I'm and intermediate rider who rides very aggressively and on hard, but fast-paced woods/cross-country/harescramble riding. Sometimes I'll do technical, really tight trails, log crossings, and hillclimbs, etc. and I also will ride motocross tracks every once in a while. I currently own a 2008 KTM 250 XC-F with a bigger rear sprocket, FMF exhaust, aftermarket piston, and I typically run high octane fuel. I won't be upgrading for quite a while but I am planning ahead trying to decide what to save up for and all that. I'm sure this forum will also help others in similar situations. I'd like something that can top out faster than my bike but something that can accelerate quickly and have more torque as well. The majority of my riding is very fast-paced woods with hard corners and lots of roots and steep hills as well, so I'd like something that can blow through corners and accelerate quickly. But, I also ride a lot of tight technical trails so I'd like something that's torquey and has explosive, yet controllable power and something I can take over big logs and rocks. I'm fine with a bike that likes to be revved a lot as that's what I do on my 250xcf now. I'm used to four strokes although I'll probably adjust to a two stroke very quickly as I ride constantly. I'm leaning towards a 250 XC or a 350 XC-F although I've heard lots about KTM's 125 and 150 2 strokes, the 450 and 500, the wide ratio "w" models of the cross country bikes, and their respective motocross models just because I know how explosive they are. I understand that this is a lot to ask out of one bike but I'm going to be adding a lot of aftermarket parts to whatever I end up getting if it doesn't already have any. Tell me all about these bikes if any of you guys have ridden them! I'm probably going KTM because I've heard nothing but good things about them but I will still consider any other brands as well. Tell me any aftermarket you had to do, improvements to be done or downfalls of each bike, and all their advantages and things they're better at than the other ones if you've ridden more than one of these. This is more of a harescramble/cross-country racing post, but since some of my races have parts of motocross tracks I'd like to hear how they do on the track. Also, money isn't too huge of a concern with me but I will definitely not be able to get a brand new bike. I will be racing so if it's bigger than a 250 then I'll have to be sure that it can compete with bigger bikes. Thanks, in advance!

Edited by Bubba768
Fix

If I were you, I would go an get myself a 350 XCF. For you, I believe its better than a 250 XC, the 2 stroke learning curve coming off a 4 stroke is a little challenging. You have to change how you ride because the bikes are very different. 350 has more grunt than the 250 4t, but isn't crazy powerful like a 450/500. Lots of people love their 350 in the woods and it can revs really high so you can stay in the same gear longer. For model year, the new 2017's have Air Forks and a different frame (seemingly better but idk). The 2 stroke for 2017 are much much better engine wise, vibrate much less, just as tunable as the previous years, mikuni carb is kinda on the fence (many other people seem ok with it after ironing out the other problems that the bike has). Also don't rule out a 300 2 stroke, people often refer to it to having 4 stroke linear power that is nearly impossible to stall and can compete with any other 450/500. Has the same HP as the 250, just more torque in the low end. My next bike that I will get will be a brand new 2017+ 250 XC whenever I save up the money to buy it outright. Riding a KTM 200 XC right now its sweet for the woods, but desert or fast fields I get worked because of HP difference. Enjoy looking at new bikes! It's almost as fun as to look for a new bike as it is to ride. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lahms said:

If I were you, I would go an get myself a 350 XCF. For you, I believe its better than a 250 XC, the 2 stroke learning curve coming off a 4 stroke is a little challenging. You have to change how you ride because the bikes are very different. 350 has more grunt than the 250 4t, but isn't crazy powerful like a 450/500. Lots of people love their 350 in the woods and it can revs really high so you can stay in the same gear longer. For model year, the new 2017's have Air Forks and a different frame (seemingly better but idk). The 2 stroke for 2017 are much much better engine wise, vibrate much less, just as tunable as the previous years, mikuni carb is kinda on the fence (many other people seem ok with it after ironing out the other problems that the bike has). Also don't rule out a 300 2 stroke, people often refer to it to having 4 stroke linear power that is nearly impossible to stall and can compete with any other 450/500. Has the same HP as the 250, just more torque in the low end. My next bike that I will get will be a brand new 2017+ 250 XC whenever I save up the money to buy it outright. Riding a KTM 200 XC right now its sweet for the woods, but desert or fast fields I get worked because of HP difference. Enjoy looking at new bikes! It's almost as fun as to look for a new bike as it is to ride. 

Yeah I was on the fence mainly between a 250 XC and a 350 XC-F anyways and I'm still not sure as I'll be riding constantly. I imagine I'd get used to the 250 quickly because I'm looking for something very fast and snappy and I already ride very high in the RPMs and I'll be on it all the time. Although I have heard lots and lots of good news about the 350.

Riding on the pipe on a 250 is kinda hard, same on a 300. What I like though on the 2 stroke bikes is you can get really low in the RPMs (if your bike is jetted right) without stalling it. You get out of shape and slow way down, the bike will try to stay alive a little longer. Enough time to get on the clutch. My 200 is excellent when I go really slow or really fast.

Get a 350. You could probably learn how to ride a two stroke well, but well enough to race against four strokes..that takes time

Personally, I say ride a 2 stroke.. See if you like it. You might surprise yourself how much you actually like it. The more i spend my time around these forums the more I think I really need 3 bikes. One two stroke for MX, One 450 for MX, and a 2 smoker for trails..

Yeah, I will never see the track. But would like to have 2 bikes. One for slower trail riding and one for faster. I have a 200, and would like a 250

• Like 1