Will I get killed on a 250

I'm 4 10 and want a trials bike but 125s are rare but 250s are less rare would I hurt myself on a 250

Doubt your height would be an issue on a trials bike . Power can be tamed by a cam throttle and gearing . If your light you might find the power is really manageable because you might be able to ride a gear higher than most 

But you wouldn't be worried about an 80lb kid with about a year and a half of riding on a crf100 on a 250

by the way I'm 13

You might be a bit light .....Lol

another thought is if the 250cc are cheap 

you could join a trails club and swap someone for a 125cc that might suit you better. 

I would go to a trials meet and have a ride on both

Find your closest Trials Club and they will help you.  I say an 80 or 125, but I'm an old guy who rides a 125...

Alright but there are no trials clubs in Manitoba only in Saskatchewan which is like 8 hours away

1 minute ago, Enduro4 said:

Alright but there are no trials clubs in Manitoba only in Saskatchewan which is like 8 hours away

That sucks, but don't give up!

I guess I'll have to convince my dad to go on a road trip 

• Like 1

have cash in hand if you go to a meet , you might get lucky and score a 125

K I'll do that

im lucky that summer is coming up so I'll some chances to earn some cash 

You'll be fine on a 250. You can install a throttle cam if needed to tame it down as kxrob mentioned. This may sound a bit strange but a 250 won't launch much harder than a 125 if you're really light. The reverse doesn't really work that way for us big guys.

Domino black tube "Slow" trials throttle assembly is what you would need on a 250.  The 125 is a little more nimble than the 250, especially for a smaller rider.  I vote 125, but I ride one and it still has the Domino white tube "Fast" trials throttle assembly, that came stock.

If you take your time and get used to the throttle response you should be good to go with the 250.  On the plus side it will outlast your growth spurts on the horizon better than the 125 would.  Riding trials is so much more than just the motorcycle or size of engine.  As other posters have stated, you can always get a throttle tube with a slower opening rate.

If you can find a 125 more power to ya. I couldn't find one in a year of looking. Don't worry about engine size, larger engines are fully manageable for a beginner. Just be careful with the throttle till you get to know the bike, power delivery is instantaneous and can be ferocious. Use your brain and reasonable caution and you will be fine.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, Enduro4 said:

But you wouldn't be worried about an 80lb kid with about a year and a half of riding on a crf100 on a 250

by the way I'm 13

When I bought my first modern Trials bike I was advised to avoid the 270s and go 250 or 300 because of their softer throttle response.

The comments about throttle cams are right on. I've owned open class 2T MX bikes and the throttle response on my Trials bike was intimidating so I installed a carb return spring from a XR to increase throttle effort and that helped a lot, plus the throttle pull now feels more like my other bikes.   My grandson is 13 and is out growing his CRF150R, and he rides his dad's CRF450R so he thinks it will be his next bike.
So you can do it, but it is a steep learning curve so wear protective gear and be careful. 
Body position is everything on a Trials bike, you need to move your body forward before opening the throttle so the foot pegs can move your body forward, not your grip on the bars. That light grip on the bars is less tiring and suits the light control effort of the brake and clutch.