Parents need convincing

So this is heard on here a lot, but I need to convince my parents to let me get a street legal bike. I'm only 15 but I have always wanted to ride on the road, but I already ride dirtbikes. I have been saving up money to either convert my bike to a supermoto or straight up get another bike and convert, I'm also open to getting a street bike too. I live in a medium sized city and can't convince my parents to let me get a bike or convert ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP THANKSSSSSSS

Edited by Doug Elliott

Do you plan to take it to the track? You are a few years from a drivers license so other than the track you would be asking for trouble.

So this is heard on here a lot, but I need to convince my parents to let me get a street legal bike. I'm only 15 but I have always wanted to ride on the road, but I already ride dirtbikes. I have been saving up money to either convert my bike to a supermoto or straight up get another bike and convert, I'm also open to getting a street bike too. I live in a medium sized city and can't convince my parents to let me get a bike or convert ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP THANKSSSSSSS

Get at least a year of driving in a car and learning to predict traffic movements before you start riding your bike on the street. It's really a very short time, even though it seems like forever when you're young. Tell your parents that's your plan and they'll think it's very mature and a good compromise. That's what I did at your age, was on the street bike at dawn on my 17th birthday. Good luck!

You'll put your eye out!

You are fighting a losing battle.  I tried to fight that battle when I was your age and lost miserably.  I did eventually get a street bike....at age 27.

2 hours ago, Doug Elliott said:

So this is heard on here a lot, but I need to convince my parents to let me get a street legal bike. I'm only 15 but I have always wanted to ride on the road, but I already ride dirtbikes. I have been saving up money to either convert my bike to a supermoto or straight up get another bike and convert, I'm also open to getting a street bike too. I live in a medium sized city and can't convince my parents to let me get a bike or convert ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP THANKSSSSSSS

Tell them you'll gladly sign the paperwork needed so you can be used as an organ donor when you get your license.   Then it won't seem like you're making this choice without thinking of others or the possible consequences.

Tell them you'll gladly sign the paperwork needed so you can be used as an organ donor when you get your license.   Then it won't seem like you're making this choice without thinking of others or the possible consequences.

I went one step further and donated my body to science.(My organs probably aren't worth using)
3 hours ago, Doug Elliott said:

So this is heard on here a lot, but I need to convince my parents to let me get a street legal bike. I'm only 15 but I have always wanted to ride on the road, but I already ride dirtbikes. I have been saving up money to either convert my bike to a supermoto or straight up get another bike and convert, I'm also open to getting a street bike too. I live in a medium sized city and can't convince my parents to let me get a bike or convert ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP THANKSSSSSSS

the Dirt is MUCH Safer then the Street my Young Friend. :)

3 hours ago, Doug Elliott said:

So this is heard on here a lot, but I need to convince my parents to let me get a street legal bike. I'm only 15 but I have always wanted to ride on the road, but I already ride dirtbikes. I have been saving up money to either convert my bike to a supermoto or straight up get another bike and convert, I'm also open to getting a street bike too. I live in a medium sized city and can't convince my parents to let me get a bike or convert ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP THANKSSSSSSS

Do: learn to drive a cage first. 

Do: really learn the road rules

Do: take a defensive driving class

Should take at least 3 years on the road... sorry.

Dont: think you're top shit and ready for anything because you ride dirt

Dont: be complacent about where the cages are

Dont: break the law in built up areas. Concrete and bitumen tend to be unforgiving. 

 

Its a very fun hobby. But probably about as dangerous as the ww1 trenches were for a 15 year old. They REALLY are trying to kill you.

2 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:


Get at least a year of driving in a car and learning to predict traffic movements before you start riding your bike on the street. It's really a very short time, even though it seems like forever when you're young. Tell your parents that's your plan and they'll think it's very mature and a good compromise. That's what I did at your age, was on the street bike at dawn on my 17th birthday. Good luck!

Wise choice.

You make mistakes as a new driver, you make mistakes as a new rider.

Both can end up in a flatter rider, or one that ends a ride in more pieces than they started it, or spread out further than they were when they started, or smashed to a pulp  more than they started. You get the idea haha.

Lol.

Maybe look into taking a Motorcycle Safety course?  Check into your states insurance requirement too, see what it's gonna cost you.  We had MC training along with drivers ed in high school, local bike dealers donated bikes.

On March 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM, highmarker said:

Maybe look into taking a Motorcycle Safety course?  Check into your states insurance requirement too, see what it's gonna cost you.  We had MC training along with drivers ed in high school, local bike dealers donated bikes.

Hmmmm. That's actually not a bad idea I should find out if you can get drivers ED and/or a motorcycle course. Thanks

On March 8, 2017 at 10:46 PM, BushPig said:

Do: learn to drive a cage first. 

Do: really learn the road rules

Do: take a defensive driving class

Should take at least 3 years on the road... sorry.

Dont: think you're top shit and ready for anything because you ride dirt

Dont: be complacent about where the cages are

Dont: break the law in built up areas. Concrete and bitumen tend to be unforgiving. 

 

Its a very fun hobby. But probably about as dangerous as the ww1 trenches were for a 15 year old. They REALLY are trying to kill you.

Haha probably is, but I'm not driving yet, I'm secretly saving up for a new bike or a conversion kit for my bike for when I DO get my license. My grandpa is gung-ho for bikes and said he would ride with me if I got one... Might get my dad on my side.

On March 8, 2017 at 10:06 PM, oneTRICKYZ250 said:

the Dirt is MUCH Safer then the Street my Young Friend. :)

I know all the dangers of riding, and the stats but the stats mostly show death motorcycle vs car ratio, not reason. Most deaths happen in the wrong calculation of a turn, hitting a fixed object and of course driving impaired. I have my grandpa and my dad's best friend on my side as well as my step-grandpa. I would honestly rather die at 25  and die having more of an enjoyable life then dying at 55 and having a boring hell-ish life, then again I'm still young and stupid:rolleyes::ride:

On March 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM, MentalGuru said:

Tell them you'll gladly sign the paperwork needed so you can be used as an organ donor when you get your license.   Then it won't seem like you're making this choice without thinking of others or the possible consequences.

I should do this and see that they say...

On March 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM, HeavyRotation said:


Get at least a year of driving in a car and learning to predict traffic movements before you start riding your bike on the street. It's really a very short time, even though it seems like forever when you're young. Tell your parents that's your plan and they'll think it's very mature and a good compromise. That's what I did at your age, was on the street bike at dawn on my 17th birthday. Good luck!

VERY GOOD IDEA WILL DO THANKS!!!

On March 8, 2017 at 7:43 PM, bodge said:

Do you plan to take it to the track? You are a few years from a drivers license so other than the track you would be asking for trouble.

I'm not going to ride it on the street right now, I'm trying to fight the battle now so I don't have to fight it later and wait longer. Also no tracks around me :(

 

51 minutes ago, Doug Elliott said:

I'm not going to ride it on the street right now, I'm trying to fight the battle now so I don't have to fight it later and wait longer. Also no tracks around me :(

 

Buy a small pickup to drive and haul your dirt bike around.  There are tons of great riding areas in BC.  Are you any where kinda close to McNutt by chance?

My parents were the same way. I ended up having to wait until I was 18 to get my first street bike. I know, at 15, having to wait another 2+ years seems like foreeeever, but it's not. Get your car license and some experience on the road, then go for a bike. Living in a "medium size city", you have a lot to learn to survive riding on the street there. Lol, I've been riding for over 30 years and still don't like riding in town, have to constantly watch out for, and dodge, brain dead drivers.

1 hour ago, MentalGuru said:

Buy a small pickup to drive and haul your dirt bike around.  There are tons of great riding areas in BC.  Are you any where kinda close to McNutt by chance?

Nope, I'm in Vancouver it might be close but I've never heard of it. By tracks I meant like Supermoto tracks. Also I have a deal with my dad where i have to pay for half of what our truck is worth: and it's mine. Also closest nice riding area is a 1.5-2 hour drive away:foul:

12 hours ago, Doug Elliott said:

know all the dangers of riding, and the stats but the stats mostly show death motorcycle vs car ratio, not reason. Most deaths happen in the wrong calculation of a turn, hitting a fixed object and of course driving impaired. I have my grandpa and my dad's best friend on my side as well as my step-grandpa. I would honestly rather die at 25  and die having more of an enjoyable life then dying at 55 and having a boring hell-ish life, then again I'm still young and stupid:rolleyes::ride:

I'm almost 55 & have had an Awesome Fun Life & can still ride with the best of them, Experience is the BEST Teacher.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now