99 WR400F Float Bowl

I need some help. Had my second one of these bikes stolen from me back in 08 and just replaced it last month. It has sat for awhile so needed a carb clean. First thing I noticed is a bolt screwed into the overflow tube. Okay I figured this was from buddy so he could sell it with a stuck needle and seat. 

Low and behold when I popped open the float bowl the overflow tube is missing. I'm okay with fixing this, as I have already tried with a stainless pen tube, but I think i have guessed it too short, or since my needle and seat haven't arrived yet the fuels not shutting off, as it still overflows. I will admit I didn't check the required 8mm on the floats as I don't have my rebuild kit here yet.

So here's my questions..... Can anyone get me the measurement of the tube and I'll cut a new one and install, or does anyone have a parts carb and wants to sell the float bowl for this carb.

Thanks in advance, Art. Tator Fabrications, Langley B.C. Canada.

Edited by TatorFab

Interesting. I have a similar situation. Had an overflow issue with my 99 WR400F. Always figured float was stuck & just always turned the gas off at the petcock.

After storing over the winter (running prior) bike didn't idle right so I decided to clean-up the carb. First time I had removed it. Overflow tube was broken. I was cautious removing it, but may have broken it myself, but who knows.

Anyway, same issue. I tried to buy a replacement bowl on-line & Bike bandit said after market replacement wasn't available.

Good Luck, & any advice would be appreciated.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:20 PM, earmo1 said:

Interesting. I have a similar situation. Had an overflow issue with my 99 WR400F. Always figured float was stuck & just always turned the gas off at the petcock.

After storing over the winter (running prior) bike didn't idle right so I decided to clean-up the carb. First time I had removed it. Overflow tube was broken. I was cautious removing it, but may have broken it myself, but who knows.

Anyway, same issue. I tried to buy a replacement bowl on-line & Bike bandit said after market replacement wasn't available.

Good Luck, & any advice would be appreciated.

Have you still got the tube? If so can you please measure it? What I did was used a stainless steel pen tube, heated and cleaned the ink out with thinners and acetone, drilled the 1/8" tube size in the old hole and jb welded the pen tube in. I can't post the pics from my phone right now, but you can do the same thing, just need the length of tube overall fron bottom of bowl to top of tube.

I fear I cut mine too short, but have to do it all over again this weekend anyways since I got the correct carb kit now.

Edited by TatorFab

I do have the tube.  Not home this weekend,  but will measure this week & post it. Eyeball estimate is ~2 1/2".

I tried similar, but drilled and  reused tube. Fitted with aluminum /magnesium repair product.  Leaked.

JB weld is a good suggestion. Thanks.

I tube is brass or. Copper.  I will measure, photograph & post.

Thanks. 

Excellent. Yes this is what I did and I guessed it 1/4 higher than the top of the bowl, but I should have made it long and cut to fit in hindsight. 

Jb weld was an 1/8" up from bottom of tube, then rotated when touched the bowl to spread it as I pushed the tube in. 

image.jpeg

I do have the tube.  Not home this weekend,  but will measure this week & post it. Eyeball estimate is ~2 1/2".

I tried similar, but drilled and  reused tube. Fitted with aluminum /magnesium repair product.  Leaked.

Thanks. 

On 3/18/2017 at 8:28 AM, earmo1 said:

Thanks. 

Any chance you have measured it yet? Just tore carb open again for full rebuild. Thanks.

Fill tube extends about 1 5/8" above inside of the bowl. Mine is broken, bottom portion still in place,  extending approx 1/2" from outside bottom of the bowl.
Total tube about 2 1/2". Hope this helps.  Good luck. I will try the JB Weld.  

Thanks,  

20170327_184328.jpg

20170327_184537.jpg