Specific description of trials boots

Can we talk about specific description of trials boots as compared to typical walking  boots. In pictures they look like ordinary boots that have the flap over the front so that they can incorporate the buckle type latch. They look like they offer nothing more than this. But you tell me, I have never handled a pair. I have still not purchased a pair. I am trying to decide if I can replace my typical big, bulky, stiff,  riding boot with a boot able to "feel" better [not comfort, but trials riders know what I mean]. I often just wear my walking boots when I know better because I hate the stiffness of my other. And because of that, I hurt my foot yesterday. I need to do something. What does a trial boot have for protection as compared to average walking boots

You pose a valid question. I have purchased a high end pair of trials boots.
I think you can duplicate the same level of comfort, functionality, and safety with your "walking boots".
My take is that you can't go wrong with the right gear. You can go wrong with substitute gear. Like anything in life, one's budget and priorities determine the choice.

Mark

Trials boots vary in support and protection.  I used to wear Gaerne Balance Oiled boots.  They are at the one extreme if you want a lot of flexibility and feel.... very soft and pliable, with no extra protection on toe or anywhere.  The soles are very soft and don't have a steel shank. Once you break them in, they are more like tall slippers than boots. 

I now wear the new Alpinestars Tech T boots.  They are at the other end, but still offer plenty of feel, with an reinforced toe cap, shift pad on both boots and more heel protection.  A soft sole with good traction and peg feel, but a steel shank that gives you more support.  They need a little more break in, but I'm not afraid to do other riding in them, but would do a serious fast trail ride or race in them.  I'm much happier with the Tech T's, over the Balance Oiled.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, Norman_Foley said:

Trials boots vary in support and protection.  I used to wear Gaerne Balance Oiled boots.  They are at the one extreme if you want a lot of flexibility and feel.... very soft and pliable, with no extra protection on toe or anywhere.  The soles are very soft and don't have a steel shank. Once you break them in, they are more like tall slippers than boots. 

I now wear the new Alpinestars Tech T boots.  They are at the other end, but still offer plenty of feel, with an reinforced toe cap, shift pad on both boots and more heel protection.  A soft sole with good traction and peg feel, but a steel shank that gives you more support.  They need a little more break in, but I'm not afraid to do other riding in them, but would do a serious fast trail ride or race in them.  I'm much happier with the Tech T's, over the Balance Oiled.

Thanks, the push I needed

Because I have such a small foot, I've been having trouble finding a pair. And I swear the people that sell trials gear are some of the most unhelpful I've ever come across. I fear spending tons of money in shipping returns, so I'm biding my time until I can find a vendor where I can try some on. (I've emailed and called countless vendors just asking for a measurement of the length of the insole. Most don't bother even answering my messages).

I use to wear work boots, but the heel made for cumbersome feel. I happened across a pair of lace up leather boots, but with a trials-like smooth bottom sole (no heel) They work great. Especially after many reviews like the earlier post about the Gaerne slippers, I don't feel I'm any worse off.

I am looking for a pair still. The Forma's are what I'm leaning toward. I considered the Alpinestars due to their rigidity, but I want a sewed-on sole. I really like the look and price of some of the brands like Wulfsport, etc, but again, can't get any of the vendors abroad to even answer my messages.

1 hour ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Because I have such a small foot, I've been having trouble finding a pair. And I swear the people that sell trials gear are some of the most unhelpful I've ever come across. I fear spending tons of money in shipping returns, so I'm biding my time until I can find a vendor where I can try some on. (I've emailed and called countless vendors just asking for a measurement of the length of the insole. Most don't bother even answering my messages).

I use to wear work boots , but the heel made for cumbersome feel. I happened across a pair of lace up leather boots, but with a trials-like smooth bottom sole (no heel) They work great. Especially after many reviews like the earlier post about the Gaerne slippers, I don't feel I'm any worse off.

I am looking for a pair still. The Forma's are what I'm leaning toward. I considered the Alpinestars due to their rigidity, but I want a sewed-on sole. I really like the look and price of some of the brands like Wulfsport, etc, but again, can't get any of the vendors abroad to even answer my messages.

I hurt my foot last week, just getting where I can put weight on it, likely because sole did not have a built in support. Body weight needs help being distributed. My comfortable work boots were causing  all the weight with G forces to hurt my foot. I ride woods with extreme terrain. Never again on my work boots. I always learn the hard way

On 3/15/2017 at 5:47 PM, Norman_Foley said:

I agree. I have a pair of the balanced oiled but only wear them practicing. Hate to say it but I wear my Gaerne SG10's on the trail. Lousy feel but almost bulletproof. 

21 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

I agree. I have a pair of the balanced oiled but only wear them practicing. Hate to say it but I wear my Gaerne SG10's on the trail. Lousy feel but almost bulletproof. 

I left out a "not", as in not race or seriously trail ride in them.   I wear Gaerne SG11's racing and trail riding.  I think the latest version of the SG10, is like the SG11. It was a hybrid of SG10 and SG12 and only sold for a few years.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 9:41 AM, 1gr8bldr said:

I like the new Sidis. Little light on protection, but then I suppose I should have expected that. Buckles are great

The Discovery has been my go to trail riding boot for decades. Wear them with some simple MX knee pads and you will be well protected. They are built on the same pattern as the Trial boot but are heavier and more protective, as well as reasonably water resistant.