you can help me through this build series the input of others is uplifting.

Thanks again

Jay

20170225_180947.jpg

Looks great so far!!!

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

so what year is it??.. Does it look like you are missing parts from who can tell?. what suspension does it have?

It's 2004, not to sure what suspension it is. I would guess stock? I'm finding parts missing throughout the build just little things like screws bolts etc. In episode 3 im changing the fork seals and oil. Not a clue how to do that so any advice on that would be much appreciated.

IMO when I did a full fork rebuild on my used honda 2005 CRF250R that I bought in 2010, I used a Clymer manual, the full service manual and a youtube vid for the make of my forks. I did it in my kitchen with basic stuff but man it was messy ? The fork oil had not been changed in 11 years I'm now doing a fork oil change yearly.

First thing is to find out exactly what forks are on the bike (I think they may be Marzocchi's but you need to confirm)

I would then get a full rebuild kit. If you can't find one, I would take pics of the forks and email them to Marzocchi and see what they say and you could also ask the for info on rebuilding them or at least get the exact model then youtube.

Its always fun restoring old bikes and looks awesome so far

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 3:02 AM, filterx said:

IMO when I did a full fork rebuild on my used honda 2005 CRF250R that I bought in 2010, I used a Clymer manual, the full service manual and a youtube vid for the make of my forks. I did it in my kitchen with basic stuff but man it was messy ? The fork oil had not been changed in 11 years I'm now doing a fork oil change yearly.

First thing is to find out exactly what forks are on the bike (I think they may be Marzocchi's but you need to confirm)

I would then get a full rebuild kit. If you can't find one, I would take pics of the forks and email them to Marzocchi and see what they say and you could also ask the for info on rebuilding them or at least get the exact model then youtube.

Its always fun restoring old bikes and looks awesome so far

Thank you I will do some research on the forks. Here's episode 3 if your interested 

20170315_184309.jpg

• Like 2

What would you guys fit on the bike next?

It has engine,subframe,triple clamp,front and rear suspension.

Carb maybe or air box, radiators. I'm having trouble figuring out what order to do the bike in 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Well the first thing I don't want to see is the carrot being fit into anywhere but that was F&**king funny ?

Then I was going to comment about making sure you where lubing up all the bearing etc but then that just started getting into the carrot.

Otherwise getting the forks sorted, and just putting things back together as needed and you are doing a great job of restoring the bike so just post your vid's

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello there, long time no see. Alot has happened over the years and sadly me completing the gas gas build is not 1 of them.
Luckily though my passion to get the bike done this years is back and in full swing. I dont know if I am carrying on with recording my progress on YouTube as it's hard when I dont know what I'm doing regarding the build of the bike.
I do know how ever I am in need of your guys help once again.
I need help with the wiring loom i have looked at diagrams and think I've figured them out but routing the cable through the bike is throwing me.
My question is.... Is there a particular route i need to follow when placing the wiring loom? Or is it where ever the loom will go without it getting in the way of moving and hot parts?
Good to be back at it
Jay

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayStallion said:

Hello there, long time no see. Alot has happened over the years and sadly me completing the gas gas build is not 1 of them.
Luckily though my passion to get the bike done this years is back and in full swing. I dont know if I am carrying on with recording my progress on YouTube as it's hard when I dont know what I'm doing regarding the build of the bike.
I do know how ever I am in need of your guys help once again.
I need help with the wiring loom i have looked at diagrams and think I've figured them out but routing the cable through the bike is throwing me.
My question is.... Is there a particular route i need to follow when placing the wiring loom? Or is it where ever the loom will go without it getting in the way of moving and hot parts?
Good to be back at it
Jay

I can’t remember that there are any particular concerns when looking at my wiring on my 300 ec. I think it’s pretty much like how you have described. So look at a manual and parts diagrams or look for pics and vids online .. YouTube or whatever for more references if you aren’t as comfortable just installing now. I haven’t done a frame off repaint and totally start from scratch for a bunch of decades now . ..but it wasn’t that hard but you just have to make sure there’s clearance and no binding etc even on non moving parts like under the tank. I did frame off redo and hybrid bikes with my Dad growing up .  It’s not hard but you just take your time to do it right. Of course it’s easier when you remember how things were when you took it apart. You also can look at other guys doing rebuild threads or vids of other brand bikes to see how they are doing their rebuilds to gain insight.  Thanks for posting! Look forward to seeing your project move forward. 

You got a workshop manual right? From here or wherever..

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22634

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Okay so I have replaced the shin brackets A and B in the rear break caliper plus new pin and pads but for some strange reason I can not get the wheel back on. It is like the spacers in the wheel dont allow for the caliper and wheel to fit between the swing arm. It used to fit as I took the wheel off to get to the rear break caliper. I'm so confused please help what am I missing? Is there an easier way? 

On 3/2/2020 at 5:57 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

There are manuals available. There’s all the information you need. The internet is awesome. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+gas+ec+300+manual&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

That's great thanks :)

On 3/2/2020 at 12:13 AM, Piney Woods said:

Good luck Stallion. This thread is a great example of why I will never ever never again buy another bike that does not have a great/complete paper service and owners manual available. And not one that comes off a printer, bound copies.

I know I'm struggling to build it from printed out exploded diagrams of each individual part. It's great because it shows you what's what but not where they go

On 2/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

I can’t remember that there are any particular concerns when looking at my wiring on my 300 ec. I think it’s pretty much like how you have described. So look at a manual and parts diagrams or look for pics and vids online .. YouTube or whatever for more references if you aren’t as comfortable just installing now. I haven’t done a frame off repaint and totally start from scratch for a bunch of decades now . ..but it wasn’t that hard but you just have to make sure there’s clearance and no binding etc even on non moving parts like under the tank. I did frame off redo and hybrid bikes with my Dad growing up .  It’s not hard but you just take your time to do it right. Of course it’s easier when you remember how things were when you took it apart. You also can look at other guys doing rebuild threads or vids of other brand bikes to see how they are doing their rebuilds to gain insight.  Thanks for posting! Look forward to seeing your project move forward. 

You got a workshop manual right? From here or wherever..

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22634

This helped alot but not finding alot of information or vids on gas gas ec 300 2004 model. I'm looking at pics on Google but they are blurry when zoomed in. Thanks for the other info and advice

• Like 1