2004 KTM 450 Sx Factory Racing Edition

I recently acquired the bike from a trade in which I had maybe $500 in to start with. The guy didn't really know what was wrong with it and I figured even if it were something major, I could still come out good in the end right? I know NOTHING about Ktms besides what research has told me. You're supposed to have a special tool to separate the timing chain in order to remove the head and that my specific bike was built to go from the showroom straight to the race track. Its ALOT DIFFERENT than a regular 450EXC. Different internals, more brute power, and a different gear box and ratio just to name a few. I took it to a friend who owns the local bike shop here and who has been racing for a long time. He got it to run but the top end of the engine was extremely loud. He said it PROBABLY needed a timing chain, tensioner, valves, and the usual new oil, filters, gaskets, etc. Come to learn after they ordered all of that and it shipped, they tore into it and discovered it needed new rod and crank bearings and why not replace the piston and rings too while its apart. So I did my research and looked up parts. Long story short, he said he would do it all for $850 bucks, which by my research is CHEAP. BUT, Idk. I haven't even rode it once yet. I've only ridden one 450 for a short whil. Not even 15mins. Not even long enough to get used to one. I rode it long enough to know that I wanted one for myself to ride for about a month and try to get used to the power and how to ride it the way its supposed to be ridden. My question is... Should I go ahead and put the money into it or try to sell it like it is and recoop some of my investment? And if I do fix it, how do I know that I will ever get to actually see what the bike is capable of? "Do I really need a 450," as the dirt bike channel guy on YouTube says? I just want to ride it once and see if I think I'll be able to keep it a while or if I'll have to sell it to get possibly a 250f or maybe 250 2 stroke. If noone replies or answers this, the chances are that I will end up spending the money to fix it, and either keep it a while or try to advertise it with ZERO hours on brand new engine rebuild along with the other new parts I plan on installing. If I re-sell, it will have all of the engine rebuilt top to bottom, new tires, brakes, seat, etc. He says in tip-top shape and with a title that I don't have, the bike is worth around $3k. How much truth is there to what he says? Honestly just want other opinions on what I should do. My luck, I'll spend the money and won't even get half back out of it....  Need advice. Thank you.   

Truly indecisive, 

TrippyTim 

received_10210806263969775.jpeg

I just bought a new 450SX-F myself and i only rode it for about 45 mins on the bike, That was back in November and i've done a lot of work to it. A few times while working on the bike as it snowed like crazy outside (Canada at it's finest) I asked myself "did i really need to buy this 450?" I'm 17 and 230lbs guy, i'm no light weight, I owned a 350SX-F and loved it, as well as a few 250F's, I ride the woods and a little bit of track year round and i've been in your position. If you've never really gotten on a 450, what have you ridden? and what type of riding do you do? Getting it fixed is nice and all but it's useless if you ride the bike and don't like it/handle it/ work with your riding. Tell me a  bit about your riding and i'll try and help you further, I on the other hand have only ever worked with KTM so I can definitely help you!

let me know. Pm me if you would like.

cheers  

Edited by TomTopDog12

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of trails near my house, Some of them quite difficult. But I am confident in my riding and after a day or two of riding the same bike, I'm pretty well used to it. I wouldn't mind having a 250f or maybe 250 2troke or 300 2stroke but the funds aren't there lol. $850 and the 450 will have a brand new engine. But I've heard there is no tps and that throttle response can be difficult to manage unless wide open. Not sure but either way i plan on fixing it n riding it for a while. In the end, I'll probably sell it to buy a slightly smaller bike. Who knows, I would love a super moto as well ?