Modern dual sports, is something wrong with me?

I own dual sports because of the convenience of riding to the trails. Because I live in California I own a Suzuki DRZ 400 and DR 350 because they are the cheapest options in this dual sport restrictive state. I want to buy a beta 390 rr simply because I would like a lighter more peppy bike, however, I find it difficult to justify the 10 grand. The reason is not just because 10 grand is a lot of money, but two of the guys I often ride with own KTM 500 exc.  We never race the track but often ride mountain fire trails and narrow trails with occasional steep climbs.  My bikes with the typical carb and exhaust mods will go everywhere their bikes go and just as fast, and sometimes they can keep up with me.  When I ride the KTM's I find the vibration of the engine and stock suspension bouncing me around wares me out as fast as throwing around the weight of the DR's.  Because the KTM's have so much power I ride them with the throttle one quarter to half open on the dirt trails, anything more will throw you off the trail, for the DR's, half to wide open brings the same thrill.  Often I am more than happy to switch back to my old DR's after putting miles on the KTM's.  Is something wrong with me to not enjoy modern technology like others do, or do I just need to spend more time on a lighter more powerful bike to really learn to appreciate what they offer.  I want the Beta, I'm just not sure if its worth it.  Has anyone with similar experience resolved this?

IMG_4414.jpg

• Like 4

I got a KTM 350 exc - have you tried that one? It's lighter and more peppy I think. And my own experience is "it's hard to crash". The 500 is way more power - but for me I got plenty. I think it's more than I need but handling is a dream at least compared to my old kawasaki klx 250s. I would say try the 350 exc - it just might be exactly what you looking for.

I never heard of AJP so I checked them out, very interesting platform but they lack dual sports, however if I were an adventure rider the PR 7 looks tempting.  I almost bought a used 2014 KTM 350 last year with 1700 miles, I sort of wish I did.  You may be right, the KTM 350 might be a better choice than the Beta but I am still left with the question, is it worth it.  Perhaps renting a Beta or KTM 350 for a day might be the only way to figure this out.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:01 PM, JAM.22 said:

I own dual sports because of the convenience of riding to the trails. Because I live in California I own a Suzuki DRZ 400 and DR 350 because they are the cheapest options in this dual sport restrictive state. I want to buy a beta 390 rr simply because I would like a lighter more peppy bike, however, I find it difficult to justify the 10 grand. The reason is not just because 10 grand is a lot of money, but two of the guys I often ride with own KTM 500 exc.  We never race the track but often ride mountain fire trails and narrow trails with occasional steep climbs.  My bikes with the typical carb and exhaust mods will go everywhere their bikes go and just as fast, and sometimes they can keep up with me.  When I ride the KTM's I find the vibration of the engine and stock suspension bouncing me around wares me out as fast as throwing around the weight of the DR's.  Because the KTM's have so much power I ride them with the throttle one quarter to half open on the dirt trails, anything more will throw you off the trail, for the DR's, half to wide open brings the same thrill.  Often I am more than happy to switch back to my old DR's after putting miles on the KTM's.  Is something wrong with me to not enjoy modern technology like others do, or do I just need to spend more time on a lighter more powerful bike to really learn to appreciate what they offer.  I want the Beta, I'm just not sure if its worth it.  Has anyone with similar experience resolved this?

It all depends on what your goals are for riding. Do you want to ride some gnarly slow tech stuff? Do you want to punch over logs and vertical rock faces that are taller than your axle? Do you want to work at improving your riding? If so, the newer bikes will do you well. If not, you might be just fine on the old dizzer. Suspension may not be setup correctly for you (or your buddy for that matter) which is why you're getting bounced around. I don't have any vibration issue on my husky. I will say that it is much lighter, much more powerful and more aggressive of a ride.

You should probably spend some more time on newer bikes and get a feel for them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, JAM.22 said:

IMG_4414.jpg

Yes, there is something wrong with you. 

* end of thread *

• Like 2

Ride whatever you like. If you're looking for the fastest machine capability wise then the beta or Ktm will have that easily won once you adjust to it and have it setup for you.But if you like and prefer your dr why not keep riding it? I have a old xr250 that puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, in fact I think I'd had my best ride ever on that. I mostly ride my newer machines, and can certainly be faster on them, but really it's all about what makes you happy. 

• Like 3

the beta 390 is the modern day DRZ400.  I spoke with one of the owners of Moore an Sons and he owns a 390RR-S.  He keeps telling my how much he loves it.  The Long stroke of the 390 makes it very luggable and if you do your research of the 390 or any of the RR-S line, it is pretty much a slam dunk between the KTM.  More features, less choked up like the KTM.  It comes with a trail tech GPS speedo and whatever.  

Buy the 500 RR-S instead, it is the same price between the 350-500 line

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, JAM.22 said:

IMG_4414.jpg

Sounds like you've made the case for saving $10,000 and being quite content.  Subject resolved.  Close the thread.

Why are you looking for others to convince you otherwise ? :excuseme:

• Like 3

As a previous owner of both a 98 DR350se and a DRZ400s, after buying a KTM for myself, then a second one for the wife, we wished we woukd have done it sooner. Definitely overkill how ride, forest trails, gravel roads, mild trails. AND we were happy on our Suzuki's. But dang, are we happy now. I'm on a 500exc, she on a 350exc. 

• Like 1

If you’re content then save the money. It isn’t about what you ride , it’s THAT you ride and how much enjoyment you get from riding. I sold my DRZ and bought a Beta 500 RR-S this past summer. Have only ridden it on dual sport rides and what you would consider fire roads. My conclusion is that I would have enjoyed my rides just as much in the DRZ. It is easier to load in the pickup tho due to less weight. 2019 I’ll ride a lot more single track so I’m sure I’ll enjoy the increased power and weight savings , but the $$$$ savings in keeping the DRZ cannot be disregarded.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1