Coolant leak- Not typical weep hole

Hey Guys!

I originally was seeing coolant dripping out of the weep hole so figured I would tackle that job.  Got a water pump rebuild kit with new seals and water pump gasket (Hot Rods), along with a crank case gasket.

Install of new seals were fine, impeller shaft seemed OK, smoothed it out a bit with some fine sand paper.

Upon starting the bike, I see coolant leaking from the crank case gasket (shown below).  

I pulled the case off, to ensure that the gasket was not moving or for some reason the case was improperly torqued down.  Put it all back together and I didn't even have to start the bike, it started leaking coolant from the same spot when pinching the coolant hose that goes to the water pump.

Any ideas?!

yz250 coolant sleak.jpg

if it makes a difference, I purchased a genuine Yamaha crankcase gasket (dark grey/black)

Any chance you left some old gasket material on either side of the case?

Cases smooth, flat, and not warped? You could probably get away with some gasket material from a tube. Let it set for XXX hours, then fill it back up with coolant. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gary YZDOC said:

Any chance you left some old gasket material on either side of the case?

Cases smooth, flat, and not warped? You could probably get away with some gasket material from a tube. Let it set for XXX hours, then fill it back up with coolant. 

thanks for the response.

I made sure gasket surface was clean and dry. Don't think they are warped (didn't leak at the same spot prior to changing out the water pump seals).

I was thinking of dressing up the gasket with permanent anaerobic gasket maker and seeing if that works.

Also, the old gasket was a green/thicker/paper gasket that was not as thin as the OEM Yamaha gasket.  Hmm.. maybe the case is a little warped?

Green gasket is from Wiseco kits Cometic ProX I believe. And the only way it would leak is if it has a warp, or has been forced open with a wedge (screwdriver, chisel, etc.)