sold my crf250l

exactly after 1 year using it 90% off-road I sold this bike.

The only mods worthy adding IMO were front and rear sprocket (13/42).

Anything else is too expensive to value of the crf250l.

Anyway very nice trail bike, but not adequate for aggressive riding.

Suspension way too soft, big weight and powerless engine convinced me

to sell it.  thanks for all great advice on this forum, cheers!

1 hour ago, motf said:

exactly after 1 year using it 90% off-road I sold this bike.

The only mods worthy adding IMO were front and rear sprocket (13/42).

Anything else is too expensive to value of the crf250l.

Anyway very nice trail bike, but not adequate for aggressive riding.

Suspension way too soft, big weight and powerless engine convinced me

to sell it.  thanks for all great advice on this forum, cheers!

Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1

In the right hands this bike is Trail worthy, the only thing that I am beginning to find a handful after a half day on tight trails is the weight and the stock tires. You are right if you ride 90% off road this is not the bike to buy.

36 minutes ago, alucard0822 said:

Plenty of good enduro bikes out there, just cost about 50% more, need 10X the maintenence, and usually suck onroad in traffic, if they are legal in the first place.  The L is good for what it is, not what it isn't

Good points other than the maintenance. 

I have a CRF450X. Other than normal maintenance you'd do on any bike (chain/sprocket/tires/air filter/brake pads) it doesn't require THAT much maintenance. People make it seem to require valve adjustments just from sitting in the garage not even running. ? The factory service manual says to change oil every 600 miles when NOT racing. Nobody believes that and changes it constantly because it makes them feel like they're maintaining their special needs bike more often. 

I don't want to ride my 450X on pavement. I don't want to ride any motorcycle on pavement really so I don't care about plates or top speed either. 

• Like 2

I have a CRF450X. Other than normal maintenance you'd do on any bike (chain/sprocket/tires/air filter/brake pads) it doesn't require THAT much maintenance. People make it seem to require valve adjustments just from sitting in the garage not even running.? The factory service manual says to change oil every 600 miles when NOT racing. Nobody believes that and changes it constantly because it makes them feel like they're maintaining their special needs bike more often. 
I don't want to ride my 450X on pavement. I don't want to ride any motorcycle on pavement really so I don't care about plates or top speed either. 

I get people telling me the same about my CRF250X maintenance. I do what's required when is required and it doesn't feel like a lot of maintaining. The only extra thing I really do over the CRF150F is checking valve clearance. I do them more often than if I just rode trails because mine is plated and I do ride it on the street but it only takes like 15 mins to do.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cuttlefish said:

Fair points. It is what it is. If you're heading into enduro kind of riding then an enduro bike makes sense.

What did you replace it with?

didn't choose yet - definitely one of these: ktm 450exc, klx450r, wr450f.

3 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I have a CRF450X. Other than normal maintenance you'd do on any bike (chain/sprocket/tires/air filter/brake pads) it doesn't require THAT much maintenance. People make it seem to require valve adjustments just from sitting in the garage not even running. ? The factory service manual says to change oil every 600 miles when NOT racing. Nobody believes that and changes it constantly because it makes them feel like they're maintaining their special needs bike more often. 

Exactly how I feel, some guys (Motonomad) change oil in ktm exc every 2000km without any engine problems when not racing, it's plenty of time.

Also, I have no interest in riding on pavement on bikes like these. Got better suited motorcycle for that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jasongind said:

I get people telling me the same about my CRF250X maintenance. I do what's required when is required and it doesn't feel like a lot of maintaining. The only extra thing I really do over the CRF150F is checking valve clearance. I do them more often than if I just rode trails because mine is plated and I do ride it on the street but it only takes like 15 mins to do.

It's usually the two stroke or air cooled four stroke crowd who uses this to assist with their justification for owning what they have. If somebody likes what they have - great - but constantly telling others that their choice is wrong gets old. 

• Like 2

If I were to get a dedicated dirt bike I think I would go with the Beta 300 xtrainer ... this thing looks like a blast from the videos I have seen.  And I think that I have read that it is one of the lightest bikes out there....  :ride: 

Key Features:

-All-New Deltabox frame designed to be more compact

-Super Smooth, 300 cc 2 stroke engine with adjustable powervalve

-Special "torque" exhaust system

-Electric start

-Cooling fan  

-Electronic oil injection (no need to pre-mix)

-35.8" seat height

-10% smaller frame and overall size (compared to a standard Enduro model) 

-Light, 218 lb. dry weight

http://www.betausa.com/content/beta-xtrainer

Xtrainer%20RH%20side-LR.jpg

this is not snark, or sarcasm.....I cannot tell you how happy I am for you that you're taking the initiative to get a bike that you're actually going to enjoy for the purposes you want to have a bike. let us know what you settle on and how it shakes out for you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gnath9 said:

If I were to get a dedicated dirt bike I think I would go with the Beta 300 xtrainer ... this thing looks like a blast from the videos I have seen.  And I think that I have read that it is one of the lightest bikes out there....  :ride: 

Key Features:

-All-New Deltabox frame designed to be more compact

-Super Smooth, 300 cc 2 stroke engine with adjustable powervalve

-Special "torque" exhaust system

-Electric start

-Cooling fan  

-Electronic oil injection (no need to pre-mix)

-35.8" seat height

-10% smaller frame and overall size (compared to a standard Enduro model) 

-Light, 218 lb. dry weight

http://www.betausa.com/content/beta-xtrainer

Xtrainer%20RH%20side-LR.jpg

Great bike, I love mine. I Have mine plated too.

My previous bike was Kawasaki KLX250S.  

Edited by FUHL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crapflinger said:

this is not snark, or sarcasm.....I cannot tell you how happy I am for you that you're taking the initiative to get a bike that you're actually going to enjoy for the purposes you want to have a bike. let us know what you settle on and how it shakes out for you.

thank you ?   I should probably get proper bike from the start as some here suggested and they were right

but money was tight at that time and crf250l price was hard to beat. Although price is going up each year. The gap between wr250r is smaller and smaller.

Anyway I squeezed all I could from this bike and now just it was holding me back so had to change . 

• Like 1

I was considering Beta as well, good bikes but not the 2 stroke though (hate sound of 2 stoke)

but the enduro 4 stroke 480rr. Will be doing some rallies this year and not sure if beta would be good for

desert, open spaces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motf said:

I was considering Beta as well, good bikes but not the 2 stroke though (hate sound of 2 stoke)

but the enduro 4 stroke 480rr. Will be doing some rallies this year and not sure if beta would be good for

desert, open spaces.

The Xtrainer is my first 2 stroke, I wont be going back anytime soon. This bike outshines a WR426F I had about 10 years ago.

• Like 1