2007 CRF 450R Hard Starting

Just bought the bike(35 hours)last Friday and rode it a bit over the weekend.Started within 10 kicks on both days,but just now have kicked it over 100 times(choke out)and acted like it wanted to start a dozen times but no go(full gas tank).Thinking it may be valves and is going in the shop next week,but wanted to ride it a bit right now.Any suggestions?

Lol? glad it started dude. 10 kicks is too many tho. Check your jetting and air/fuel screws. Set it back to stock settings. I bet u could get it starting within 1-3 kicks.

• Like 1

Do you work on your own bikes?  (the going to the shop comment sounds like you don't?)

Before handing over a lot of your money, why don't you make sure the air filter is clean, check the valve clearance (checks are easy, adjusting is way more involved, so just check to see).

When it does start on choke, how long does it take before it runs cleanly with no choke?  Like ~1 minute?  Or way more?  The pilot jet might be a bit gummed up.  

I have an 06, on initial start of the day, it might take 5-6 kicks to get going.  Once warm, one good kick works.  Always needs the choke for first start of the day, can turn the choke off after ~1 minute.

Pulling the carb off is fairly involved if you don't do much work yourself, but if the filter is clean and the valve clearance is good, you might need to dig into the carb.  I would suggest just replacing the pilot jet vs. trying to clean it.  They should be like $4-$6 for a new one.  

• Like 1

Just got back,had it shut off for an hour shootin' the bull and started on 1st kick when I left.Gonna change oil,filter,clean air filter,etc. this weekend and when I drop it off at Precision Concepts in Riverside next week for suspension work will have them go over/thru everything while it's there so I know where I stand.I could probably muddle thru the valve adjustment,etc. but just want someone knowledgeable about these bikes to go over it first.

Any of you CA guys from down my way(south of Corona/north of Elsinore on the 15)?

My bike did the same thing until i put a new APE head on it. started 4 kick after rebuild. Before the rebuild i kicked it over like 300 to 400 times, then said screw this and tore the motor apart and ordered a new top end. the valves were zeroed out no more room for adjustment.

• Like 1

I'm definitely going to have it looked at,the guy I bought it from(he bought it new)rode it about 5 hours a year and had it serviced by a reputable shop every spring when he brought it home from Havasu(supposedly including valve adjustment,etc.).I don't think he ever ran it all that hard so hoping the head's still serviceable(if that's my issue)or maybe the carb needs looked at,etc.

I'm definitely going to have it looked at,the guy I bought it from(he bought it new)rode it about 5 hours a year and had it serviced by a reputable shop every spring when he brought it home from Havasu(supposedly including valve adjustment,etc.).I don't think he ever ran it all that hard so hoping the head's still serviceable(if that's my issue)or maybe the carb needs looked at,etc.

What's the temp where you are?
For my 08 (valves in spec) I always get it on compression stroke, twist the throttle 3-4 times and give her a kick. Starts first kick almost every time. Give it a try

It's been in the high 80's for the past week bro(way too hot for this early in the year here,should be around 70)and am going to try your method today as my lack of technique is probably the problem.I read where the carb has an accelerator pump and if I twisted the throttle it would flood so to just pull out the choke(when cold)and start kicking(which hasn't worked out all that great:lol:).I've only started the bike 6 or 7 times since I got it a week ago and every time has been with a different procedure(choke on,choke off,a little throttle,no throttle,etc.,etc.,etc.,managed to flood it once as gas was dripping on the ground).Of course the day I bought it the previous owner started it on the 3rd kick,and I started it a couple of times within 3 or 4 kicks but it's hit and miss(the other night it had been off for over an hour and started on the 1st kick when I rode back to the house).The other day when it took me well over a 100 kicks(about every 4th or 5th kick it would act like it wanted to start but wouldn't)I only had on some Vans slip on tennis shoes,instep is still tender.:lol:

Thanks bro,

Jeff

It's been in the high 80's for the past week bro(way too hot for this early in the year here,should be around 70)and am going to try your method today as my lack of technique is probably the problem.I read where the carb has an accelerator pump and if I twisted the throttle it would flood so to just pull out the choke(when cold)and start kicking(which hasn't worked out all that great).I've only started the bike 6 or 7 times since I got it a week ago and every time has been with a different procedure(choke on,choke off,a little throttle,no throttle,etc.,etc.,etc.,managed to flood it once as gas was dripping on the ground).Of course the day I bought it the previous owner started it on the 3rd kick,and I started it a couple of times within 3 or 4 kicks but it's hit and miss(the other night it had been off for over an hour and started on the 1st kick when I rode back to the house).The other day when it took me well over a 100 kicks(about every 4th or 5th kick it would act like it wanted to start but wouldn't)I only had on some Vans slip on tennis shoes,instep is still tender.
Thanks bro,
Jeff

I feel your pain, I was the exact same when I bought mine. The guy started it no problem. I get home and go to start it and I had to take breaks in between sessions of trying to start it. Did you have any luck today?
  • Like 1

Never got around to it bro,both my trailer hitch and bike rack got here so got them put together,along with mowing the grass,weekly grocery shopping,etc.Today I'll change oil and filter,trans. fluid,clean the air filter,etc. Only bought a pair of Pro Taper tie downs last week so think I'll run up to Corona Motorsports this morning and get another pair plus a pair of wheel ties(should be plenty to secure the bike to the rack).

while you are at it -- replace the spark plug.

I ride with a group - we all have 05 - 07's CRF450R'S .... if you kick more than 4-5 times you are trying too hard or the bike needs something - fresh gas, carb cleaned, etc.

Starting process - like many bikes with a keihin-fcr carb and hot start:
kick it though to tdc.  let the lever all the way up - kick all the way through with a strong long - not too fast motion. Dont stab it like a two-stroke
when cold - choke out - 3-4 full wacks of the throttle - then throttle closed
warm - no throttle
luke warm - choke out - pull in hot start (this is the toughest time to start any bike with a carb)

• Like 1

Thanks Sandman,along with the oil,filter,etc.I do have a new plug to install and will try whacking the throttle several times(with choke out),have mostly just been trying with only the choke out when cold and a couple of times it started after only several kicks(and several times had to kick my ass off).:thumbsup:

WOOHOO!Pulled the choke out,twisted the throttle 4 times,started on 1st kick!:thumbsup:

Also,just now fired it back up to circulate new oil,etc.,had been sitting almost an hour and started again on 1st kick(no choke,no throttle,etc.).:thumbsup:

I'm stoked as hell now,you guys rock over here.:thumbsup:

Edited by piratediverjefff
  • Like 1

Must've jinxed myself a little with the WOOHOO,just finished putting on a new Uni air filter and thought I'd start it up again(bike had been sitting about 8 hours).Choke out and 4 quick twists of the throttle,took me 9 kicks...but I can live with that every now and then. :thumbsup:

Must've jinxed myself a little with the WOOHOO,just finished putting on a new Uni air filter and thought I'd start it up again(bike had been sitting about 8 hours).Choke out and 4 quick twists of the throttle,took me 9 kicks...but I can live with that every now and then.

Have you checked your clearances or changed the plug like mentioned above?
  • Like 1

Not yet bro,will see if I can get around to it today.Am going to take the Busa out this morning for a run up to Lookout Roadhouse and Hells Kitchen,haven't ridden it in several weeks and feelin' a little guilty.:lol:

Let us know how is goes .... the Later Honda 450's like the 07 have valves that need very little attention unless they are up in the 200+ hour range and / or ridden hard.

• Like 1

Just got back from a short ride on the Busa and thought I'd see how the 450 felt about starting this morning.Choke on,3 whacks of the throttle,started 1st kick! :thumbsup: Are these motors known for being a little noisy(especially at idle)?I'm used to not hearing any engine noise on the Busa(probably because of the fairings,etc.)so this little motor sounds pretty "clacketty",like a loose cam chain/valve noise,etc.Seems to go away or lesson some as I raise the rpms,may be just natural noises for this motor but not sure so thought I'd ask you guys in the know.

Thanks,

Jeff