Extra/Missing Dowel pin after Engine rebuild ----

So I just finished rebuilding the DRZ with a 434 kit and those WIDE RATIO gears. And I have a dowel pin left over!!! I pulled a good portion of the engine apart to look for all the dowel pins, and all (that I can think of) have been verified in place except for the crank case halves. Here is what I just checked, perhaps some one out there will know another place to check for pins? Also, if it does turn out to be for the case half, how necessary is that? Are they just to help with alignment on install or do they provide stability when the engine is torqued? The pin measures 0.469" long X 0.431" OD (See Pic).  If you have any other ideas on where to check let me know.  Here is what I just verified:

- Cam Shaft cover pins (4) - Check

- Head to Cylinder pins (2) - Check

-Cylinder to case pins (2) - Check

- Right side case cover pins (2) - Check

- Stator cover pins (2) - Check

- Starter torque limiter bushings (2) - Check

Pin.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure you didn't get a part from the outside of the engine mixed with the spacers from like a skid plate or something?

Yep, built the engine in an upstairs bedroom, no other moto parts around. Thanks for checking though.

Actually I checked those bushings, they are the starter torque limiter bushings. The only place left to check (that I can think of) is between the case halves. Hoping to not have to tear the whole thing apart again....

The case halve pins are bigger than the rest IIRC , the side covers are 10mm (.3916) , that pins in 11mm OD . x 12mm long . I don't have any of those to compare and verify though . I'm not sure if the pins are only for alignment , which is important , but I would think they provide support so the bolts don't hold everything on their own.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

looks like it may be one of the two bushings from the oil line. 

one should be on top where it connects to frame & one on bottom where it connects to motor.

o ring@  both ends also

• Like 3

Perfect.  I just woke up with that in my head.  1 used on each end of the pipe.

• Like 1

GOT IT! It is in fact the bushing for the oil line in the motor. Thanks ROUNDEYEHELMETHEAD.

We are now clear for take off!

• Like 1