2017 450 SX-F Suspension settings - AER

Just wondering where everyone ended up at. I finally have 4 hours on the bike, so I'm going to start making some adjustments. And, all I have to go off of are the MXA recommended settings since there's not a thread on here that I can find.

Anyone drop the forks down to the 3rd line?

The forks felt pretty good at 146PSI and 15/15 on the clickers and at stock they're halfway between 1st and 2nd line on the clamps. The rear end feels weird to me. In the sand it almost felt like there's no rebound or it's too slow. Increase the SAG a couple MM and speed up the rebound?

Most people slow the rebound to 12

What weight are you on?

Intermediate soft tracks:
Fork C18 R13-15, 154psi, fork height between 1st and 2nd line
Shock C15 R14-15 HSC 2.5 38mm/48nm.

Hardpacked:
Fork C18 R10, 154psi, fork height 2:nd line
Shock C15 R15 HSC 2.5 38mm/48nm.

Sand:
Fork C18 R13, 154psi, flush
Shock C15 R12-13 HSC 2.0-2.5 38mm/48nm/108mm

You can also try 153psi 39mm static.

Edited by addeeriksson
  • Like 2

I'm close to 200lbs with gear. How much do you weigh?

And thanks for posting your numbers!

Edited by XtremeDuners

9 hours ago, XtremeDuners said:

I'm close to 200lbs with gear. How much do you weigh?

And thanks for post your numbers!

200lbs without gear

Hey guys,

I'm 160lbs without gear. Ride MX only. Currently running about 150PSI in the forks and ride mostly at a hard packed track. I'm wondering if I should be dropping down to about 145PSI at my weight though. The suspension works great however it does feel a tad too stiff for me and I can tell I'm not using full travel unless i over jump one of the larger jumps by mistake (which happens from time to time and is fine). 

Anyone else around have suggestions for my weight?

What are you guys setting the sag at?  I'm about 180 w/gear, running 134 in the fork with no complaint on the front, but the back end feels like it jolts my spine on hole and bumps on the track. I'd have to check my notes, but I think I'm running about 12/13 out on C&R. I've tried moving it around, but not much change.

3 hours ago, Phineas7 said:

What are you guys setting the sag at?  I'm about 180 w/gear, running 134 in the fork with no complaint on the front, but the back end feels like it jolts my spine on hole and bumps on the track. I'd have to check my notes, but I think I'm running about 12/13 out on C&R. I've tried moving it around, but not much change.

You will probably want to check to see if you have the right spring for you.  Typical SAG and what I am using is 105.  Once you get that set, check what the static SAG is which is the bike balanced off the stand.  You should be between 30 and 40mm of free sag meaning just the weight of the bike.  The higher the number the closer you are to having a spring that is too stiff and will want a softer spring.  It seems backward but it isn't.  The higher the SAG number, the stiffer the spring.  If you are around 35mm static sag then you are good on the spring rate.  The next thing to try is backing out your high speed compression about 1/2 turn and try that.  This will make a big difference on the quick harsh stuff.  Good luck.

Oh, to check static sag, take it off the stand and push down on the seat and let it come back up slowly.  Sorry if you already know all this but wasn't sure.

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape
  • Like 1

I had about 100mm of sag. I set it to 105. Static is about 37. Comp was on 17 out, I'll try 15. Reb is at 12. I was running it stiffer a month or two back, but had softened in up to try and help this problem. I set high speed to 2.5.

3 hours ago, Phineas7 said:

I had about 100mm of sag. I set it to 105. Static is about 37. Comp was on 17 out, I'll try 15. Reb is at 12. I was running it stiffer a month or two back, but had softened in up to try and help this problem. I set high speed to 2.5.

Your spring is close to being too stiff as you are close to the upper range.  What was the HS compression before setting to 2.5?  If it was 2.0, then you will likely feel a big difference and may correct your problem.  If it improves it but not as much as you would like, you may want to go to a softer spring.  But moving the HS comp a half turn works wonders on the small, square edged, harsh stuff.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape
  • Like 1

Zip,

thanks for the tip on the static sag. I was thinking of it the opposite.

What do you think about my spring and numbers. 

I am 210# without gear. gear up rtr, my sag is right at 105, maybe 106. static sag is 38mm. I have a OEM KTM 5.1 spring in there. I have a 48 as well.

Seems like I am always right in between...

1 hour ago, Zip-tyDuctTape said:

Your spring is close to being too stiff as you are close to the upper range.  What was the HS compression before setting to 2.5?  If it was 2.0, then you will likely feel a big difference and may correct your problem.  If it improves it but not as much as you would like, you may want to go to a softer spring.  But moving the HS comp a half turn works wonders on the small, square edged, harsh stuff.  Hope this helps.

I was at 2.25 for HS. Maybe I'll try 3.0.

I'll look into what spring is on it, and what the next softer spring is.

Dont go below 105 in SAG. 107-110 i would say and 38-40. 105 and those numbers might work on hard packed but with 48nm springs and up it becomes super stiff and arm pump comes flying when riding softer tracks.

I would say 38-39 static, 107-110 rider sag. Then you can go back out to around 15 in rebound. 152-154psi in fork i run. 200lbs, 48nm, around 6mm preload. 2017 450 SXF with 49 gearing.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, kylant said:

Zip,

thanks for the tip on the static sag. I was thinking of it the opposite.

What do you think about my spring and numbers. 

I am 210# without gear. gear up rtr, my sag is right at 105, maybe 106. static sag is 38mm. I have a OEM KTM 5.1 spring in there. I have a 48 as well.

Seems like I am always right in between...

Kylant,

Just my $0.02. It sounds like your spring is pretty close to what you need but you are toward the stiff side at 38mm static so you could try the 48 N/mm (4.9 Kg/mm) which is the next step below a 5.1 Kg/mm.  I don't know why the industry can't just pick a unit of measure. :banghead:.  But I would only do that if you are experiencing one or more of the following issues: too stiff to seat bounce jumps, harsh square edges in the rear (funny), having to run your rebound clickers to extreme to prevent fast rebound.

If you have these types of issues, you may want to try backing out the HS compression a half turn and see what that does.  If the HS doesn't help much you may want to try the softer spring.

Just for reference guys: These are the conversions for the 2 common Unit of Measures.  You can see how the decimal is one higher than the N/mm.

Spring Rates Conversion.JPG

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape

To clarify why having a higher static sag means a stiffer spring is because the stiffer the spring the less pre-load you have to put on the spring to get your race sag.  The reason it sags more on it's own with a stiffer spring is because there is barely any pre-load on it thus allowing it to compress much easier.  Hope this helps.  Many people get this backward.

I'm sure there are doubters out there so here you go.  Thanks to Pro Circuit.  Some of you may have heard of them. :rolleyes:

Static Sag Info.JPG

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape