2017 690 enduro r

Just picked up my first KTM. Been riding Honda and Kawasaki 250 2 strokes (my whole life)and a 2012 kx450f recently.   I just picked up a KTM, 690 R and havent had a chance to ride it yet. (Its freezin in Michigan)

Any issues I should be aware of?(read about rocker arms and such)imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54

Any must have Add Ons?

Anything should be changed or inspected for known issues?  (Will it burn oil?)

Whats the first upgrade you would add to your bike?(if it were yours)

It will mostly be rode on road with some 2 track/sandy trails and an occasional MX track.  

20170304_172801.jpg

Edited by Detroit
Misspelling
  • Like 3

If you don't have the proper size tools for wheel axles get them- mine are Motion Pro alum hex and spoon.  To ease the pain on tire changes I carry- Baja no pinch, tubes and tools in a Giant Loop Mojavi bag set up.  A small enduro tankbag I find is worth having- I have Wolfman.  You might consider a rear rack or just a back pack- I have both I don't remember where I got the rack from- Kreiga makes my pack.  For week long outings I use the Touratech side racks with Wolfman Expedition bags.  A skid plate will save your engine from rocks and boulders- I have Flatland Racing there are better one out there.  Sturdy handguards- I have Highway Dirt Bike versions.  To make sitting less taxing I have- Seat Concepts.  What you spring for first is a matter of taste and convenience.  Enjoy the bike I like mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Detroit said:

Just picked up my first KTM. Been riding Honda and Kawasaki 250 2 strokes (my whole life)and a 2012 kx450f recently.   I just picked up a KTM, 690 R and havent had a chance to ride it yet. (Its freezin in Michigan)

Any issues I should be aware of?(read about rocker arms and such)imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54

Any must have Add Ons?

Anything should be changed or inspected for known issues?  (Will it burn oil?)

Whats the first upgrade you would add to your bike?(if it were yours)

It will mostly be rode on road with some 2 track/sandy trails and an occasional MX track.  imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54

20170304_172801.jpg

Congratulations on your new bike. I think rocker issues are pre 2015 bikes. I hear some use oil but mines been good. Some, mine included, had issues with dirty air sneaking into the airbox.

I bought my 2014 used with a skid plate and FMF pipe. I added Doubletake mirrors, Wolfman Enduro bag, Tusk rack. MSR tailpac, Ram GPS mount, KTM foam air filter, Ram GPS mount, Cycra handguards and maybe a few other things. Mods are about making it work for you! ?

Some good info in these threads.

Congrats on the new bike. After having the bike for 6,000. What think is important is carrying a pump and bring the tire pressure down when you ride off road. my tire would deflect really bad when i would ride in the creek. Checked my PSI and it was 25 PSI. Drop it down to 18 PSI when you ride off road and bring it up to 23 for on road. it makes a big difference. Just my 2 cents. Best mod on this bike is a 12V charger to connect you phone and other stuff.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The best mod I have made to my bike so far is the Rottweiler intake system. It really makes the bike come alive and is much better sealing than the stock airbox. A Cleanspeed brake pedal for assurance and the KTM off road dongle so you can take the ABS off the rear so you can lock up the rear brake and slide the rear end around.

Edited by Brilloman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 8:43 PM, Motocopter said:

Have you gotten the 690 dirty yet @Detroit?

Not yet.  I did pull off road but realized it was to wet.  And had a heck of a time turning the bike around in a small radius.  The bike is tall even tho I'm a tall guy. The seat keeps me able to only reach with 1 foot or both tip of my toes touching the ground.  

2 hours ago, Motocopter said:

Same here. Had to fiddle with spring preloads and forks-in-the-clamps positioning to squat the bike about 2 inches. Still have had two tip-overs off-pavement--same thing with the WRF. I have been able to get a foot down and do a quick spin to get turned around.

I haven't learned the foot down quick spin around yet.  It would be useful.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:14 PM, MotoX178 said:

It is common for the stock exhaust to melt the rear turn signal during slow technical riding.  The stock can is a catalytic convertor and can get very very hot.  The Wings slip on is a popular option and great performance for the money, saves a few pounds as well.

I hope to find the time this weekend to install Moose Heat shielding in key areas on my 690 Enduro R and my buds 701 Enduro. It's foil coated fiberglass cloth. I've used it on other projects on the stuff is very nice. Tough and as long as the surface is clean, it stick very, very well.

701 turn signal comes from Husky with something similar installed. 

moose-racing-heat-shield.jpg

• Like 1