Inspecting a non running bike for transmission issues?

Is there any way to evaluate the state of a transmission in a bike that doesn't run to verify that there's no broken gears, etc? I don't mind wrenching stuff, but I really don't like splitting cases, and have a few fix-r-upper's I've been taking a look at. Was hoping someone knew of some tricks.

Does the bike shift through all the gears? What does the trans oil look like? Buying a non-running bike is not worth a lot of money and should be looked at as something to part out. Expect the worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malignity said:

Is there any way to evaluate the state of a transmission in a bike that doesn't run to verify that there's no broken gears, etc? I don't mind wrenching stuff, but I really don't like splitting cases, and have a few fix-r-upper's I've been taking a look at. Was hoping someone knew of some tricks.

When I buy a non runner I toss in lower end work in the offer I make.  With that I always figure I am going to replace at least one shift fork.   It is hard to tell whether the gears are in good shape even if it does run,  sometimes.   If you remove the plug and put a speed handle on the countershaft and have someone shift as you turn the wrench you should be able to feel each gear.  Before you do that,  try it on as similar of a rig as you can find that you know works well,  so you have something to compare it to.   It is a lot of work to go through with a 4 stroke.  

• Like 1