Buying a used bike on Craigslist

This has been the most tiring process ever. Im so tired of sellers giving me attitude when asking simple questions and sellers not returning emails or messages. Its as if they dont even want to sell their damn bikes.  I tjought it would be pretty simple ( hello im interested in the bike, ask a few questions such as title,owner,top end,valves and haggle the price a little) 

Most of them think their bike is the best one ever and worth 2x (at least) what its actual value is.  There are deals and good bikes out there, you just have to find them.  My youngest son bought a CRF450R 3 years ago, the bike was only a year or so old and he got it for a steal.  The guy that owned it heard how great dirt bikes are, went out and bought one, rode it a few times and didn't like it and it sat.  His wife told him to get rid of it.

• Like 2

This has been the most tiring process ever. Im so tired of sellers giving me attitude when asking simple questions and sellers not returning emails or messages. Its as if they dont even want to sell their damn bikes.  I tjought it would be pretty simple ( hello im interested in the bike, ask a few questions such as title,owner,top end,valves and haggle the price a little) 

Are you voice calling them? No one under 45 wants a voice call.
  • Like 3

So many people flake out or will text you all day long then not show up.

When buying bikes/cars off Craigslist. If in reasonable driving distance, I ask some very basic questions on the phone, then will go look at it. That way they take you MUCH more seriously.

I never talk price unless its a drive to get there and then want to make sure I am not wasting my time if we're not even in the same ball park. But show up with CASH and ask you questions. You'll get a lot better response. And its MUCh harder for them to turn down a lower offer when you pull out $100 bills!!

• Like 5

Here's my two cents on CL: 

Best deals come from lazy sellers. Look for dark/crummy pictures where they were too lazy to even spray off the bike or bring it out of storage in to good light. Look for situations where the seller is "motivated." Nagging wives and bills to pay = good deal. Cruise new listings every few days. Its a hobby. Best time to buy is in the winter, so your time is running a little short. 

Email first. Get the person's cell #, send texts, be direct. Expect them to flake, its at least a 50% chance they will. Bike's a good price? They are willing to meet? Get there quick. 

If you're going by yourself, meet in a public place, not behind Doyle's rural trailer back in the tool shed. Might get whacked with a crowbar. Also, tell someone the address where you're going and what time you're going. Never know what the situation will be like. Best option is to take a buddy.

After looking at the bike, calmly and politely express your concerns. Dirty air filter, weird engine noise, bald tires, needs parts, needs brakes, gonna rebuild the motor, where's the paperwork on the rebuild, the bike is X years old, gonna have to go through it, is that blue smoke coming from a four stroke? Tear it apart. Make it sound like you're on the fence. You might actually be on the fence. Don't be afraid to walk away if its not what you want.

Carry a wad of cash. Make it fat with some 20s, but not too many. Keep the cash in the truck. If/when its time to haggle, whip out your bottom offer wad first, keep cash in increments of 100 folded in different pockets. Fan the cash out in front of the seller, shuffle through and count it. Crinkle it. Smell it. Smile. Don't haggle loudly in front of seller's friends/others present. Talk quietly off to the side. Smile. If/when you pay, count it out on the tailgate in front of the seller.

Bring all the tie downs, loading equipment you'll need, but maybe don't have it completely set up yet. I use a hitch haul. Last bike I bought I didn't hook up the hauler until after the cash was paid, title signed over. 

Scratched serial #'s, missing title for newer bike or road bike, sketchy bike/seller? Say thanks for your time and get outa there.  

CL requires patience, but you gotta be able to strike like a Cobra. Used bikes are a roll of the dice, but that's part of the fun. Good luck! 

• Like 7

Hmm, my experiences have been good.

I start with a text.  If that doesn't work they get a call.  If the guy is unresponsive or acts like a goofball, then I don't pursue it.  If the guy can speak like a relatively mature and intelligent person, then I discuss the bike and price.  I only go for good clean bikes and I'm willing to pay for them.  I don't really put any effort into getting the last $50 or even $100 out of the seller.  If I like the bike and the price is fair, I buy it.  Same with selling.  I only post my real price.  If the guy is way down a scary road and my spidey senses go off, I just go home.

If I got a bunch of questions that suggest that my used bike should be in new condition (which they obviously aren't) and a bunch of irritating questions about price, I'd tell the buyer no thanks.  It's not worth the trouble from the buyer or sellers perspective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrMuffins said:

Here's my two cents on CL: 

Best deals come from lazy sellers. Look for dark/crummy pictures where they were too lazy to even spray off the bike or bring it out of storage in to good light. Look for situations where the seller is "motivated." Nagging wives and bills to pay = good deal. Cruise new listings every few days. Its a hobby. Best time to buy is in the winter, so your time is running a little short. 

Email first. Get the person's cell #, send texts, be direct. Expect them to flake, its at least a 50% chance they will. Bike's a good price? They are willing to meet? Get there quick. 

If you're going by yourself, meet in a public place, not behind Doyle's rural trailer back in the tool shed. Might get whacked with a crowbar. Also, tell someone the address where you're going and what time you're going. Never know what the situation will be like. Best option is to take a buddy.

After looking at the bike, calmly and politely express your concerns. Dirty air filter, weird engine noise, bald tires, needs parts, needs brakes, gonna rebuild the motor, where's the paperwork on the rebuild, the bike is X years old, gonna have to go through it, is that blue smoke coming from a four stroke? Tear it apart. Make it sound like you're on the fence. You might actually be on the fence. Don't be afraid to walk away if its not what you want.

Carry a wad of cash. Make it fat with some 20s, but not too many. Keep the cash in the truck. If/when its time to haggle, whip out your bottom offer wad first, keep cash in increments of 100 folded in different pockets. Fan the cash out in front of the seller, shuffle through and count it. Crinkle it. Smell it. Smile. Don't haggle loudly in front of seller's friends/others present. Talk quietly off to the side. Smile. If/when you pay, count it out on the tailgate in front of the seller.

Bring all the tie downs, loading equipment you'll need, but maybe don't have it completely set up yet. I use a hitch haul. Last bike I bought I didn't hook up the hauler until after the cash was paid, title signed over. 

Scratched serial #'s, missing title for newer bike or road bike, sketchy bike/seller? Say thanks for your time and get outa there.  

CL requires patience, but you gotta be able to strike like a Cobra. Used bikes are a roll of the dice, but that's part of the fun. Good luck! 

Good advice. Thanks for chiming in

• Like 1

know that the good stuff at good prices sells fast. if you find that perfect deal, go get it asap. if you don't, someone else will. spend a little extra $ if you have to.

the crappy deals (poor condition and or over prices) will stick on CL for months.

look closely, don't trust their history stories. 

don't get in a hurry, wait around for that good deal. 

• Like 1

I find you get the most response when you TEXT them first and say something simple like "I saw your ad on C/L and I'm interested in the bike. I have CASH, and a TRUCK to haul it with. When would be a good time to come and pick it up?"   This lets them know you are serious. If they don't respond to that, they have either already sold it, or just too flaky to deal with. This is my litmus test for them. If they don't respond within 24 hours, the bike is already sold usually. If they do respond you need to go look at it as soon as possible. Other people will snatch them up quick if it's a good deal. You can haggle once you look at the bike but NEVER make them a low-ball offer over the phone!!!!! If I have something listed and they call and make a low-ball offer without even coming to see the bike, I know they are wasting my time and generally just hang up on them.

I have had decent luck looking at a bike, making an offer, and if they don't accept right then I'll give them a business card and say the offer stands, call me if you want it gone. I usually get a call within a day or so. I had one guy call me almost 6 months later one time.. He said he got so many flaky callers, and low ball offers, that he just never sold it. When he called me I had forgotten about the bike but went to look at it again and bought it right then. Of course the price seemed good to me at the time but I lost my back-side rebuilding the engine.. and still have it today with way more in it than I can sell it for (like every bike I own!).