Help ID pipe on 200 EXC/XC-W

Hi,

There's a 2016 EXC 200 for sale near my place. I'm trying to figure out how much different it is from a US XC-W 200. It looks the same, but the pipe is definitely different from the Australian EXC 200 and US XC-W 200. Instead of twirling out and being fat like the US models, this one sticks right out in a skinny tube, then has a smaller "fat" section that isn't nearly as big as the US models. Is it the Euro version? If so, what's up with the pipe? Is it designed to be road legal/tame the bike/meet emissions or decibel requirements or something?

IMG_20161214_090418_HDR_1489674520333.jpg

IMG_20161225_182359_1489674488191.jpg

IMG_20170206_114152_1489674374553.jpg

This is the "legislation" pipe. This can not be used for anything other than getting your bike through MOT or whatever you call it. The bike should have the standard pipe in a box with it. It looks like this is a brand new bike and that explains why it has this pipe. If you buy it, make sure to remove the other emission stuff too. Like the plastic thing in the airbox, the throttle stop and obviously the pipe. Also put it the correct jets and needle.

• Like 2

Ah, big thanks. Yes, the bike is new. I wondered if there might be a different pipe in a box as with Yamaha's. I guess there's a box with mirrors, the three different springs and all that then. Great, thanks.

Hey borg, how does your 200 EXC compare to other bikes you've had, if any? I've had a KDX 200 which I assume is very similar. Just sold my 2005 WR450F and looking for a new bike. I do a bit of single track, but mostly flowing trails and some open fire roads. One thing I liked about the 450 is that I could basically ride it in 2nd and 3rd most of the time, and go up to 4th when needed. 3rd was definitely the most used of the wide ratio. One thing I do find attractive is the relatively simple and low-maintenance costs. Gaskets are dirt cheap, pistons as well and so on.

1-Seems like the 200 needs a lot of clutching to get it going. Do you find it problematic in any way?

2-How many km can you do on the stock tank? I hate mixing gas and carrying bottles of oil on multiple-day trips (which I often do). However, I've heard that the 200 is alright on gas for a 2-stroke.

11 hours ago, Bitteeinbit said:

Hey borg, how does your 200 EXC compare to other bikes you've had, if any? I've had a KDX 200 which I assume is very similar. Just.

1-Seems like the 200 needs a lot of clutching to get it going. Do you find it problematic in any way?

2-How many km can you do on the stock tank? I hate mixing gas and carrying bottles of oil on multiple-day trips (which I often do). However, I've heard that the 200 is alright on gas for a 2-stroke.

Proper carb tuning will have you using the clutch a lot less and will see the tank go a lot further then the standard jetting will allow .

ditch the standard ktm needle if you want to improve 1 and 2 

I've ridden some 300s and 250f, 350f, 250s and had a 450 before I bought my 200. All the other bikes had something good and bad but none had the overall fun package than the 200. It is for sure not perfect for everything, but it is a bike I can bring to it's limit at least sometimes. And having a 2stroke sing is pure music. Fuel range is very good and the 200 was always using a little less than the other 2strokes. I get about 100km out of a full tank, but that is not saying anything, because it heavily depends on riding style and terrain.

Proper carb tuning will have you using the clutch a lot less and will see the tank go a lot further then the standard jetting will allow .
ditch the standard ktm needle if you want to improve 1 and 2 

What jet do you recommend? JD? Typically hear good things about them. I do find jetting a bit of a hassle and was never able to get my KDX to run perfectly. Never did those chop tests. Good enough for me, but I knew it wasn't that great. Then again, it was a 20 year old model intended for the Japanese market, so carb was a different size than US and so on. I do find fuel injection on the 4 strokes nice.

I've ridden some 300s and 250f, 350f, 250s and had a 450 before I bought my 200. All the other bikes had something good and bad but none had the overall fun package than the 200. It is for sure not perfect for everything, but it is a bike I can bring to it's limit at least sometimes. And having a 2stroke sing is pure music. Fuel range is very good and the 200 was always using a little less than the other 2strokes. I get about 100km out of a full tank, but that is not saying anything, because it heavily depends on riding style and terrain.

The "fun factor" you mention is one thing I keep hearing about the 200 which draws me to it. I always felt really fast on my KDX and when I got the 450 it felt like a big heavy beast as first. Downside is the smokers don't feel as planted, but when you're hitting the pipe it's definitely fun and feels like you're going 100kph. Downside is it kind of sucks to be doing highway riding on one with the ring ding ding sound going (I occasionally have to do 60-80kmh on some roads).

One thing of great importance to me: is it fairly easy to wheelie? I love the torque of the 450 when in 3rd. I can easily loft the front wheel if I see an obstacle in the way (big puddle, berm etc). I don't even clutch, just compress the suspension and make sure I'm in low enough revs, twist the throttle and keep my weight to the rear. I don't expect it to lift in 5th-6th, but in your experience is it possible to loft the front up a bit when flowing through a track in 3rd or 4th?

If you do mainly fireroads and fast flowing stuff and also tarmac, then I think a big 4stroke like the 350EXC is best.

I would not like to change anyway though. I just love that moped feeling.