2017 450 SXF gearing

For those who are riding SX tracks, what hearing are you using?

Granted, the bike has way more power than I'll ever need (or use) but I can't shake he feeling that it's would be more efficient with shorter gearing. This could also be just a residual habit from my superbike days where I'd always add a few teeth on the rear.

I had a 2015 YZ450F and that bike was very awake, but without a lot of clutch use and millimeter adjustments in throttle pull it would regularly break the wheel loose for a free spin fiesta... even with the ignition mapped for slippery terrain.  I like the power delivery on the KTM, it's got a bit more traction and a lot quicker out of turns.  I'm hoping the 1 or 2 teeth drop wont change it much...gotta experiment and see.

For SX?! If you really meant that doubtful you will find much help here. For MX I personally feel the stock gearing is very good and well matched to the power output. One thing I've noticed about the KTM 450 is that I can stretch my shift points further...holding it on into higher rpm's is like "hyperdrive". I was riding the bike like Japanese 450's at first...not correct. Also I like the std setting for the map for the same reason...pulls mid to upper rpm's better.

Well I am just coming from the YZ, and the instant your on this bike it does feel completely different.  Right now it just feels like I'm having to hit jumps in a higher RPM and not cause the motor is lacking.

Yes, exactly. The YZ450F has more bottom to mid, KTM has more mid to top. That's just seat of the pants, some dyno geek will probably tell me I'm wrong. [emoji851]
KTM is rewarding when held on longer. I have the WC hr meter and it tells me max rpm's, if it's 7,800-8,100, then shifting too soon. Hold it on and let'r eat!
For a little more snap off bottom take out spark arrestor (remove and die grind or file off screen). Also this is the first bike I've ever owned where the engine actually did free up after about 5hrs.
Gearing is all personal preference. If you ride like RV2 and like a big hit v.s. RD5 style, smoother and don't want the bark upsetting rutted corners.

I run 14-52. It allows me to pull a higher  gear in turns and i don't have to shift nearly as much. I can ride most mx tracks just using 3rd and 4th. Im not sure how it would be in SX. It also makes the chassis handle better having bigger sprockets. 

• Like 2

That's due to ktm wanting the power to be controllable, the txt may jump forward harder , but it will spin up easier and more often than not , it won't actually accelerate faster , seat of the pants is fooled by a hit in power

I just recently picked up a 17 450sxf. I've only put 1.5 hours on it so far. I changed the throttle cam last night and will try it out this weekend. The next thing will be a tooth or two bigger rear sprocket. I'm sure I'll get the Ktm set up more to my liking.

• Like 1