Chip in V-Force 3 reed, Help, Urgent!

Hi guys, i swapped my te450 for an 09 wr300 a couple days ago and i have a ride on tomorrow. i stripped the bike down to check and make sure everything was ok and found a tiny chip on one of the outside carbon fibre reed petals, my guess is its been chipped for a while as the bloke i bought it off had owned it for 2 years and never done engine work on it. The bike has roughly 3000kms and 100 hours and I'm planning on doing a top end and maybe a bottom end if it needs it. I am going to buy new reed petals asap but its the weekend and no shops have them. I am planning on riding the bike tomorrow as its a ride i don't want to miss but i wondering, The two outside petals show a bit of damage but the inside ones are immaculate. Are all 4 reeds relied on as much as each other or are the outer ones used more? I have the petals out at the moment and i am thinking of swapping the inner and outer petals just for this one ride. What are your opinions on this? 

I have attached a pic which shows the outside petals (On the TOP) and the inside petals (ON the BOTTOM)  and a close up of the chipped petal. The bike seems to have full power.

20170311_093021.jpg

20170311_093026.jpg

20170311_093032.jpg

From the pictures it is not only one reed pedal. I would not ride till they are replaced. Why take the risk to any damage to the motor. Call Mototassiari......

They were the same (almost) you won't notice till its pop pop or loss of power try bending them out 2ml be careful

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tzr2503xv said:

They were the same (almost) you won't notice till its pop pop or loss of power try bending them out 2ml be careful

Thanks for your help bud, which ones should i try bending out? the chipped ones or the good ones?

Wouldn't be comfortable putting that damaged Reed back in. As soon as it breaks off enough to not seal on the cage it won't start without a fight, or may not run at all. I've seen reeds that looked better than that in engines that would not kick start.

Just now, HappyAndy said:

Wouldn't be comfortable putting that damaged Reed back in. As soon as it breaks off enough to not seal on the cage it won't start without a fight, or may not run at all. I've seen reeds that looked better than that in engines that would not kick start.

Really? this thing has compression and starts in 4-5 kicks

Reed valves are check valves.

Broken reeds don't have a lot of effect on compression, but if the the reeds don't seal on the cage the mixture blows back out the carb instead of up through the transfer ports and into the chamber.   You may get fuel into the chamber, and it will spit and sputter, but won't idle.

before i switched them around i could see a big gap looking the the petals while they are on the cage and now I've switched them around and the gap is 1/4 of the size. I am going to risk it and go riding tomorrow 

If there chipped you're going to need new letting air past you need good seal if there just misaligned bend

I hope your ride goes well. I'll be changing a catalytic converter on a crusty old Nissan tomorrow, possibly in freezing temps. If I had the choice I'd rather go riding on a questionable bike too.

FWIW, I've seen an old timer make a reed for an air cooled KDX out of an aluminum beer can and scissors out in the field. I don't know how well it worked, or for how long, but it did work. 

If you planned on riding anyway, why have people tell you not to ride with your reeds looking like that. Don't complain if you have problems!!!