F150 W/2.7 Eco-Boost?

About time to get a new truck and have been considering the F150 4x4 with the 2.7 Eco-Boost motor.

It will replace my 03 F250 7.3 psd. 4x4 6-sp manual

I've never towed with the old truck and don't plan with the new one, but need an automatic that the wife can drive if needed.

Anyone have experience with this motor? I'll be moving out of state soon and need good mileage as the property is 50-miles from the nearest town.,

Thank you

I bought a 3.5L so I could pull my camper. I took my buddy for a ride and he was so impressed that he wanted one himself. I took him in and he ended up leaving with an extended cab 2.7L 4x4 auto XLT. He put some wheels and tires on it, leveled it, and has a big tool box in the back full of chains and straps... He has a 70 mile round trip to work everyday, and it's 80% highway, with some county highway and dirt road mixed in. He gets just a hair over 22 mpg.

11 hours ago, Elkstalker77 said:

I bought a 3.5L so I could pull my camper. I took my buddy for a ride and he was so impressed that he wanted one himself. I took him in and he ended up leaving with an extended cab 2.7L 4x4 auto XLT. He put some wheels and tires on it, leveled it, and has a big tool box in the back full of chains and straps... He has a 70 mile round trip to work everyday, and it's 80% highway, with some county highway and dirt road mixed in. He gets just a hair over 22 mpg.

Majority of the new F150 on the lots here are 2.7, reason I'm curious about the engine.

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Domenic_WRF

If I had bought a new F150, I would have gotten the 2.7.  IMO it’s the best engine in their lineup unless you regularly tow heavier loads.  I test drove a few of the newer 2.7’s, all crew cab 4x4 trucks, and was amazed with the power.  I ended up buying a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, and the butt dyno says that the 2.7's I drove were every bit as fast as mine.  From the hours and hours I spent on F150 forums researching, there hasn’t been any engine issues with the 2.7 like there was with the 3.5eb and the 5.0 when they were first launched in 2011.  It’s a rock solid engine so far, and as long as you stay out of the boost some drivers can actually approach the EPA ratings.

• Like 1

Bought one with the 2.7 a few months ago.  4x4 extended cab. So far so good. Power wise I'm pretty happy.  The last truck was an 07 Tundra with the 5.7. I would put them about even on how the power feels. Very smooth motor and transmission.  With the motor breaking in now I'm seeing about 20 mpg driving on the back country roads 35-50 mph speed limit roads. The Tundra would get 16mpg under the same conditions. 

On the freeway I've seen 22mpg if you watch your speed. After 70 it get thirsty. 

If I had to do it over it would buy another. 

• Like 1

OP, 

if you don't plan to tow or haul much, don't rule out the naturally aspirated base 3.5 liter V6,

at 283HP / 255TQ, it's more powerful than most V8 powered pickups were 15+ years ago yet gets much gas better mileage.

I've got a 2014 F150 XL, since I'm not particularly fond of the latest re-style I was lucky to custom order it

very late in the season (Oct.2014) before all assembly plants were switched over to the '15 model year tooling.

With it's naturally aspirated base 3.7 liter V6 (302HP/278TQ), 6-speed auto, 3.73 axle ratio, occasional towing in the 1000-2500lbs range is quite easy.

(in this configuration it's actually rated around 6000lbs, with low 1st-2nd gears and 3.73 axle ratio, it doesn't take much torque to move things!)

On relatively flat ground, and driving at the provincial speed limit of 100km/h  (62MPH),

I regularly get 24MPG unladen, and even a respectable 19MPG with a 5'x9' platform trailer + dirtbike + gear/tools.

The initial price of a base engine equipped truck is much lower than the high demand Ecoboost versions, 

insurance premium are usually lower as well, and with less power on tap you're also less likely to want to floor it all the time!

The downside is lower resale value, not an issue if like me you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

IMGP5604.JPG

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Good suggestion. A friend has one(15) and is very happy. Excellent mileage and tows his bass boat with no problem. And no turbo issues to worry about after his warranty expires.

• Like 1