1987 or 1988 RM250 ? Coolant in oil? Water pump seals, bearings

I have this RM 250 two stroke, I've determined it's 87 or 88 I can't tell which one exactly, I know they are similar. What is the difference in the 1987 and 1988 RM250 models?? I will be restoring it thanks!

Pulled the oil drain plug and there was a lot of coolant in the oil. Lol what could that be head gasket or water pump?

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

Edited by Motoxxx158
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

Ones the impeller shaft goes threw . You'll see if you pull right side case cover off. Probably 2or 3 of them not sure on that engine. 

What seals and how to replace seals and the 2 little bearings? 

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

Edited by Motoxxx158

18 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

What seals and how to replace seals and the 2 little bearings? 

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

The middle one on the cover pic. Flip over take the rest apart.  Looks like just one bearing in the cover. Make sure you take pic of seal or wait till get new one. It may be one directional.  Did one of those couple years ago trying to remember  done so many.  The shaft with the notch is waterpump tho. That comes out then can replace seal and bearing if needed

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

The middle one on the cover pic. Flip over take the rest apart.  Looks like just one bearing in the cover. Make sure you take pic of seal or wait till get new one. It may be one directional.  Did one of those couple years ago trying to remember  done so many.  The shaft with the notch is waterpump tho. That comes out then can replace seal and bearing if needed

Ok so I have to remove the clutch, so the water pump shaft can come out and I replace seals, bearing?

And here is a pic of the side cover flipped over with the water pump cover removed. And the other side showing the 2 bearings inside.

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

Edited by Motoxxx158
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

Ok so I have to remove the clutch, so the water pump shaft can come out and I replace seals, bearing?

And here is a pic of the side cover flipped over with the water pump cover removed.

IMG_3793.JPG

No lol it's all right there in the cover either that impeller screws off or on the back side there's a clip or something so shaft comes out. If you look at motorsport.com or rmmc can will show diagram of it I'm sure. .

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

No lol it's all right there in the cover either that impeller screws off or on the back side there's a clip or something so shaft comes out. 

Oh ok there is a little clip I will remove with some snap ring pliers. I believe I was referring to the crank seal which is behind the gear for the water pump. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Lol

IMG_3795.JPG

Edited by Motoxxx158

15 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

And here is a pic of the side cover flipped over with the water pump cover removed. And the other side showing the 2 bearings inside.

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

Yep that clip then tap/pull threw 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

Oh ok there is a little clip I will remove with some snap ring pliers. I believe I was referring to the crank seal which is behind the gear for the water pump. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Lol

Crank seal won't put coolant in tranny tho ? it will fix it order the bearing and the seal . May be 2 bearings in there cant remember 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Crank seal won't put coolant in tranny tho ? it will fix it order the bearing and the seal . May be 2 bearings in there cant remember 

Ok what is the other bearing for? There is a gear that sits on the other bearing that I removed and set aside. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

Ok what is the other bearing for? There is a gear that sits on the other bearing that I removed and set aside. 

Don't worry about them that's for your powervalve I think you mean.what you need to replace is in the cover. Seal/bearing. I use flat punch to drive seal/bearing out but do at your own risk. Maybe have someone help you if you not sure

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Don't worry about them that's for your powervalve I think you mean.what you need to replace is in the cover. Seal/bearing. I use flat punch to drive seal/bearing out but do at your own risk. Maybe have someone help you if you not sure

Ok I understand. I'm looking on eBay trying to find the bearing and seal not having any luck. Where can I find the bearing and seal? 

Edited by Motoxxx158

14 minutes ago, Motoxxx158 said:

Ok I understand. I'm looking on eBay trying to find the bearing and seal not having any luck. Where can I find the bearing and seal? 

Try oem Suzuki parts maybe . Get 2 then if mess one up putting in you'll have spare. Just be careful and I'm sure you can do it ? probably video somewhere that may help.You're on right track now tho

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I got the new bearings in and I finally got the 2 seals but I don't remember which way they went so I looked at the oem picture and put the smaller one in first then the thicker one and I put them flat side down. I found pink slip and it's a 87

On 3/9/2017 at 7:41 PM, Motox367 said:

Try oem Suzuki parts maybe . Get 2 then if mess one up putting in you'll have spare. Just be careful and I'm sure you can do it ? probably video somewhere that may help.You're on right track now tho

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

Edited by Motoxxx158

• 2 weeks later...